Championship Ladies SP | Page 47 | Golden Skate

Championship Ladies SP

cassieandcheetah

On the Ice
Oh Mirai!!! I knew it!!! One of the few things I agree with Phillip Hersh on is that Mirai alone has that special star quality out of all the singles ladies, and I couldn't be more happy for her! I hope she holds it together in her FS!!!!

Tesla

Final Flight
A curse on you, Sasha - Fall, fall, fall! It's not personal - Sasha is one of my all-time top 10 favorite skaters - but she---- has----had----her---- chance. Please don't deprive one of these youngsters of their fair chance!

Then those youngsters had better step up to the plate and deliver on their programs. If those youngsters win because they were least mediocre, than what does it matter? If they can't beat a no-fall Sasha, then it's their own damn fault. I'm not going to wish someone to bomb just so another can go because that other can't beat a clean Sasha.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Somehow I'm not as disappointed for Alyssa, because she's had her National championship and will leave skating (if she leaves now) with that gold, several GP golds, and a lot of fans.

Alissa has only won 1 GP event in her career, the Skate Canada back in 2005. I really feel for her, but that's the way sports go sometimes. :frown:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wagner's other two jumps were of better quality than Rachael's. True, everyone was overscored as is how Nationals goes but comparatively Rachael's performance was no where NEAR Nagasu or Cohens. Rachael even admitted she barely hung onto the first two passes. Complete BS.

It's a competition, not a beauty contest. Rachael is an excellent competitor, whose tech was the best of the night, IMO. She was penalized for her layback, which is a quirk of COP. If she had fixed that problem, she would be in first. She showed a lot of personality on the ice. In fact, I think she deserves to be second above Sasha, since Sasha flutzed and had a wonky landing on her combo. And when did she say she barely hung on in her first two passes?

jsteam4501s

On the Ice
(Sigh) OMG - My point is that a clean Sasha, or an unclean Sasha, or a dirty Sasha:laugh: shouldn't be here to begin with! Has she forgotten when she was 14,15,16,17?

janetfan

Match Penalty
(Sigh) OMG - My point is that a clean Sasha, or an unclean Sasha, or a dirty Sasha:laugh: shouldn't be here to begin with! Has she forgotten when she was 14,15,16,17?

Please, if the others are afraid to compete they should stay home.
What silly, non-sporting views

Dark-Eyes

Rinkside
It's a competition, not a beauty contest. Rachael is an excellent competitor, whose tech was the best of the night, IMO. She was penalized for her layback, which is a quirk of COP. If she had fixed that problem, she would be in first. She showed a lot of personality on the ice. In fact, I think she deserves to be second above Sasha, since Sasha flutzed and had a wonky landing on her combo. And when did she say she barely hung on in her first two passes?

Rachel had slow spins, terrible positioning, sub-par spiral sequence. She landed some good jumps but that is the only thing to sing about in her program.

(Sigh) OMG - My point is that a clean Sasha, or an unclean Sasha, or a dirty Sasha shouldn't be here to begin with! Has she forgotten when she was 14,15,16,17?

Sorry, but if those girls can't compete against an old lady like Sasha who's been training for only a couple of months, they have NO BUSINESS being at the Olympics with the best. They've had 4 years to hone their skills. Its time to bring it or shut up.

UM84

On the Ice
I can not believe how rude some of you are. Every person has their fair chance, you win and your in. The young ladies have as much of a chance as Sasha to get in. But all the negativity directed at someone who has never done a thing to any of you is disgusting! And what have any of these young ladies done in the past few years to prove they are more worthy of an Olympic berth then Sasha? I

UM84

On the Ice
Sorry, but if those girls can't compete against an old lady like Sasha who's been training for only a couple of months, they have NO BUSINESS being at the Olympics with the best. They've had 4 years to hone their skills. Its time to bring it or shut up.

This is what scare me about the currnet state of U.S figure skating

herro

On the Ice
In situations like this, you really have to try to leave out your personal views. Figure skating, after all, is a sport. A sport judged by numbers. There was nothing holding Sasha back from coming back, and if the younger skaters felt threatened, they should have prepared more. It's anybody's game and there's nothing unfair, in my opinion, about Sasha competing. As she's shown (very early) this morning, she can skate at the level of the top younger skaters. To me, may the best go to the Olympics and Worlds, young or old.

millie

Medalist
Just imagine if Sasha had trained like the rest of the skaters this past 4 years. I think that with figure skating, if you got it, you got it and if you haven't, you haven't. I think some of these girls can train til the cows come home and they will never have the quality of skating that Sasha has. :)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
thanks to whoever posted teh link to Sasha's SP! I can't wait to see the other ladies' programs

that was a great comeback for her and I'm happy. If she doesn't make top two when all is said and done at least she didn't just create a bunch of hype. She came to the ice and she skated.

Very happy for Mirai! after last year she needed a great skate, and to beat Sasha Cohen in her best part of a competition! :rock: Icing on the cake.

bummed for Ashley, but hoping she can pull up in the long!

UM84

On the Ice
thanks to whoever posted teh link to Sasha's SP! I can't wait to see the other ladies' programs

that was a great comeback for her and I'm happy. If she doesn't make top two when all is said and done at least she didn't just create a bunch of hype. She came to the ice and she skated.

Very happy for Mirai! after last year she needed a great skate, and to beat Sasha Cohen in her best part of a competition! :rock: Icing on the cake.

bummed for Ashley, but hoping she can pull up in the long!

Marai's is up on youtube as well, and after watching it she deserved to be slightly in first
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SDtAQbCP-o

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
uhhhhhhhhhhhhh what has that got to do with the cost of chicken today????

MichelleMyBelle

Spectator
I don't understand when people say that someone like Sasha Cohen shouldn't come back because, "she had her chance" - this is a sport. If a veteran competitor is able to compete against the younger ones, that is the younger competitor's fault for not being better. I don't think anyone would tell a golfer to retire because they were too old, if they were still able to win or compete well against the younger golfers. The fact that Plushenko and the Chinese pair were able to come back after such a long haitus and are now beating their competition, makes it clear that the level of competition has not improved in skating. Sasha did make a mistake on her jump combo, that seemed to have been ignored, but the quality of the rest of her program was so fantastic that I agree with the overall placement that she received. I don't agree with ignoring mistakes, however.

I was really impressed with Marai - she has really matured into a beautiful skater with speed and tenacity. I look forward to the Long Program!

Bennett

Record Breaker
Does anyone else think Mirai should have a bigger point lead over Sasha? Not a knock against Sasha . . . she did very well, but I think Mirai was better than her by more than 0.43 of a point. I would have marked Nagasu at least 4 points higher than Cohen. Sasha's jumps were so tight, particularly the 3Lutz and the 2Axel. Even Scott called her Lutz as short of rotation during the broadcast while Mirai's jumps were clearly fully rotated. Mirai's jumps were bigger and had better run-out on the landings. Plus, Mirai skated with more speed than Sasha and Nagasu certainly held her own on the spins and spirals too, which I think are just as good if not better than Sasha's. Anyway, Nagasu, Cohen, and Flatt should all be pleased with their SP efforts. I'm looking forward to the LP, which will be the real test for all of them. Can Nagasu and Cohen battle their longtime LP demons? Can Wagner rise from a bit of a disappointing SP again like last year? Can Flatt win her first senior US title? We'll soon find out.................

I agree. I think that Sasha was better in presentation. I think that she got very good music, great presentation, and great costume. It was a great package. I am also surprised how fast she was. I also liked her spirals very much.

But I think that she should have received "e" or at least an attention mark on her flutz. This is surprising considering that her flutz was well-recognized and judges tend to be strict on those who have such a reputation. Her landing on 2T was also shaky and could have been DGed.

Mirai deservingly received better GOE on her 2A with a difficult entrance. Her flutz got an attention mark, but her flutz at this time was no more than Sasha's.

Mirai's spirals are also among the very best in the field even though Sasha's had a more wow factor (the split jump and the forward charlotte) that earned huge GOE.

I also thought that Mirai's spins were a lot more complete than Sasha's. Her rotations were so fast that she could hold the positions so long! That gives the program a very complete impression!

So technically speaking, I would say Mirai should have gotten a lot better mark than Sasha. But I am fine that Sasha got a little better PCS than Mirai.

Both did very well.

Last edited:

kandidy

Final Flight
Kandidy, you're the best in the whole wide world .... thanks for posting the vid. Sasha is just beautiful, her costume, her music, wow!!!

;)U r welcome. I know the feeling not be able to watch it live since I am also.