Championship Ladies SP | Page 46 | Golden Skate

Championship Ladies SP

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Its not like we arrange the skaters after the fact. She was the 3rd best but her score does NOT reflect the difference in performance. A 1 point difference suggests she was on about the same level as Sasha and Mirai and she simply wasn't. She was slow, her jumps had that weird swing at the end....but hey she landed a 3-3, albeit precariously, but lets give her a cookie anyway.

I think we get the point that you didn't like Rachael's performance considering you posted your disdain for it in several different posts! There are people, including the judges, that did.
Likewise there's are folks on here that really didn't like Sasha's performance either. I think everyone just have their opinions.

Looks like if we had an election for best skater of the night it would go to Mirai...I haven't seen any anti-Mirai posts anywhere.

I'm ready to see the LP!

Last edited:

Moxie

On the Ice
Rachael was grossly overscored. She barely hung onto the jumps and gets a 69 with higher PCS than Mirai?! BASED ON WHAT?? Surely not speed or jumps...her 3-3 wasn't even as good as Gao's. Mirai skated clean, great landings etc etc...luckily the rest of the scoring, Flatt aside, was more or less on target. Please, do not hold up that girl scout.

Well, this is Nationals. Everyone is overscored. I feel like Mirai and Sasha were underscored on their PCS.

Its not like we arrange the skaters after the fact. She was the 3rd best but her score does NOT reflect the difference in performance. A 1 point difference suggests she was on about the same level as Sasha and Mirai and she simply wasn't. She was slow, her jumps had that weird swing at the end....but hey she landed a 3-3, albeit precariously, but lets give her a cookie anyway.

Sadly, I agree. And she's all but won the competition because she has the strongest LP. I hope Mirai and Sasha hang on though! :)

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Rachael even admitted she barely hung onto the first two passes. Complete BS.

Complete BS. When did she admit that? My eyes were glued to the screen the whole time when Andrea interviewed her. Stop spewing lies. Good grief.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Well, this is Nationals. Everyone is overscored. I feel like Mirai and Sasha were underscored on their PCS.

Sasha definitely was underscored on the PCS, especially TT, interpretation, execution. I thought that program PCS should be at least 31.
Mirai, not so much.

Top 4 are
Mirai 70
Sasha 69.6
Rachael 69.3
Ashley 62.x

The rest are also-rans

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Sasha definitely was underscored on the PCS, especially TT, interpretation, execution. I thought that program PCS should be at least 31.
Mirai, not so much.

Top 4 are
Mirai 70
Sasha 69.6
Rachael 69.3
Ashley 62.x

The rest are also-rans

Thanks! Oh wow. Mirai's first? Good for her! Sasha and Rachel are trailing by less than a point though. This is going to be interesting to watch!

aftertherain

Record Breaker
From: http://www.examiner.com/x-20118-Figure-Skating-Examiner~y2010m1d22-Nagasu-Cohen-and-Flatt-atop-the-standings-after-the-short-at-US-Nationals

Results:
LADIES (after the short program)
1. Mirai Nagasu – 70.06
2. Sasha Cohen – 69.63
3. Rachael Flatt – 69.35
4. Ashley Wagner – 62.55
5. Christina Gao – 56.26
6. Amanda Dobbs – 56.11
7. Alissa Czisny – 54.18
8. Emily Hughes – 53.75
9. Alexe Gilles – 53.54
10. Beatrisa Liang – 51.98
11. Caroline Zhang – 49.94
12. Kristiene Gong – 48.11
13. Chelsea Morrow – 46.35
14. Melissa Bulanhagui – 45.60
15. Becky Bereswill – 44.60
16. Samantha Cesario – 44.33
17. Blake Rosenthal – 43.43
18. Laney Diggs – 42.87
19. Tatyana Khazova – 41.63
20. Kayla Howey – 35.59
21. Ellie Kawamura – 33.51
22. Rebecca Stern – 32.49
23. Christina-Maria Sperduto – 31.62

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
I have to say Rock on Sasha for bringing it!!:rock::clap: I held my breath the entire time. My boyfriend thinks Sasha's tech score was too high but her PCS was too low so it evened out.

I am over the moon about Mirai being in 1st:love::rock:

My heart broke for Alissa :frown: I was sooo hoping she was going to have a clean program. Unfortunately there is no way she is going to be able to make up the deficit.

I got teared up when that hag Andrea Joyce kept digging in at Alissa. When Alissa's face got flushed and tears appeared in her eyes, while she was trying to be polite and smile for the camera, I just wanted to shove something in Andrea's mouth. My boyfriend laughed as I was yelling at her to leave Alissa alone.:laugh:

I also got annoyed that Andrea brought up last years bad showing to Mirai as she was interviewing her. Grrr

I was also sad for Caroline, poor thing was upset as she left the ice. At least she was able to pull it together for the K&C. I think I had the same shocked face when she fell on the loop. I hope her hand it ok..along with her back. I was glad to hear her say, "theres always next year":yes: dont give up:agree:

Although Emily doubled a jump, other than that she looked good. Much better than she looked at SA.

I was hoping Bebe wasnt going to rush the flip, especially since the combo looked good. Crud.

Im sooo wanting to end the competition now and send the top 2 to the Olympics...is that wrong;) hey, cant blame me for trying:biggrin:

I hope everyone can keep it together in the LP. I also hope Caroline, Alissa, Bebe & Emily can pull up in the standings. I have a feeling the LP is going to be a nail biter

Goooo Mirai!!!:love::clap: Goooo Sasha!!!:love::clap:

Last edited:

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I got teared up when that hag Andrea Joyce kept digging in at Alissa. When Alissa's face got flushed and tears appeared in her eyes, while she was trying to be polite and smile for the camera, I just wanted to shove something in Andrea's mouth. My boyfriend laughed as I was yelling at her to leave Alissa alone.:laugh:

I also got annoyed that Andrea brought up last years bad showing to Mirai as she was interviewing her. Grrr

Didn't she do that to Alicia Sacramone at the Olympics last year as well? Ugh. Woman doesn't know when to stop.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does anyone else think Mirai should have a bigger point lead over Sasha? Not a knock against Sasha . . . she did very well, but I think Mirai was better than her by more than 0.43 of a point. I would have marked Nagasu at least 4 points higher than Cohen. Sasha's jumps were so tight, particularly the 3Lutz and the 2Axel. Even Scott called her Lutz as short of rotation during the broadcast while Mirai's jumps were clearly fully rotated. Mirai's jumps were bigger and had better run-out on the landings. Plus, Mirai skated with more speed than Sasha and Nagasu certainly held her own on the spins and spirals too, which I think are just as good if not better than Sasha's. Anyway, Nagasu, Cohen, and Flatt should all be pleased with their SP efforts. I'm looking forward to the LP, which will be the real test for all of them. Can Nagasu and Cohen battle their longtime LP demons? Can Wagner rise from a bit of a disappointing SP again like last year? Can Flatt win her first senior US title? We'll soon find out.................

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
So now that everything is said and done, thoughts? I think the placement is fair, scoring fair enough.

Rachael: got the night started off right. Great shot at Olympic spot.

Mirai: absolutely beautiful. If she can keep it together in the LP like I know she can, she should definitely medal and most likely make the US team! (I think a repeat of her SC LP would be adequate, especially if she smiles!)

Sasha: shocked me. Beautfiul! Has to keep it together in the LP though to make the Oly team, I can only imagine Flatt, Nagasu, and Wagner will be pushing VERY hard tomorrow.

Ashley: Fall scared me, other than than beautiful. 7 points behind going into the LP, she's definitely still in this but will need to be spot-on in the FS to make the Olympic team (barring some strange occurances).

Caroline and Alissa: Not their night, too bad. 15-20 points out of the leave, lots of ground to make up in the FS, Olympic chances don't look good but still feasible. Ashley is not too far ahead of Alissa, 8 points, so we shall she.

Oh and I love Christina and glad they didn't give her junior PCS. I can't wait to see her rock the long! She could potentially be 4th and make the podium! wooo:agree:

sound about right?

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to Miria, Sasha, Racheal and Ashley. You ladies rocked it and were the class of the field.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Won't be the first time they have done that tonight. These judges don't surprise me anymore.

I think it's Debbie Downer's bedtime now.

:rofl::rofl::rock:

I love how Sasha is provoking all kinds of fighting in forums all over the internet!

I intend to thoroughly enjoy Saturday's LP. The SP was the absolute worse for me with so many of my favorites-but especially with Cohen after a near-4 year break. She got gifted imo on the combo but others received their gifts as well. For example I don't think Rachael's qualities (apart from her great jumps) overall are at the same level as Sasha, or Mirai. Ashley was helped a little too-fourth with a fall. Just the same imo the in the placements are correct.

The top 4 are going to have to skate for it Saturday-and I'm betting no more gifts this time.

A special shoutout to Ms. Cohen. Welcome back girlfriend. Not too shabby for an 'old' lady. I should look so good! :bow:

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone who watched and transcribed what happened. I can't get any kind of broadcast or feed.

Wow! Sasha in second place! Go go go! I just watched her program on YouTube and loved it. Hope she does equally well in her long. I can't wait to watch Mirai; sounds as if she rocked.

But what a sad outcome for Caroline. Somehow I'm not as disappointed for Alyssa, because she's had her National championship and will leave skating (if she leaves now) with that gold, several GP golds, and a lot of fans. But Caroline has really been hammered by adversity almost before her international career got started. This is really distressing. I hope she can refurbish her skills (and recover from her injuries) next year, and of course there's still the long program for her to do well just for her own satisfaction, whether she gets a medal or not.

Hurdler4eva

Rinkside
The only real highlight for me was when Rachael Flatt set the bar so high at the very beginning ~ only woman to do a 3/3 combo. ~ and she did have spark! Reminiscent of a 1940's Flapper Girl; it's just her poor spins & spirals lose points all the time & rightfully so. Still, if she skates like she did at SA, she'll easily be on the team. She's the only one out of the Top 4 with the mental toughness of Michelle Kwan & whom doesn't usually UR her jumps.

The other spot, meh, I have a bad feeling for Sasha, unfortunately. It will most likely go to Mirai Nagasu (Ashley's way too far behind).

That's how I call it. Goodnight everyone! :)

ps: I do have a temper & it showed earlier this evening, but as I've said numerous times before in real life I have the option to ignore, not here. Thus, my temper got the better of me, no PC excuse. And I still stand by ALL my comments.:cool:

Not true! Don't forget Christina Gao with her 3t/3t

jsteam4501s

On the Ice
Well, I'm still the old sourpuss codger here, and it's still the same old sameold for me. I didn't want Michelle Kwan at 2006 Nationals and I don't like the fact that Sasha Cohen may - I say may - deny one of the youngsters like maybe Rachael Flatt a deserved chance for the "Olympic experience". Again, I am talking about those who have not temporarily left amateur skating, so I am including even Alissa Csizny as a "youngster" here.

I'm going to be extremely angry if a deserving long program by either Flatt or Wagner is overruled by Sasha Cohen. Arrrrrggggggh!

A curse on you, Sasha - Fall, fall, fall! It's not personal - Sasha is one of my all-time top 10 favorite skaters - but she---- has----had----her---- chance. Please don't deprive one of these youngsters of their fair chance!