New York Times Article on Costuming | Golden Skate

New York Times Article on Costuming

i love to skate

Medalist
I think this is exactly what Skate Canada was trying to avoid when they suggested that skaters "tone down" the costumes. Figure skating is being laughed at. I can't even imagine what people's reactions will be at the Olympics when they see D/S painted faces and costumes, Weir's costume, V/M (pairs team) costumes or S/S painted faces.

Skating has reached the point where “Blades of Glory” seems less like satire and more like cinéma vérité. Lilac vinyl jumpsuits, sheer tops, off-the-shoulder necklines, corsets, tassels, feathers and fur are all the rage. And then there are the women.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/17/sports/olympics/17longman.html

Last edited:
I agree with this article.

The ISU does have a rule on costumes: "a skater's costume must be appropriate for an athletic competition." I think they should enforce their rule and start giving costume deductions.

I kind of like the idea of one program in unitards and one in whatever the heck the skaters want to put on. Obviously for some skaters (not namin' any names) the costume is the fun part after all the hard work. And you can make a case for it what with the music and interpretation points and all.

But an SP in unitards would prove what an athletic contest it all is, too, which sometimes gets overshadowed.

Of course, we're liable to get some wild unitards if we go this route. ;)

^ True, different cultures have different ideas about what is appropriate clothing for sporting events. Like a traditional riding outfit for equestian, for instance.

But in the U.S., I think the Times makes a serious point. This year the U.S. does not have much going on with the ladies. On the men's side, however, we have some legitimate podium aspirants. It would be cool if we could get more people interested in the sport, both as participants and as viewers.

But that won't happen as long as the guys go out on the ice looking like Bobo the Clown.

oxade21

Match Penalty
^ True, different cultures have different ideas about what is appropriate clothing for sporting events. Like a traditional riding outfit for equestian, for instance.

But in the U.S., I think the Times makes a serious point. This year the U.S. does not have much going on with the ladies. On the men's side, however, we have some legitimate podium aspirants. It would be cool if we could get more people interested in the sport, both as participants and as viewers.

But that won't happen as long as the guys go out on the ice looking like Bobo the Clown.

It's funny that Americans and Canadians make so much noise about painted faces while failing to see offensiveness to certain minorities (and I am not talking about you personally BUT since you pointed out the gender...) in these kind of remarks. I wish we had some transgendered people in this sport to see how would N.A media spin that one.

The razzle dazzle of the skaters is in the costumes.

The music is to blend in with the costume or the costumes to the music?

Music and costumes, I presume, are supposed to get one involved emotionally.

Do they? Oh the artistry of it all!

Unlike Euro football or American baseball which use uniforms and getting involved is strictly in the game itself, figure skating uses music and costumes to enhance the picture. It apparently, does not enhance the Sport according to the NY Times

I agree with Ilovetoskate in his observation of Blades of Glory ridiculing figure skating rather than parroding it. I said so at the time, but the fans loved it. Sadly after the Olys, I think figure skating will again hibernate in the world of sports until the next Oly.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I agree with this article.

The ISU does have a rule on costumes: "a skater's costume must be appropriate for an athletic competition." I think they should enforce their rule and start giving costume deductions.

I never knew about this rule. This quote is rather vague:

"a skater's costume must be appropriate for an athletic competition."

Is there more to this rule, maybe some guidlines? Otherwise it is not only vague but also very subjective.

Has there been a "penalty" issued for a questionable figure skating costume?

The DomShab program is creating quite a stir but it seems to go beyond the costume/makeup issue.

I am not against this rule - just interested in knowing more about it.

That article was a hoot! "The costume was the latest from Vera Wang, but it screamed vintage Heckle and Jeckle." My favorite line! (Well, my other favorite: Tara Lipinski's costume: "I'm going to my first communion, and I intend to yodel.")

Actually, I think Lysacek's costume is pretty restrained in comparison to some of the others: it's all one color (and a subdued black, at that), and its lines are simple except for the feathers.

I remember that a friend of mine once said that Urmanov tended to dress "like Romeo." Remember him as the swan in Swan Lake? The Russians have long been famous for out-there costumes--as if they were trying to claim the invention of Cirque du Soleil. Kulik's was one of the most memorable of their output. The guy looks like a Greek god, and he skated to Gershwin. Yet what I remember, besides his jumps, was that putrid giraffe-skin jacket.

I do think, however, that it's unfair of the article to lump all the other skaters together with Johnny Weir. Weir is a showman who enjoys, as he says, dressing like a diva. This approach works perfectly with his poetic style. Using him to typify skating costumes, though, is like saying that pianists tend to overdress and showing a photo of Liberace as proof.

My favorite costumes tend to be the simple and unadorned, like Michelle Kwan's (also by Vera Wang, let's remember) YuNa Kim's gorgeously severe Bond Girl dress this year, and Kostner's dress from 2006. (Special mention to the Finnish ladies, as always.) One wonderful trend among male pro skaters is jeans and a shirt. I wish more eligible guys would wear that outfit. It's both graceful and athletic. When you think of Paul Martini and Barbara Underhill in their timeless pro competitions, you will probably agree that this "costume" is more romantic than any amount of sequins.

Last edited:

Medusa

Record Breaker
I remember that a friend of mine once said that Urmanov tended to dress "like Romeo." Remember him as the swan in Swan Lake? The Russians have long been famous for out-there costumes--as if they were trying to claim the invention of Cirque du Soleil.
C-u-l-t-u-r-a-l D-i-f-f-e-r-e-n-c-e-s

Or shall I write it in capital letters?

I mean really, people. For them, their costumes are not out there.

There is lots of stuff like that: not everywhere pink is a colour for girls, not everywhere gloves are considered unmanly, not everywhere ballet or skating are considered "gay" domains (e.g. in Russia).

And not everywhere jeans and a sweatshirt are considered stylish.

The rest of the figure skating world does not exist in order to assimilate their costumes / skating / styles to the North-American standard.

I am all for black unitards, but I doubt too many of you guys are - because then there are no Russian costumes left to trash, nobody left to ridicule and feel superior to.

I am not against this rule - just interested in knowing more about it.

I will try to look it up. There are some more parts to it, like ladies' skirts must be long enough to cover their buttocks (presumeably this means except for spiral positions), men must wear trousers and not tights, skaters cannot skate barechested or with so much illusion fabric as to give the appearance of skating naked, etc.

The length of a ladies' skirt thing is called the "Katarina Witt rule," after the time that the ISU made Katarina glue some feathers to the bottom of her skirt to make it decent.

There are also some rules in ice dance to the effect that dancers should not go for extended crotch shots on carry lifts (brief flashing is OK), and the like. I think there might be something about how high a ladies panties can be cut to avoid wedgies (but they forgot to tell Shizuka Arakawa).

I don't know if any penalties have ever been given out. A couple of years ago they changed the rule to allow ladies to wear pants.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I will try to look it up. There are some more parts to it, like ladies' skirts must be long enough to cover their buttocks (presumeably this means except for spiral positions), men must wear trousers and not tights, skaters cannot skate barechested or with so much illusion fabric as to give the appearance of skating naked, etc.

The length of a ladies' skirt thing is called the "Katarina Witt rule," after the time that the ISU made Katarina glue some feathers to the bottom of her skirt to make it decent.

There are also some rules in ice dance to the effect that dancers should not go for extended crotch shots on carry lifts (brief flashing is OK), and the like. I think there might be something about how high a ladies panties can be cut to avoid wedgies (but they forgot to tell Shizuka Arakawa).

I don't know if any penalties have ever been given out. A couple of years ago they changed the rule to allow ladies to wear pants.

Thanks mm. I get the general idea. It sounds like they might try to fix up an objectionable costume like Witt's as opposed to actually penalizing her.

Button does mention that certain judges might be turned off by some of Weir's costumes and it could effect their marks. Maybe 2008 comes to mind?

OHgal

Rinkside
That article made me chuckle.

I really like the idea of a "uniform" for the SP to emphasize the skater's lines and athleticism without the distraction of tassles, feathers, or giraffe spots.

Then they can glam it up for the LP. But within reason! Dick Button was right -- some of those costumes are really distracting. (I love watching Johnny, but I think i spent as much time trying to understand his costumes at Nationals asI did watching him skate. Not his intention, I'm sure!)

Last edited:

There is lots of stuff like that: not everywhere pink is a colour for girls, not everywhere gloves are considered unmanly, not everywhere ballet or skating are considered "gay" domains (e.g. in Russia)....

To me, that is not exactly the point. Russian hockey players, Russian track and field athletes, Russian football players do not dress up like Russian ballet dancers dancing the role of a 14th century prince in old braid and sword. They dress in a way that is "appropriate for an athletic competition."

It's not? You just trashed my whole wardrobe!

janetfan

Match Penalty
It's not? You just trashed my whole wardrobe!

I am getting tired of jeans and cotton sweaters.
Maybe we need to go with this look:

http://www.pinkpineappleparty.co.uk/images/lederhosen.jpg

Just kidding and I like lederhosen and yodelling :cool:

It's funny, but many just got done trashing Elvis but this topic feels somewhat related to some of his remarks.

Of course some of this is cultural but certain aspects of costume discussion seems to have a gender related feel about it too.

Last edited:
Of course some of this is cultural but certain aspects of costume discussion seems to have a gender related feel about it too.

Absolutely. In much of the animal world the male struts his plumage to attract the female.

Humans display an astonishing and belwildering cacaphony of courtship rituals, but for better or for worse, in Western culture the norm became the opposite of the peacock. It is the woman that is supposed to dress pretty, put on lipstick, comb her hair, etc., to attract the male. (Your daddy's rich and your mama's good lookin'.)

Role reversal is the ground zero of comedy. When Milton Berle put on a woman's dress in the early days of TV, or when Jack Lemmon dressed up like a woman in Some Like it Hot, that was funny.

Likewise, when male figure skaters dress like peacocks, that's funny, too.

(Interestingly, the basic female skating dress has hardly changed since the days of Sonja Henie.)

dwiggin3

Final Flight
next year, I will be taking my mom to her first nationals in NC (It's the least I can do after all the years she spend in cold ice rinks and driving me to and fro). The first thing she said was "oh, and do we get to look at all the pretty costumes?" LOL

The costumes are one aspect of skating I really like. I remember as a kid, having lots of hand-me-down costumes and wishing I could have a fancy new one every year - but it was so $$. I can only imagine what they go for now.

Costumes, IMHO, can really add or take away from the performance. But I have to agree, some of the costumes of late are a bit, well, shall we say...interesting?

Personally, I liked Evan's attempt at something a bit more flashing this year - though feathers on the wrists were a bit much. Johnny - well he is always flashing and interestingly, I think I like the one with pink. Jeremey's costume was a bit bland for me - but he is much more the classic old-school skater of the bunch and It works.

Of all the big names in US skating, the costumes I like the least have been Belbin/Agosto - w/exception of the black/blue number she wore for a few years ago at worlds when she tripped/fell. I liked that one.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Now I really had to smile when I looked at the schedule for US Nationals and all the Ladies events were colored pink and the Men events blue. :biggrin:

http://www.usfigureskating.org/event_details.asp?id=41451

A coincidence perhaps ;) :p

Here is a pic Italian Serie A Club Palermo's famous pink jersey:

http://www.la-maglia-rosanero.com/cavanigenbig.jpg

Many times the one of the world's greatest goalies - Gianluca Buffon of Juventus wears a pink jersey. Maybe that is why they call him "Gigi" :cool:

BlackAxel

Final Flight
Along with the music selection and choreography, a lot of thought should be put into choosing a costume. While there may various differences in skaters' culture, a costume should be tasteful and should hinder and obstruct a skater's movement or performance.

An example of a tasteful costume that suits the music selection perfectly:

http://www.blogut.ca/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/3-Yuko-Alexander1.jpg

Here is a site that is also dedicated to the BEST/WORST dressed skaters:

http://www.blogut.ca/2009/11/30/figure-skating-undressed/

i love to skate

Medalist

There is lots of stuff like that: not everywhere pink is a colour for girls, not everywhere gloves are considered unmanly, not everywhere ballet or skating are considered "gay" domains (e.g. in Russia).

The rest of the figure skating world does not exist in order to assimilate their costumes / skating / styles to the North-American standard.

I am all for black unitards, but I doubt too many of you guys are - because then there are no Russian costumes left to trash, nobody left to ridicule and feel superior to.

Cultural differences are not the problem. The problem is that the costumes distract from the performance and make this "sport" look ridiculous. The ISU really needs to look at this and enforce changes. Costumes should be minimal - only sequins or rhinestones, or other small additions allowed. There should be no more "painted faces" - this is not the opera or circus. This is an Olympic event and it is starting to look like a sideshow.