Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 205

Thread: Entries

  1. #91
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    798
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    NOT true. Look at their GP records:

    7th (179.58), 2nd (203.91) SAWYER
    7th (188.47), 6th (190.23) REYNOLDS
    12th (155.43), 11th (176.36) CHIPEUR

    Chipeur finished last of the 24 skaters who made it to the Olympics FS, which dovetailed perfectly with his GP record.

    I am sure Reynolds and Sawyer would surely have done better than that.
    You seem to have it in for Vaughn Chipeur for some reason. Vaughn is a good skater and finished 12th at the Worlds last year. You left that out.

    And as David Pelletier pointed out on the CTV commentary, apart from missing his triple axels, he skated a pretty good free program at the Olympics.

  2. #92
    Custom Title snowflake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,448
    I remember Kevin Reynolds skating very well at 4CC 2010 and looked it up.

    He was in third place(212.99) with Mroz and Bradley close behind.

  3. #93
    - * - blue_idealist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,767
    Yeah, Reynolds skated well at 4CC and Sawyer got 12th at the Olympics in Torino so I def. agree with the person who said either would do better than Chipeur. Reynolds got a 4CC medal and Sawyer got a GP Medal.. don't see Chipeur with any of those.

  4. #94
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    4,957
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Yeah, Reynolds skated well at 4CC and Sawyer got 12th at the Olympics in Torino so I def. agree with the person who said either would do better than Chipeur. Reynolds got a 4CC medal and Sawyer got a GP Medal.. don't see Chipeur with any of those.
    It's kind of beside the point though. Vaughn didn't skate up to his full potential at the Olympics, probably due to his injury and nerves, so you can't just assume that Reynolds and Sawyer would have skated up to their full potential had they been there instead. Joubert, Verner, and Contesti if they skated up to their potential could have easily medaled but instead the finished hardly ahead of Vaughn. The ice is slippery, especially at the Olympics. Vaughn earned his spot by skating well at Canadian nationals.

  5. #95
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,542
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    It's kind of beside the point though. Vaughn didn't skate up to his full potential at the Olympics, probably due to his injury and nerves, so you can't just assume that Reynolds and Sawyer would have skated up to their full potential had they been there instead. Joubert, Verner, and Contesti if they skated up to their potential could have easily medaled but instead the finished hardly ahead of Vaughn. The ice is slippery, especially at the Olympics. Vaughn earned his spot by skating well at Canadian nationals.
    Joubert is a former World Champion, a 4-time World medalwinner, and 3-time Euros champion who has medaled at every Euros since 2002; he was GPF champion in 2007 and has won 10 GP medals, including 6 gold. Verner is a former European Champion who has 3 GP medals to his credit. Contesti was 5th at 2009 Worlds and 2nd at 2009 Euros; he has won 9 medals in international competition, including 3 golds.

    If these 3 men performed poorly at the Vancouver Olympics, at least they have numerous laurels to their credit.

    But Chipeur in NO WAY compares to these three. He went to Worlds once, last year, and finished 12th. He has never medaled in the GP, JGP or 4CC. He bombed in the GP this year, and he bombed at the Olympics. His international record over the years has few if any highlights. I would consider his 2010 Nationals performance to be a lucky fluke for him.

  6. #96
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    4,957
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Joubert is a former World Champion, a 4-time World medalwinner, and 3-time Euros champion who has medaled at every Euros since 2002; he was GPF champion in 2007 and has won 10 GP medals, including 6 gold. Verner is a former European Champion who has 3 GP medals to his credit. Contesti was 5th at 2009 Worlds and 2nd at 2009 Euros; he has won 9 medals in international competition, including 3 golds.

    If these 3 men performed poorly at the Vancouver Olympics, at least they have numerous laurels to their credit.

    But Chipeur in NO WAY compares to these three. He went to Worlds once, last year, and finished 12th. He has never medaled in the GP, JGP or 4CC. He bombed in the GP this year, and he bombed at the Olympics. His international record over the years has few if any highlights. I would consider his 2010 Nationals performance to be a lucky fluke for him.
    You are right, but I guess even though Vaughn skated much better at Canadian nationals this year than he really ever has in his career, if he could have skated like that again in Vancouver, he would have finished much higher in the standings. I didn't realize his track record was that poor, but realistically Sawyer and Reynolds had no chance of medaling, and where placement at the Olympics doesn't count for anything, finishing say 14th instead of 23rd doesn't make that big of a difference. At Worlds, it does make a difference and so it's probably a good thing Reynolds is going in place of Chipeur.

  7. #97
    Ice Dancing and Johnny Fan MissIzzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    765
    Johnny's out: http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=44361&type=media
    I think this might be it for him. Coming on the day he returns to practice makes me suspicious he's out of motivation.
    Meanwhile, Jeremy? Please please please please skate well? Pretty please with three spots on top? Though it might be a narrow thing even if he does.

  8. #98
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    32
    As much as a like Vaughn Chipeur - when his jumps are on they are spectacular - he does seem to crack under pressure and may never be an international competitor. I think Skate Canada gave him a good chance to prove whether he could compete internationally or not and unfortunately he did not deliver. Shawn Sawyer is a wonderful skater but continually 2-foots his triple axel. When he won his GP medal I think it was the ONLY time I have ever seen him land a clean triple axel. Such a shame as the rest of his skating is world class.

    Reynolds will hopefully have trained up his long program - at 4CC it started off really well and ended rather disastrously with a number of falls and other mistakes. If he can iron that out, then I think he can easily make the top ten. His quads seem very consistent - he seems to have more trouble with his triple axel.

    I like Jeremy Ten the best out of the younger Canadian men - I hope he makes the national team for next season!

  9. #99
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    4,957
    Quote Originally Posted by MissIzzy View Post
    Johnny's out: http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=44361&type=media
    I think this might be it for him. Coming on the day he returns to practice makes me suspicious he's out of motivation.
    Meanwhile, Jeremy? Please please please please skate well? Pretty please with three spots on top? Though it might be a narrow thing even if he does.
    So no Lysacek, no Weir, no Lambiel, and maybe no Joubert? Honestly this is a great competition for Jeremy, Nobu, Tomas or Ryan to step up to the plate and finally win a world medal they are all capable of winning. I really hope they all do well, this is a prime opportunity for them with so many of the medal favorites not competing.

  10. #100
    - * - blue_idealist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,767
    Quote Originally Posted by sgower View Post

    I like Jeremy Ten the best out of the younger Canadian men - I hope he makes the national team for next season!
    I like him too. I'm following him on Twitter. His tweets are SO cute. lol.

  11. #101
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    39

    Chipeur

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Joubert is a former World Champion, a 4-time World medalwinner, and 3-time Euros champion who has medaled at every Euros since 2002; he was GPF champion in 2007 and has won 10 GP medals, including 6 gold. Verner is a former European Champion who has 3 GP medals to his credit. Contesti was 5th at 2009 Worlds and 2nd at 2009 Euros; he has won 9 medals in international competition, including 3 golds.

    If these 3 men performed poorly at the Vancouver Olympics, at least they have numerous laurels to their credit.

    But Chipeur in NO WAY compares to these three. He went to Worlds once, last year, and finished 12th. He has never medaled in the GP, JGP or 4CC. He bombed in the GP this year, and he bombed at the Olympics. His international record over the years has few if any highlights. I would consider his 2010 Nationals performance to be a lucky fluke for him.
    Chipeurs season started late. Long program didn't get finished until August. A season of battling boot problems. He had an injury already in October. He struggled through the season 9 pairs of skates and said he felt his ankle pop at the GPrix in Japan. It wasnt dicovered until after he competed at Olympics that he had a complete tear of the anterior talofibular ligament . Vaughn withdrew after having the MRI at Olympics. He never blamed his skating results on his injury, like others would do. Funny know one is complaining about Thomas Verners performance.
    I never competed at Olympics so I cannot comment on his poor performance. I doubt I could have done better!!!!!!!

  12. #102
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    798
    I think Chipeur was undermarked in the free program. He skated better than Verner, Joubert and Lindemann, and should have finished ahead of them. Chipeur may have missed his 2 triple axels, but he didn't fall and spend half of his program on his backside like the others did. They made far more mistakes. I think several of those guys were held up above Vaughn because of their previous standings at the World level.

  13. #103

  14. #104
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by ateffa94 View Post
    In the ladies event, almost all of the top skaters from Vancouver will be going right back on the ice! This is going to be SO EXCITING!!

  15. #105
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Hungary, Europe
    Posts
    904
    Lindemann out - Liebers in.
    Beier's out - Hermann's in (with Zazoui)
    Finally a french girl: Gwendoline DIDIER
    Copely-Stagniunas in! YEEE!

    OMG: Pang/Tong, Volosozhar/Morozov, Karademir, Dom/Shab IN

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •