Page 67 of 74 FirstFirst ... 17 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1110

Thread: Championship Ladies SP

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post
    No, Mirai flutzes badly as well. It just doesn't make sense to give it to one and not the other. Sasha's is painfully obvious and the tech panel obviously chose to ignore it. The lutz also looked to be under-rotated as others have said.
    Yes, this is Meissner/Flatt 2007 Nationals SP, part deux. To downgrade or not to downgrade the combination jump? To mark the jump as a Lutz or a flutz? The USFSA judges have a bad habit of picking on the younger skater and giving her a penalty for her techical flaw, but giving the more accomplished skater easy padding for her mistake when they really should be consistent in scoring the errors equally among all the skaters. :banging:
    Last edited by museksk8r; 01-22-2010 at 03:32 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dwiggin3 View Post

If Sasha does not win, but is in the top 4 and not a total disaster, I can not understand why she would even be in the mix - it would seem the decision would come down to Wagner or Flatt. This of course, assumes they all preform at about the same level etc.

Thoughts?
    She has Olympic experience, none of the other girls do.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    Complete BS. When did she admit that? My eyes were glued to the screen the whole time when Andrea interviewed her. Stop spewing lies. Good grief.
    Here ya go, FlattFan & jenaj:

"I was a little anxious after I landed my triple flip; it was probably one of the worst landings I've had on my triple-triple all week. I just trusted my training at that point and pulled in and landed the toe."

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

"Flatt called her first two jumping passes "shaky" but was pleased by how she could call on her training to get through them."

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/olym...y-skating.html
    Last edited by cornell08; 01-22-2010 at 04:03 PM.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by UM84 View Post
    She has Olympic experience, none of the other girls do.
    Well I/B did too, and they weren't chosen over E/L for the pairs Olympic team. I realize that's a whole different scenario. I/B do not have the "star quality" that Sasha does. So that point may be moot.

Also the 2006 Olympics is not part of the so-called selection criteria. Seems nationals is 90 percent of the criteria, so if Cohen gets in the top 2, but fine, she's in.

But if she gets 3rd or 4th, I would hope she would graciously bow out and let the other girls have their experience, just like she did when she was 17. Wagner is 18, Flatt will turn 18 in July. Nagasu will turn 17 in April. Yes they have a shot in 2014, but I think it would nice for these women to have the Olympic experience early. Also, as we learned with Hughes and Meissner, a lot can happen in four years.

Custom Title
    I think if Sasha ends up in the top 3, she will go to the Olympics. If it is Flatt, Nagasu, Cohen, or Nagusu, Flatt, Cohen, they will send the winner and Sasha.
    But if the top three consist of some combination of Flatt, Nagasu and Wagner, and Sasha is 4th, I think they will send the top two.

Shoe Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee4707 View Post
    KW were you able to see the video of Sasha's SP????
    I did... I was just telling my co-worker how great she was to which vikki replied: "she who must be named? getting praise from YOU?"

She was great and being obsessed with skaters from the boot down, I must also admit that I was more impressed with Sasha's edges than anything else... If y'all are sending out crow for the doubters, I believe I deserve at least a wing... because I never doubted she'd be in the top two - but I did doubt it would have less to do with her outstanding performance and more to do with the lack of quality skating I've witnessed from the other US ladies this season. No gifts for Sasha, just sheer talent. Loved it!!

Good Job Sasha!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    But if she gets 3rd or 4th, I would hope she would graciously bow out
    If she gets 3rd or 4th, she would also have to get an exception to the Nationals standings to even have the opportunity to bow out. Most likely she would simply not be offered a place on the team to begin with.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Well I/B did too, and they weren't chosen over E/L for the pairs Olympic team. I realize that's a whole different scenario. I/B do not have the "star quality" that Sasha does. So that point may be moot.

Also the 2006 Olympics is not part of the so-called selection criteria. Seems nationals is 90 percent of the criteria, so if Cohen gets in the top 2, but fine, she's in.

But if she gets 3rd or 4th, I would hope she would graciously bow out and let the other girls have their experience, just like she did when she was 17. Wagner is 18, Flatt will turn 18 in July. Nagasu will turn 17 in April. Yes they have a shot in 2014, but I think it would nice for these women to have the Olympic experience early. Also, as we learned with Hughes and Meissner, a lot can happen in four years.
    Popularity wise, ladies skating is far above pairs. We have no stars in pairs, and we would have lost that category long before we've even shown up. But the ladies gold is reachable with the right skater. And the ones we have now (aside from Sasha) have shown they can't hang with the ladies of the world when it counts (this is why we only have 2 spots)

Tripping on the Podium
    If the placement is:

1. Flatt
    2. Cohen/Nagasu
    3. Cohen/Nagasu

It will be Flatt and Cohen

1. Nagasu
    2. Cohen
    3. Flatt

It will be Nagasu and Cohen

1. Nagasu
    2. Flatt
    3. Cohen

It will be Nagasu and Flatt.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    If she gets 3rd or 4th, she would also have to get an exception to the Nationals standings to even have the opportunity to bow out. Most likely she would simply not be offered a place on the team to begin with.
    I probably should clarify to say if she gets 3rd or 4th AND gets offered a spot on the team, then I think it would be nice if she bows out gracefully and let's the ones who finished above her get the spot.

If USFSA does name Sasha to the team in any way beside her having a top 2 finish, I think it would be such a shame. Yes, the program needs a star, but most likely that would only be through this year. Yes getting medals and high placements are important, but so is building your program for the long-term and you do that by having your skaters (if they earned it, of course) go to high-level international competitions. I know that Flatt/Wagner/Nagasu have all done the GP, but I don't think that's really the same thing as a Worlds or an Olympics when everyone is all in the same place.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    I think if Sasha ends up in the top 3, she will go to the Olympics. If it is Flatt, Nagasu, Cohen, or Nagusu, Flatt, Cohen, they will send the winner and Sasha.
    But if the top three consist of some combination of Flatt, Nagasu and Wagner, and Sasha is 4th, I think they will send the top two.
    I wouldn't be so sure of that, look at pairs. If 1 and 2 is a combination of Flatt, Nagasu, Wagner, or Czisny (should she miraculously end up that high), I think the top 2 will go to the Olympics. If say the FS is a splatfest and Christina managed to finish 2nd, then Sasha would probably go if she was 3rd. I don't think USFSA would begrudge Rachael, Mirai, or Ashley a spot on the Olympic team to send Sasha for a 3rd time.

The other thing, at this point I think Mirai has as good a shot at making the Olympic team as Ashley, and probably better. Mirai has "faltered" in the FS before, but for Mirai, faltering means URs, not falling on her butt two or three times. Her jump technique looked amazing last night, so if her jumps look like that tomorrow, she should be fine. I mean, her FS at SC was not amazing but pretty darn good. Also, she has an 8 point lead over Ashley. 8 points is a lot, I know Ashley can be good in the FS, but the thing is I don't think a clean Ashley will be 8 whole points above a clean Mirai.

Custom Title
    In terms of who's freeksate is the strongest, I would have to go with Christina and Rachael, in that order. In terms of consistency and being able to land combos they are actually pretty similar. Both know how to skate TWO solid programs.

Mirai and Ashley I see as being able to land all their planned jumps, but not all with good quality. But Mirai's Carmen is so charming, if she can pull off the jumps and really become Carmen I can't see anyone beating her. Can we fly Akiko's coach over here to give her a pep talk before the long? I've always had a sneaking suspicion Frank Carroll is not the greatest at giving free skate pep talks.

Custom Title
    You have to remember they don't care about feelings, they only care about winning. If they think sending a 4th-5th place Sasha to the Olympics gives them the best chance of winning a medal.... they will do it.

Quote Originally Posted by crazydreamer View Post
    If the placement is:

1. Flatt
    2. Cohen/Nagasu
    3. Cohen/Nagasu

It will be Flatt and Cohen

1. Nagasu
    2. Cohen
    3. Flatt

It will be Nagasu and Cohen

1. Nagasu
    2. Flatt
    3. Cohen

It will be Nagasu and Flatt.
    What about Wagner...if you add her in how does it change?

First and second place will go to the Olympics, whoever it is. Nothing else counts.

Page 67 of 74 FirstFirst ... 17 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 LastLast