Championship Ladies SP | Page 50 | Golden Skate

Championship Ladies SP

fairly4

Medalist
sasha rachel alsissa, ashley score overmarked how=-
no deductions on sasha takeoff and landing on triple flip0--look ur' but definitely changed edge on landing--combo--landing was screwy shoujld have had deductions not pluses in goes
rachel combo-should have had deductions landed change edge-no deductions but should have had decutions not plus
alissa should have got ur on her fall not just -3
ashley should have got a deduction and ur on her lutz fall not just a -3
zhang only skater got ur on jump which was deservied
zhang to me unfor6tunalely might have hard time-why too many up-comer junior and novice skaters

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think once the SPs air on NBC there'll be plenty of YT videos and others circulating. Right now what's up is just crappy quality captures of feeds, definitely better than nothing for those who have no other way to watch though.

I think the reason they had to give Cohen the 69 was to put her above Flatt. If Flatt got, say a 64 and Nagasu a 69, I think Cohen would have been closer to 66. Seems like they want to keep it close, though- it keeps the FS a nail-biter and people a reason to watch NBC's prime time coverage for "the thrilling conclusion".

It seemed fine at the moment but in retrospect, yes, she definitely benefited from lenient callers. But were they consistent with everyone else? Seems like they were. So no reason for me to be up in arms. If Cohen was getting special treatment while everyone else was getting hammered, THEN I'd raise an issue.

Last edited:

i love to skate

Medalist
It seemed fine at the moment but in retrospect, yes, she definitely benefited from lenient callers. But were they consistent with everyone else? Seems like they were. So no reason for me to be up in arms. If Cohen was getting special treatment while everyone else was getting hammered, THEN I'd raise an issue.

Mirai got an edge call on her flutz...

Layfan

Record Breaker
I think once the SPs air on NBC there'll be plenty of YT videos and others circulating. Right now what's up is just crappy quality captures of feeds, definitely better than nothing for those who have no other way to watch though.

I think the reason they had to give Cohen the 69 was to put her above Flatt. If Flatt got, say a 64 and Nagasu a 69, I think Cohen would have been closer to 66. Seems like they want to keep it close, though- it keeps the FS a nail-biter and people a reason to watch NBC's prime time coverage for "the thrilling conclusion".

Which only goes to show how nonsensically inflated all the scores were. They gave Rachel a 69 and then when Mirai hit it out of the park they had no choice but to give her a 70

i love to skate

Medalist
That's ridiculous. Nagasu is the one here that has a real lutz, not Cohen.

No, Mirai flutzes badly as well. It just doesn't make sense to give it to one and not the other. Sasha's is painfully obvious and the tech panel obviously chose to ignore it. The lutz also looked to be under-rotated as others have said.

gkelly

Record Breaker
They gave Rachel a 69 and then when Mirai hit it out of the park they had no choice but to give her a 70

But the judges and tech panel can't possibly keep track of what the individual scores are going to add up to.

It would be more accurate to say that they gave Rachael full credit for her triple-triple, great GOEs for her step sequence, and pretty good PCS (all of which added up to 69+), and then when Mirai hit it out of the park they had no choice but to give her even better GOEs and PCS (adding up to 70+).

I wouldn't be surprised if many of the judges just gave their individual marks and had no idea how much difference Flatt's 3-3 combo was going make in the overall results.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No, Mirai flutzes badly as well. It just doesn't make sense to give it to one and not the other. Sasha's is painfully obvious and the tech panel obviously chose to ignore it. The lutz also looked to be under-rotated as others have said.

Yes, this is Meissner/Flatt 2007 Nationals SP, part deux. To downgrade or not to downgrade the combination jump? To mark the jump as a Lutz or a flutz? The USFSA judges have a bad habit of picking on the younger skater and giving her a penalty for her techical flaw, but giving the more accomplished skater easy padding for her mistake when they really should be consistent in scoring the errors equally among all the skaters. :banging:

Last edited:

UM84

On the Ice
If Sasha does not win, but is in the top 4 and not a total disaster, I can not understand why she would even be in the mix - it would seem the decision would come down to Wagner or Flatt. This of course, assumes they all preform at about the same level etc.

Thoughts?

She has Olympic experience, none of the other girls do.

cornell08

Final Flight
Complete BS. When did she admit that? My eyes were glued to the screen the whole time when Andrea interviewed her. Stop spewing lies. Good grief.

Here ya go, FlattFan & jenaj:

"I was a little anxious after I landed my triple flip; it was probably one of the worst landings I've had on my triple-triple all week. I just trusted my training at that point and pulled in and landed the toe."

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100122&content_id=7953366&vkey=ice_news

"Flatt called her first two jumping passes "shaky" but was pleased by how she could call on her training to get through them."

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/oly...olid-nagasu-spectacular-in-early-skating.html

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
She has Olympic experience, none of the other girls do.

Well I/B did too, and they weren't chosen over E/L for the pairs Olympic team. I realize that's a whole different scenario. I/B do not have the "star quality" that Sasha does. So that point may be moot.

Also the 2006 Olympics is not part of the so-called selection criteria. Seems nationals is 90 percent of the criteria, so if Cohen gets in the top 2, but fine, she's in.

But if she gets 3rd or 4th, I would hope she would graciously bow out and let the other girls have their experience, just like she did when she was 17. Wagner is 18, Flatt will turn 18 in July. Nagasu will turn 17 in April. Yes they have a shot in 2014, but I think it would nice for these women to have the Olympic experience early. Also, as we learned with Hughes and Meissner, a lot can happen in four years.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think if Sasha ends up in the top 3, she will go to the Olympics. If it is Flatt, Nagasu, Cohen, or Nagusu, Flatt, Cohen, they will send the winner and Sasha.
But if the top three consist of some combination of Flatt, Nagasu and Wagner, and Sasha is 4th, I think they will send the top two.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
KW were you able to see the video of Sasha's SP????

I did... I was just telling my co-worker how great she was to which vikki replied: "she who must be named? getting praise from YOU?"

She was great and being obsessed with skaters from the boot down, I must also admit that I was more impressed with Sasha's edges than anything else... If y'all are sending out crow for the doubters, I believe I deserve at least a wing... because I never doubted she'd be in the top two - but I did doubt it would have less to do with her outstanding performance and more to do with the lack of quality skating I've witnessed from the other US ladies this season. No gifts for Sasha, just sheer talent. Loved it!!

Good Job Sasha!:clap::clap:

gkelly

Record Breaker
But if she gets 3rd or 4th, I would hope she would graciously bow out

If she gets 3rd or 4th, she would also have to get an exception to the Nationals standings to even have the opportunity to bow out. Most likely she would simply not be offered a place on the team to begin with.

UM84

On the Ice
Well I/B did too, and they weren't chosen over E/L for the pairs Olympic team. I realize that's a whole different scenario. I/B do not have the "star quality" that Sasha does. So that point may be moot.

Also the 2006 Olympics is not part of the so-called selection criteria. Seems nationals is 90 percent of the criteria, so if Cohen gets in the top 2, but fine, she's in.

But if she gets 3rd or 4th, I would hope she would graciously bow out and let the other girls have their experience, just like she did when she was 17. Wagner is 18, Flatt will turn 18 in July. Nagasu will turn 17 in April. Yes they have a shot in 2014, but I think it would nice for these women to have the Olympic experience early. Also, as we learned with Hughes and Meissner, a lot can happen in four years.

Popularity wise, ladies skating is far above pairs. We have no stars in pairs, and we would have lost that category long before we've even shown up. But the ladies gold is reachable with the right skater. And the ones we have now (aside from Sasha) have shown they can't hang with the ladies of the world when it counts (this is why we only have 2 spots)

crazydreamer

On the Ice
If the placement is:

1. Flatt
2. Cohen/Nagasu
3. Cohen/Nagasu

It will be Flatt and Cohen

1. Nagasu
2. Cohen
3. Flatt

It will be Nagasu and Cohen

1. Nagasu
2. Flatt
3. Cohen

It will be Nagasu and Flatt.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
If she gets 3rd or 4th, she would also have to get an exception to the Nationals standings to even have the opportunity to bow out. Most likely she would simply not be offered a place on the team to begin with.

I probably should clarify to say if she gets 3rd or 4th AND gets offered a spot on the team, then I think it would be nice if she bows out gracefully and let's the ones who finished above her get the spot.

If USFSA does name Sasha to the team in any way beside her having a top 2 finish, I think it would be such a shame. Yes, the program needs a star, but most likely that would only be through this year. Yes getting medals and high placements are important, but so is building your program for the long-term and you do that by having your skaters (if they earned it, of course) go to high-level international competitions. I know that Flatt/Wagner/Nagasu have all done the GP, but I don't think that's really the same thing as a Worlds or an Olympics when everyone is all in the same place.