Original Dance Jan. 21st, 13:00 Tallinn time | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Original Dance Jan. 21st, 13:00 Tallinn time

MissIzzy

Final Flight
The Zaretskis pass Cappellini & Lanotte and have an exactly nine-point buffer with which to stay in the top ten. I think they're going to Vancouver.:agree:

sochi

Spectator
The Stockholm Syndrome

Only 61 for D&S in the OD! I must admit, I'm surprised! Of course that could still win the segment, and five points lead says they're winning this competition anyway, but...those watching, did they make any major errors?

Those of you who are relieved by D/S receiving "only 61" for this horrendous, Novice OD and others who have previously stated that they're hoping the medal D/S are sure to win at the Olympics is just, please (whimper) not gold have to recognize something in yourselves. You are suffering from Stockholm Syndrome. You have been held captive for so long, you've begun to identify with your captors. As long as they don't kill you (that is, receive a world record score), your warped reality perceives it as an act of kindness, a crumb, if you will. Please. Stop whimpering! They don't even deserve to be in the final group in Vancouver. Your spirit has been broken for so long you've failed to realize you're sitting in your cage but your captors left the door open. Stand up and walk out.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome

hauteor

On the Ice
I like DomShab- they gave a very nice interview after their group and when asked about the costumes Oksana said that they were designed in St. Petersburg- they sent the designers the music and this is what they came up with and this is a rare occasion where they felt that the designers nailed it on the first try- they were extremely pleased.

I have an academic degree in design and I agree that their costumes really fit them, the music and the overall performance. This is the case of appreciating something for what it is- obviously you can't compare an evening gown and aboriginal body paint. It's like designing a theatre scene- for the artist creating an impoverished slum, making it harmonious and believable, is just as beautiful as designing Marie Antoinette's boudoir. To me everything concerning the appearance of their OD is totally in sync- it may not be a crowd-pleaser (just like not everyone enjoys a trip to the Guggenheim), but they've obviously made the choice to not be banal- I applaude that as well as their skill :clap: !

kiz_4Ever

On the Ice
I didn't like Dom/Shabs, nor the costumes neither the dance itself...

but I loved F&S: just beautiful!!! :bow::clap:I am so happy for them, their OD it's fantastic!!!
hope they'll gain even more points tomorrow, their free is also beautiful!!!:love::love::love:

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
Once again, I am APPALLED by the overscored and politiked Russian skaters. Dom/Shab were painfully slow and just as painful to watch and Khok/Nov make that mistake yet, they are both sitting pretty at the top of the leader board.

What do they have something against sibling teams, once again the Zaretsky's and ESPECIALLY the Kerrs get screwed by the system. they are sitting in 5th and 6th.

No wonder the sport is failing.

Ice-Lady

Rinkside
What do they have something against sibling teams, once again the Zaretsky's and ESPECIALLY the Kerrs get screwed by the system. they are sitting in 5th and 6th.

No wonder the sport is failing.
Are you joking? You try to compare the skatind abilities of D/S and other 2 pairs. Did you see knees of Zaretzki during twizzles? Maybee the edges of Kerr?

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
Those of you who are relieved by D/S receiving "only 61" for this horrendous, Novice OD and others who have previously stated that they're hoping the medal D/S are sure to win at the Olympics is just, please (whimper) not gold have to recognize something in yourselves. You are suffering from Stockholm Syndrome. You have been held captive for so long, you've begun to identify with your captors. As long as they don't kill you (that is, receive a world record score), your warped reality perceives it as an act of kindness, a crumb, if you will. Please. Stop whimpering! They don't even deserve to be in the final group in Vancouver. Your spirit has been broken for so long you've failed to realize you're sitting in your cage but your captors left the door open. Stand up and walk out.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome

FINALLY someone that I can agree with that has not been brainwashed by Russian politking, just because they are Russian they do not automattically get the gold EVERY single time!!!!

hauteor

On the Ice
I find that objectivity is key when offering ones opinion- but an inflated positive opinion is harmless, whereas a negative opinion is useless unless constructive. No point in being venomous- the judges have decades of experience, they've actually been skaters themselves, so it's kind of vainglorious to assume that you are a better expert than they. Plus we are not in Saku Suurhall- television kills speed and artistry- what we see and what the audience and judges witness are two different things.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
For whoever hasn't seen this yet:

Domnina & Shabalin OD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vczTPSwF9do

Thanks for the link. My live feed was freezing during this part of the competition, so I didn't get the full effect the first time around. Thoughts:

This dance just simply isn't that technically difficult, and is definitely constructed to hide Maxim's knee issues. I thought multiple other couples had more technical content yet D/S are #3 in TES. My biggest gripe is their PCS--I wouldn't have given them much in the component scores above 7.00. There's no "meat" to this program, once you get pass the obnoxious music and costume packaging. I come away from this dance from the current "World Champions" feeling...well...scammed.

Big Picture, their lead in the CD of 5 points is maintained after the OD, when in my estimation it should have been whittled to zilch, or even had them out of first place. Ugh, the whole thing smells of a predetermined set-up.

jcoates

Medalist
Taking the CD and OD scores from this event into accountn including the improvements in CD scores from the GP for most teams, I am actually a bit encouraged that the other top OGM contenders (N. American and DelSchoes) will quite possibly be judged fairly in Vancouver compared to DomShabs. There may be some WC bonus for them relative to other teams, but I'm not seeing it so far compared to their chief rivals. Interesting.

katia

On the Ice
thank you for link to D/S.
I liked their CD.
On the other hand looking at their OD I did not like their costumes and I did not like their dance. It was simple technically, the music was awful and the costumes where terrible.
I am appalled by the high scores they got.
I think that many of us really do have Stockholm Syndrome.

ankka

Rinkside
Oh dear, I KNOW everyone will hate me for saying this but pleasee do so if you must. Domnina and Shabalin are not my favourite couple by no means but I do think they weren't overscored. And, I surprised myself as well, I did like their OD. I've heard so many bad things about it but as I watched I really had no idea why it's been hated so widely. Sure, it's not safe or traditional but I think many people have accused them of playing it safe before. That is certainly not the case this year. Also it's clear they've really studied their dance, everything looks appropriate and the music and the skating form a very well rounded package, and I also think they performed it very well. And the twizzles were nicely done (which I think is the first time this year for them). To be honest I found all the following programs a tiny bit boring in comparison.

But I still think Faiella Scali did deserve their first place, they had more speed.

And I still think Domnina and Shabalin won't do well in FD.

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
Just seen highlights on British Eurosport. The guys were very complimentary to Dom/Shabs saying they have taken a risk by doing something different as opposed to coming up with a standard folk dance. They did say it wasn't perfect but they will have improved it come Vancouver. I enjoyed, not near as bad as I was expecting.

The Italians deserved there win, really enjoyable even if I did find her facial expressions a bit OTT. K/N seemed a bit lost with the music, I think the use of Russian vocals doesn't help, still looking forward to Firebird.

The variety of dances was really impressive, aborignal, breton, ukrainian, hungarian, irish, russian, jewish, country & western. My favourite was Carron and Jones and their Irish dance

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Somebody clue me in on the rules: I thought if during the performance, you lost part of your costume on the ice, there was a required -1.00 deduction. Some of D/S "leaves" came off during that performance,yet I didn't see any deduction given.

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
^Did they? I watched their OD, but didn't notice any leaves on the floor. Then again, I was watching a really poor quality video on Youtube, so I could have missed it.

Oh dear, I KNOW everyone will hate me for saying this but pleasee do so if you must. Domnina and Shabalin are not my favourite couple by no means but I do think they weren't overscored. And, I surprised myself as well, I did like their OD. I've heard so many bad things about it but as I watched I really had no idea why it's been hated so widely. Sure, it's not safe or traditional but I think many people have accused them of playing it safe before. That is certainly not the case this year. Also it's clear they've really studied their dance, everything looks appropriate and the music and the skating form a very well rounded package, and I also think they performed it very well. And the twizzles were nicely done (which I think is the first time this year for them). To be honest I found all the following programs a tiny bit boring in comparison.

But I still think Faiella Scali did deserve their first place, they had more speed.

I don't hate you! I have to agree. Compared to the train wreck they performed at Russian Nationals, I was pleasantly surprised to see their twizzles had really good unison! I think in some cases, people's personal dislike of D/S makes them jump on the 'anti D/S OD' bandwagon.

I haven't seen F/S OD yet, but I'm glad they are in first, I really like this team and how they've progressed in the previous seasons. Their Italian dances are so enjoyable to watch!

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
^Did they? I watched their OD, but didn't notice any leaves on the floor. Then again, I was watching a really poor quality video on Youtube, so I could have missed it.

After watching a better quality video in its entirety, I retract my previous statement at #37. I looked at their costume leaves before they started and after they finished, as well as throughout the dance. They didn't lose any parts. The leaves I saw were part of a flower bouquet or something thrown on the ice by a fan at the finish.

herios

Medalist

I don't hate you! I have to agree. Compared to the train wreck they performed at Russian Nationals, I was pleasantly surprised to see their twizzles had really good unison! I think in some cases, people's personal dislike of D/S makes them jump on the 'anti D/S OD' bandwagon.

I haven't seen F/S OD yet, but I'm glad they are in first, I really like this team and how they've progressed in the previous seasons. Their Italian dances are so enjoyable to watch!

Here is Faiella /Scali's OD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6t7M_-I7SI

What I critique about D/S's skate today in their OD, although improved, is still slow and there is a lot of skate hand in hand far apart. That makes it much easier, decreases the difficulty.