Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Thread: Mens Free Skate

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Thanks for posting that!

I just now watched it, and in my honest opinion if Stephane skates clean he will win hands down -- his La Traviata program is simply a masterpiece in the likes of John Curry (especially John's "Don Quixote" FS at the 1976 Olympics seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z79TMsYRnEc). I knew Angel Eyes was dangerous, and he just proved it with this new surprise masterpiece. He's the female equivalent of Sasha Cohen.

That said, I just rewatched it again to make sure about his jumps -- looks like he did 6 triples & 2 quads (one with hands down but fully rotated) -- no triple axels (of course b/c of his injury). Btw, loved the jump & flourish he did after the 3/3 combo.! Hmm, his strategy reminds me of Mao Asada, whom is relying on her 3A to make up for the absence of her 3L; whereas Stephane is relying on his 4T to make up for the absence of his 3A. Smart thinking, smart thinking. I wish both of these competitors much luck, as I would love to see them skate their very best at the Olympics Games! May the best man & woman win.

Final note, Stephane needs to skate clean in the SP (same as ALL the other competitors) in order to have a chance at the podium, and that means he m u s t land the quad in the SP because he will already be at a disadvantage without the 3A in the SP. So if he can hang tough there, and then skate clean in the FS, I see noone else touching him, not even Daisuke, Jeremy, Oda, Evan, nor anyone else, not even my beloved Evgeni.

Does anyone have a youtube of Stephane and another of Michal? I realy would appreciate seeing my faves.

For someone, I have never got with, I did enjoy Plush.

and very happy for Javier who has come along steadily and is now in the top Euros group, and i wouldn't be surprised if he battles it out with Michal next Euros.
    Ole, Javier!!

Custom Title
    P.S. aha, but that's assuming that Zhenya will just give up without a fight. No, Evgeni will fight hard. If Stephane skates clean, Evgeni will go all out trying 3 quads & all sorts of crazy 3/3 & 3/3/2 combos. & sequences (aka 3L/.5R/3F)!

Custom Title
    Oh my goodness, Plushy's scores are right up there with his personal bests from the 2006 Olympics! Talk about a comeback!

I didn't get a chance to watch his LP yet, but were his scores inflated at all? If not, this is a comeback of the ages!

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    it is Plushy, marks are always inflated.
    But I dont care, he is the King.
    uber moment , i know you excuse me today:o

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Haha, I didn't mean anything negative by the inflation comment. I was just asking if he deserved those scores based on his performances four years ago. Or in other words, I guess I'm simply asking if his skating is better, or at least the same as four years ago. I'm a relatively new follower of men's skating.

I didnt expect this score so I think in my mind he was inflated. But he made me so happy and I m so proud so in my heart he is not. Arg I think I m not the appropriate to answer this!
    I dont know if he is better than 2006, I guess not, I think he is different. Or maybe I m different, lol, it was 4 years ago.

Custom Title
    After watching the European Championships, I understood agian that quadless skaters would have more chances to get the medals at the Olympic.

Look at the scores. I really enjoyed lambiel's and Brian's skatings today,but Evan got the higher score at GPF and Patric might get a higher score without quads at the olympic.

Personally, I dont like it. But I really enjoed the Evan's performance at the world championships last year....what a mixed feeling...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Actually, his PCS in the long were second and in the short he was ranked third, despite winning both programs. This to me basically states that the judges will give him a victory, but he'll have to earn it. Ditto the other men - if someone else earns it, they'll get it. That's rather exciting, imo, especially with the depth of the men's as it is.

i know, i m glad he was not first in pcs, i hope he gets the message, cause at the end of Lp i was a little upset cause i ve seen his practices and he has at least some decent transitions in new version and today he did just one of them. Also he forgot an opening one in Sp! I mean, i dont expect to be mr transition but at least Plushy do what you have planned, it is not like he cant move for one second and will ruin his set up for jumps, I dont get it! there was one moment i was expecting to see where he has fast steps and cute choreo and he forgot to do them (or he decided to focus on jumps, i dunno)I was like this for a while, a liitle while of course. But it is hopeless case, I ll give up.

Custom Title
    I have just re-watched the top three's LPs on youtube without the live feed's freeze problems. So this was the first time that I have actually watched their programs.

My thoughts:

I loved Lambiel's program the best. The music suited him and he danced naturally and beautifully (maybe I should say handsomely.) Loved his LP costume! He is just total classic from the look, the hair, the costume, the movements. Such a memorable program! The problem was his jumps. He even fell on serpentine steps. He must be more prepared for the big day next month to secure his podium position. At this moment, I think he is still a wild card.

The second best I liked was Joubert's program. Again I loved the music, intense and grabbing. There are some sparkling movements in it too. But he skated too cautously and made a lot of mistakes on the jumps. I agree that he wanted the gold medal too much and made it a heavy burden in his heart. So the nerve caught him. A little sad for him.

Don't like Plushenko's LP music and choreography that much. But his enthusiasm, his power, and his precise, fast movements vibrated in the air and got me. I suspect that the judges must have gotten the vibration, and were mesmerized too. There is just no way, NO WAY that you don't give the gold to him. He is just that powerful! Truly the King! But he doubled trible lutz which has shown a little that he has vulnerability.

Over all, I think the podium placement was correct. So I don't care the actual numbers in scores. I wish all of them good luck next month at the Olympics!

P.S. Brezina's best performance was at Skate America. This time it was fine. He certainly has a bright future. I don't believe that Verner could ever put himself together again. Don't like Ponsero that much. Haven't seen other skater's programs yet.
    Last edited by jennylovskt; 01-23-2010 at 10:33 AM.

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    Still over the moon for Lambiel. But I do think if it wasn't for the fall, the final serpentine steps could have been so much more impressive. The one he did in one of the vids of his LP run through was simply breathtaking, hitting every beat of the music with wonderful, wonderful nuances and expression. Even if you turned off the music you could tell that he was doing a waltz. Reminded me of Krylova/Ovsiannikov's OD from 1999.
    Ah Lambiel, he's simply the most . gorgeous . male . skater . ever.

Custom Title
    Just watched Lambiel and...

He even makes programs with mistakes look like masterpieces.
    He truly delivers the program. Just.. wow.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    I don't see passion and inventiveness in his program. It's merely nice. Doesn't compare to Flamenco, Four Seasons, Dralion, or Carne Cruda.

Sorry. I'm really disappointed. I hope he skates the very best he can at Olympics, I still love him, but I don't believe that his Short Program or Long Program this year are great (let alone masterpieces, which I've come to expect from Lambiel). I'd still place him over most other skaters if he does his best, but I sadly can't consider him the greatest competitor this year.

Takahashi has the best programs this year and will deserve to win the Olympics if he skates perfect.
    Last edited by Blades of Passion; 01-22-2010 at 03:14 AM.

Custom Title
    Plushenko deservedly won the competition.

Lambiel was the ONE who made the competition worths to watch !!
    That's what I can call quality and figure skating.

Plushenko is a master of winning, Lambiel is a master of figure skating.

Well done both guys !

Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast