Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Senior CD-Golden Waltz- 1:30 PM EST Jan 21

Tripping on the Podium
    expected/expect D&W to have the edge in the OD with the final standing to be decided in the FD but B&A's Golden Waltz is quite good. I guess I should just congratulate D&W on winning their second national championship

a bit prepotent, even if D/W and up wining this thing the comp isn't over yet.

Custom Title
    Congrats to both B/A and D/W. They both skated wonderful programs. We are so blessed to have such incredible US ice dance teams. This battle is not over. I look forward to more beautiful skating. I am thrilled for Meryl and Charlie. They handled the pressure today well.

Also congrats to N/B & S/B. I enjoyed their dances as well.

Rinkside
    I just do not understand what is USFA thinking now? With DW wins, it is high possibility that US end with no medal in Oly! Look at the history, the medalists are nearly all from the previous Worlds podium except AP in 1998 for the recent three Olys! I expect DS(RUS), V/W will certainly on the podium.

Whippet Good!
    Who has seen the CD? Of those who have seen the CD, are the marks/placements appropriate?

Whippet Good!
    Quote Originally Posted by wushuang122 View Post
    I just do not understand what is USFA thinking now? With DW wins, it is high possibility that US end with no medal in Oly! Look at the history, the medalists are nearly all from the previous Worlds podium except AP in 1998 for the recent three Olys! I expect DS(RUS), V/W will certainly on the podium.
    So if D/W skate better than B/A, D/W should be held down because B/A are 2009 World silver medalists? Why have a competition then?

Custom Title
    I am not an expert like Doris, but I found them both wonderful. I would have had D/W ahead but by a closer margin.

Whippet Good!
    Quote Originally Posted by semosk8tfan View Post
    I am not an expert like Doris, but I found them both wonderful. I would have had D/W ahead but by a closer margin.
    Closer than .4?! Wow!

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Warmup Group 3
    11 Grace Cho, IceWorks SC
    Dmitry Ponomarev, IceWorks SC

He is in a bizarre baroque looking ruffled shirt with a gold edged bolero jacket. She's in white
    Second pattern got very slow I thought. Not a top performance

12.0 10.39 total 22.39

12 Emily Samuelson, Ann Arbor FSC
    Evan Bates, Ann Arbor FSC

Emily in high necked neck long sleeve, white lace backless dress. Very classy. And her toe point is impeccable. They looked to need some more speed to me. And he needed to get lower in the shoot the duck step.

19.23 18.13 total 37.36

13 Trina Pratt, Broadmoor SC
    Chris Obzansky, Salt Lake Figure Skating

She's in butter YELLOW. With a yellow floral hair ornament.
    sloppy in the dip

15.98 14.45 total 30.43

14 Meryl Davis, Arctic FSC
    Charlie White, Detroit SC

She's in the purple dress

Man they do the hard parts of this dance so well! Particularly the attitude turns and the dip and lunge business. I also thought their interpretation was spot on-light, fast, and lilting. B&A's was lovely, but did not manage the light character of the Golden - too serious and businesslike, for want of a better world. I thought Tanith still has better leg line than Meryl (I saw 2 slight mismatches in D&W), but this was the best CD I have ever seen either team skate, for sure. I wish there would be videos in better quality available, but all there is is ice network. I do so want to hear what those at the rink have to say!!

22.79 22.63 total 45.42

Into first

Yes, I would have it very close between the two teams. WOW

It may well have hurt B&A to have skated so very early in the event, right after 2 teams that seemed to have problems even doing the steps-scoring them that high must have seemed a bit like piling on.

15 Kimberly Navarro, Santa Rosa FSC
    Brent Bommentre, Philadelphia SC & HS
    Kim wearing a similar red/orange/yellow dress to Madison Hubbell.
    They are so charming-not fast as though as Charlie and Meryl

19.43 18.17 total 37.60
    Into 3rd.

Custom Title
    I wonder whether the skate order hurt B&A. Judges may have been more generous with +++ after judging lower ranking skaters.

Ice Dancing and Johnny Fan MissIzzy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    What makes that so different from Russia?
    The difference is the judges mark the Russians higher. Even when they're skating like a certain pair of Russian champions are skating right now.
    If Meryl and Charlie actually deserved this, good for them. But did they?

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    So if D/W skate better than B/A, D/W should be held down because B/A are 2009 World silver medalists? Why have a competition then?
    If it is ture, I did not mean to dump DW, but I still did not believe it until I watched video since from GFP, BA always awarded with high score in CD portion. So I thought BA are stronger in this portion

Whippet Good!
    Quote Originally Posted by MissIzzy View Post
    The difference is the judges mark the Russians higher. Even when they're skating like a certain pair of Russian champions are skating right now.
    If Meryl and Charlie actually deserved this, good for them. But did they?
    Sounds like both B/A & D/W skated perfectly. Since they are virtually tied, I would say yes.

Custom Title
    If it is ture, I did not mean to dump DW, but I still did not believe it until I watched video since from GFP, BA always awarded with high score in CD portion. So I thought BA are stronger in this portion
    Not always. Two years ago, they almost beat B/A on yankee polka at 2008 nationals. I personally thought D/W were better that night, but I think they got held back becuase they were still the younger, less experienced team at the time. I do think Tanith's longer legs make them look better in general, but speed- and transition-wise I think D/W are superior.

Whippet Good!
    Did you watch the CD? I haven't, so I have to go off of what doris says. Since I trust doris (), I would say D/W have greatly improved their CDs and both B/A & D/W deserved their scores. They are virtually tied. It really is too bad that both can't get the gold.

Custom Title
    I understand that logic. But D&W are not known for the CD, maybe by beating B&A, this sets them up for Olympic Gold. I keep thinking the CD is the only phase that is holding them back. If their "CD image" improves, they become a much stronger threat.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast