Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Thread: Mens Free Skate

Custom Title
    I like Lambiel's style this time around- I was shocked at the tiger/zebra-barf concuctuon he wore at 06 Olympics in the FS- now he is a gallant hero, much more my taste

End subjectivity,reduce PCS, fix the COP! schiele's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    I don't see passion and inventiveness in his program. It's merely nice. Doesn't compare to Flamenco, Four Seasons, Dralion, or Carne Cruda.

Sorry. I'm really disappointed. I hope he skates the very best he can at Olympics, I still love him, but I don't believe that his Short Program or Long Program this year are great (let alone masterpieces, which I've come to expect from Lambiel). I'd still place him over most other skaters if he does his best, but I sadly can't consider him the greatest competitor this year.

Takahashi has the best programs this year and will deserve to win the Olympics if he skates perfect.
    I agree with your sentiments about \Lambiel's programmes and performance this year.. I think it's natural and in human nature to see greatness where there is not because of sentimentality.. At least he fought to the end and never ever gave up. But then the judging made it impossible for me to enjoy anything so I couldn't cheer much at the point.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    i think he came back a different lambiel after injury, more cheerful, more playful and more mature.
    Since practices i was excited that his last spin will be the last moment of competition. I loved his Lp, it is like he invites you to dance with him and music warms your heart.

Well i managed to watch the Eurosport coverage of the mens (i haven't watch any of teh GPs so this was my virst proper viewing of the programmes) event so random thoughts:

Contesti - I absolutely cannot stand the music he's skating to, it doesn't do a thing for me and i find the programme more than a little bit boring.

Ponsero - still skates like a runaway mine train. He reminds me an awful lot of Kostner in that he looks wild and uncontrolled with all of that speed. When he hits it, it works (just about, because the spanish SP looks forced and like a very poor imitation of Lambiel....maybe a paradoy of Lambiel is a better comparison) but when he doesn't it hust looks like he's flinging himself around on the ice.

Joubert - oh my goodness! Artistic Babou I can't tell you how much i enjoyed his programme and that never happens for me when he misses jumps and makes mistakes. I absolutely love the choreography (despite Nicky's back handed compliment during the broadcast....but Nicky's never right IMO!). Carry on working with the DenStavs (and stay in after the Olys to skate at worlds in your home country!!!!!). Yes the costume was remeniscant of Yagudin, yes the choreography was remeniscant of Yagudin....he even landed the triple loop like Yagudin landed his triple flip at the Olys but you know what i loved Yagudin and I think he's finally actually getting close to being a good copy of him. If he hits those jumps then he'll be flying. He's recovered well from the injury. If I were him i'd ditch the quad salchow and do a second quad toe. Oh and also the SPINS!!!! Who knew he could spin so well!

Pluschenko - okay so the programme is still not great. It looks and feels empty. There is no tango in his programme and while i did appreciate his attempt at slower steps it just showed that he can't pull the edges off very well - he looked off balance through parts of it (but hey if you flap to keep your balance that's upper body movement fo more levels isn't it?) and i can't say that I recognised any counters or rockers in the circular steps and wonder how he got up to level 3. But at the end I had to smile because really - the "old, overweight blah blah blah" skater that everyone wrote off went out and hit a 4-3 and five other triples. My prediction - the mens event at the olys will be a repeat of 2006 with a splatfest from all but Plush. I hope i'm proved wrong but i doubt I will be.

Brezina - love, love, love this guy! Hate, hate, hate the strange golfing outfit! I preferred the SP to the LP but i think if he hits all the elements perfectly he'll pick up the extra tech marks to hold his own. Just a quick question - how come his 3F+3T with double three turns in between was marked as a combo? Only a couple of judges gave it -1 GOE, so i'm thinking it can't be a GOE error. Just wondering out loud really.

Lambiel - what can i say! I'm not the biggest Lambiel fan (yes i am a strange one!) he started to win me over with the Flamenco LP and I love this LP as well. The movement is just so beautiful - his arms and his lines are just exquisite - the fall on the steps was just shocking (i shouted so loudly the dogs jumped!). Oh my goodness the SPIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINS that last for ever they are so fluid, they don't lose speed - that is what spinning should be, why he doesn't 3 across the coard I don't know.

And speaking spins - Plush's forward sit - is down, low and sits. The painful pick up leg and attempt (with little success) to put your head on the leg used in every spin is not good. COP needs amending to say - if the crappy position counts for the level then there shoudl be a GOE reduction for not hitting the position well, or if you don't hit the position, then it doesn't count towards the level but the GOE stays the same, at the moment (and i am picking on plush but there are many others that do it too) the system is crediting too many crappy positions for levels. Also - the camel - i don't think it had been watered for weeks because it really did not go round! Yes it's difficult to change feet from a non-camel position into a camel position on the other foot, but if you can't do it well DON'T!

Anyway rant over. Despite the messy skating i thought it was great! We didn't get to see tomas though...how was it?

Ant

End subjectivity,reduce PCS, fix the COP! schiele's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    Brezina - love, love, love this guy! Hate, hate, hate the strange golfing outfit! I preferred the SP to the LP but i think if he hits all the elements perfectly he'll pick up the extra tech marks to hold his own. Just a quick question - how come his 3F+3T with double three turns in between was marked as a combo? Only a couple of judges gave it -1 GOE, so i'm thinking it can't be a GOE error. Just wondering out loud really.

Oh my goodness the SPIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINS that last for ever they are so fluid, they don't lose speed - that is what spinning should be, why he doesn't 3 across the coard I don't know.
    Ant
    As long as he doesn't put down his non-landing foot and stays on his landing foot, the 2-3 turns in the middle is allowed and can be still marked as a combination. I think Brezina needs la lot more persona and fludity inbetween jumps but he has the goods.

Tomas did poorly, lacked energy throughout and had trouble with the first quad and the second 3 axel.

As for ther last spin on Lambiel, he was slow compared to any of his other performances of that spin.. the headless spin position was very slow especially. He was not anywhere near his best with that, hence no 3 GOE. Rightly so.
    Last edited by schiele; 01-22-2010 at 05:22 AM.

joub skated with the head concetrated, didnt sell his program at all and it didnt shine, at least live. The sound has great picks that he didnt take advantage of, I mean music was more powerful than his skate this time. And you could his face counting jumps. That was his mistake I think.He sold the programk in morning practice.

I dont remember now for Lp but in Sp what I loved is that Plush slows down his camel and accelerates it after according to music beat, that got me excited.

Lambiel just

If anybody believes that the CoP has made judging fair and has eliminated cheating after this competition, then they need help.

Technicaly,Plush was great and deserved his first place.
    However artisticly, it was probably one of the worst programs of the evening - I was playing find the artistry. No choreography, no interpretation, no transitions. yet again Mr Plushenko gets HUGE component scores. The judges all need to be sacked.

Stéphane was great. It's such a pleasure to have him back! Although I really likes his program, I still don't think it's complete.

Brian, ah Brian, what on earth are we going to do with him?
    He made it very clear that he wasn't aiming for a particular spot on the podium but more for a performance. I don't know what exactly were his objectives, but what should have been his objectives weren't reached.
    1) Artistry. This competition should have been about remind the world about his artistic capabilities (because he has loads). He should have just let himself go, he should have just felt the music. Unfortunately he was too crisp to do so. However, he didn't just fade away during the program, on the contrary, which is a positive thing.
    2) Quads. Being "Mr Quad" and with all the recent controversy, brian should have shown the importance he gives to quads. The original plan was to do 4t, 4s, but he only did a 2S. The problem is, the moment when he could have put a second 4t in his program was preceeded by intricate choreography, so he had no time to think about adding a quad. It should have been something him and his team should have thought about. Even if it were to make a mistaje, of have the second quad uncounted because maybe he wouldn't have been able to put it in a combo, at least the message would have got through.
    Looking at the score sheets however, I've noticed that all of his spins are level 4 which is excellent.

Custom Title
    I have always liked Lambiel but somehow I have never enjoyed his skating as completely as I enjoyed his this time's LP. Purely beautiful! I have never liked his costumes either until this LP costume. Thank you for coming back, Stephane!

The old guns are still the best!

Regarding to Olympics podium, I wish this time, Joubert will be on there no matter what color. It's just too painful to see him so sad.

Quote Originally Posted by jennylovskt View Post
    I have always liked Lambiel but somehow I have never enjoyed his skating as completely as I enjoyed his this time's LP. Purely beautiful! I have never liked his costumes either until this LP costume. Thank you for coming back, Stephane!

The old guns are still the best!

Regarding to Olympics podium, I wish this time, Joubert will be on there no matter what color. It's just too painful to see him so sad.
    Well Joubert will have to handle the pressure and skate much better in Vancouver to even get close to the podium.

He has the abilty and hope he skates his best at the Olympics.
    Think of it this way - if Evan could win the WC last year then anything is possible

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Think of it this way - if Evan could win the WC last year then anything is possible
    You are so generous!

Quote Originally Posted by jennylovskt View Post
    You are so generous!
    I have been on a roll this week

Go Brian!

Quote Originally Posted by Kunstrijdster View Post
    Yes. That's the way to think about it. Go Tomas
    If Moses could part the Red sea.......and if Greece could win the Euro Cup......
    then yes....Tomas can win an Olympic medal.

We must be positive K

Quote Originally Posted by Kunstrijdster View Post
    I'll really try my best, I promise.
    After seeing Laura, Kiira and Caro skate so well (and Sasha and Mirai) I am in a very good, positive mood. A little tired but happy

But I am afraid that Jenny likes me better when I am bad

Custom Title
    I liked Ponsero´s freeskate music and programme very much, but felt sad, that the choreographer had made it way too too busy. Unskateable for a freeskate, in my opinion. It would have needed places where a skater could rest a little bit.

Great for Plushy to win the title again and I felt glad for Lambiel, too. His programme is so beautiful...

who got more pcs in worlds 2008 than buttle?I can see the frustration
    god, i will go to Plush at breakfast first thing in the morning and beg him to put any transition anywhere in the program in exchange to a chocolate croissant/per transition cause I m tired of reading it and I expect to be reading it for at least 4 more yearsafter vancouver whatever happens
    Mr Plushenko brought the house down in tango, I dont know which component is that, but judges and audience agreed. Or i dont know, maybe he threatened them with a gun backstage.

He deserved his 8+ in transitions as much as Jouby deserved 8.6 in sp, I suspect Jouby got them for the same reason, he totally rocked in rise!
    Pfeiffers'arranguez was the worst program for me, it looked like eternity.
    Last edited by seniorita; 01-22-2010 at 02:39 PM.

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast