Page 70 of 74 FirstFirst ... 20 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 1110

Thread: Championship Ladies SP

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by soogar View Post

As for icons- I think Sasha is every bit as iconic as Michelle Kwan.
    I don't. Just MHO!

Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    The rule, as I understand it, is that only the top finisher is guaranteed a spot.
    That was the way the official rules were stated up through the 2006 Olympics. For 2010 they explicitly changed the rule to take out this provision for the Olympics. (It is still the rule for Worlds, however.)

The reason for the change is that they discovered a USOC rule that could be interpreted as saying that the USOC could take over ownership of US Nationals if they kept that provision in.

So now the official document says, no one is guarateed a spot on the team, not even the national champion.

All of these "rules" are put forward by the USFSA with a wink and a nod. In the real world, #1 and #2 go.

Go marry the quad if you love it so much DesertRoad's Avatar
    I call BS on Flatt getting a higher PCS than Nagasu for their respective performances in the SP. Sure, both ladies were energetic and charming, but Nagasu had much greater speed and confident command of the ice, not to mention she had much better posture than Flatt and her sloppy positions. Instead, Flatt walks away with the second highest PCS of the evening. I know Nagasu is in first, but it's the principle of the thing. Bad scoring is bad scoring and should be called out.

Mirai got higher PCSs than Rachael in Skating Skills and Performance/execution.

Rachael came out a little ahead on Transitions and Interpretaion (maybe they liked what she did with the swing music).

They were tied on Choreography.

I would have given Mirai a bigger edge on SS.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRoad View Post
    I call BS on Flatt getting a higher PCS than Nagasu for their respective performances in the SP. Sure, both ladies were energetic and charming, but Nagasu had much greater speed and confident command of the ice, not to mention she had much better posture than Flatt and her sloppy positions. Instead, Flatt walks away with the second highest PCS of the evening. I know Nagasu is in first, but it's the principle of the thing. Bad scoring is bad scoring and should be called out.
    ITA and several posters have made the same observation.

Mirai should have a much bigger lead and IMO if anyone was held up by the judges last night it was Rachael and Ashley.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post

Mirai should have a much bigger lead and IMO if anyone was held up by the judges last night it was Rachael and Ashley.
    I think Rachel deserved a big score for that performance. Granted, I wasn't expecting 69 (she was the first contender to skate)- I thought, maybe 64/65. So, by giving Rachel 69, the judges backed themselves into a corner to give Cohen and Nagasu more than that

As for Wagner, she's DEFINITELY gotten a score boost just to keep her in contention. But in all honesty, based on the way they scored the other three I DON'T think it's outrageous. The score difference is about the same. They all attacked the SP, Wagner fell and lost points, but otherwise was pretty good. Czisny and Zhang, OTOH, let their mistakes derail the performance. That's why Wagner still has a shot and they don't. Simple.

Go marry the quad if you love it so much DesertRoad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    By giving Rachel 69, the judges backed themselves into a corner to give Cohen and Nagasu more than that
    But they didn't. In fact, they gave Nagasu a lower PCS than the one for Flatt.

How was Rachael held up? She did a triple-triple and had a very charming and solid skate. In the PCS, Rachael won two categories (Tranistions and Interpretation), Mirai won two categories (P/E and Skaitng Skills) and they tied for Choreography. It seems pretty fair to me.

Rinkside
    I was very proud of Mirai last night! It seems she has grown up a lot. I have always enjoyed her skating, but it was always a bit too cutsy for my taste. But now, with some maturity mixed in, she is really delightful. I really enjoyed her SP.

I think that Sasha skated well, especially for being out of the competitive scene for almost four years. However, I really do think that she should have been dinged for her 3flutz. Mirai received an ! for her 3Lz and I think that Sasha should have at least received that also. Even Scott said that the judges seemed to ignore the fact that she took off on an inside edge. It was clear when they showed the combo in slow-mo. I don't think the international judges will be as kind.

Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post
    No, Mirai flutzes badly as well. It just doesn't make sense to give it to one and not the other. Sasha's is painfully obvious and the tech panel obviously chose to ignore it. The lutz also looked to be under-rotated as others have said.
    It might be "painful" to you but not me. I love Sasha's stylish skating. Mirai too.

It might be "painful" to you but not me. I love Sasha's stylish skating. Mirai too.
    That's great that you love their stylish skating. However, Sasha still flutzes and an international panel won't ignore it like the panel did here. It doesn't make any sense that Mirai was penalized and Sasha was not.
    Last edited by i love to skate; 01-22-2010 at 08:23 PM. Reason: spelling error

Custom Title
    No she should not.

Carolina Kostner has almost the same program and she got 65.X. Carolina Kostner's SS, Execution, Transitions look better than Mirai.

In an international event, Rachael would be in the 63-64 range with that skate.
    Mirai would not get higher than 63.
    Sasha would be in the high 50.

Ashley, Sasha were held up.
    Mirai and Rachael deserve top 2. Just that they inflated both scores. One isn't better than the other to deserve "much better" lead.

Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    Just watched Sasha and Mirai's SP on you tube. Sasha was amazing Her footwork, spiral sequence, and her spins 3F looked great! I couldn't tell if she flutzed though. Great performance!! Mirai was wonderful! Very deserving of the lead, she seemed so confident! It suits her. ThEse ladies got my vote for the Olympic team! Rachel has great talent but those spin positions....

Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post
    That's great that you love their stylish skating. However, Sasha still flutzes and an international panel won't ignore it like the panel did here. It doesn't make any sense that Mirai was penalized and Sasha was not.
    It depends on how we look at it and what we enjoy about skating.
    I respect your knowledge and your opinions but seeing Sasha last night was great for me and many other fans. I won't spend a minute worrying or criticizing her skating. It made me happy and I enjoyed it more than seeing just about any other skater.

That is what it meant to me and not a problem if others see it differently. But my mind won;t change and I was thrilled and proud of Sasha last night.

Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    Carolina Kostner has almost the same program and she got 65.X. Carolina Kostner's SS, Execution, Transitions look better than Mirai.

Carolina Kostner is not in Spokane, she is in Italy.
    We can worry about her later
    I say we live in the now
    I say Mirai rocked the house

Page 70 of 74 FirstFirst ... 20 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 LastLast