Inoue/Baldwin turned down a spot to compete at the 2010 World | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Inoue/Baldwin turned down a spot to compete at the 2010 World

For some reason, I think this is shoddy journalism. I think the author wanted to cook up a story about a judging controversy, and in order to do so he had to quote John out of context and put him in as bad a light as possible.

I think that one could use those same quotes in a story with a different focus, and John would not come out looking nearly as bad. It suited the columnist's agenda to make John seem to be saying, curse you, judges, and you too, USFSA. (and you, too, Evora and Ladwig).

I bet I could interview John and get him to say, congratulations to Amanda and Mark, they worked hard and earned their place on the Olympic team. Naturally Rena and I are disappointed, but we skated our hearts out and can now retire with no regrets. (Etc., etc.) As for Worlds, our goal was to make the Olympic team, and going to Four Continents or Worlds just would not be a fulfilling experience for us at this stage in our career. I am sure that Caydee and Jeremy and Amanda and Mark will do us proud. Thank you.

(In fact, in my little fantasy world, that is what John said. :laugh: )

janetfan

Match Penalty
I bet I could interview John and get him to say, congratulations to Amanda and Mark, they worked hard and earned their place on the Olympic team. Naturally Rena and I are disappointed, but we skated our hearts out and can now retire with no regrets. (Etc., etc.) As for Worlds, our goal was to make the Olympic team, and going to Four Continents or Worlds just would not be a fulfilling experience for us at this stage in our career. I am sure that Caydee and Jeremy and Amanda and Mark will do us proud. Thank you.

(In fact, in my little fantasy world, that is what John said. :laugh: )

Do they train in Detroit? :)

^ No, but I saw them here a few years ago when they volunteered their time to particpate in a benefit show organized by Belbin and Agosto to raise money for the victims of the tsunami in Indonesia. They did a cute routine to "There she was just a-walking down the street, Singing doo - wah diddy, diddy dum diddy doo -- She looked good! She looked fine!" :love:

OT, but the highlight of the show was when Johnny Weir joined Lucash and Orsher in an impromtu exhibition of side-by-side-by-side jumps up and down the ice.

They raised $20,000 for the cause, and I got to sit right next to Aaron Parchem, who was working the spotlight. :biggrin:

I think we all have to be on the lookout this year as the media searches for dramatic narratives leading up to and during the Olympics. That's just what they do.

Example: GS's Elvin Walker turning Bebe Liang into an aging movie star from the Broadway show Follies whose signature number is called, "I'm still here." :indiff:
http://www.goldenskate.com/articles/2009/liang.shtml

(I love Bebe! I know we can count on a great SP from her. Go, Bebe! :clap: :love:)

Antilles

Medalist
I don't like Sand's justification for why the axel should have been at least a zero. Just because no one else does it? I don't think you can disregard the quality of an element, just because it's rare. The article also stated I&B are the only ones to ever try the triple axel. Abitibol&Bernadis tried it a few times in competition. I think Olympics '98 was one such attempt.

If the story is true and I/B did in fact turn down the offer to skate in the 2010 Worlds, then I am drawn to believe the selection committee does review and discuss skaters and teams (other than for illness and injuries of favorites only) as the Committee is appointed to do so. As I said way before, we will never know what were the deliberations.

Assuming we know at least this possible rumor,the decisions were announced and that is gospel.

mskater93

Record Breaker
The final score was close (0.6 points) between E/L and I/B but E/L came out ahead. They were resoundingly nominated to the Olympics (according to a USFS article where Patricia St. Peters was quoted) and I/B were offered 4CC and the WC as a "consolation prize" sort of thing since it WAS so close. The OC Register article on Sunday had the whole quote from John Baldwin and his justification and rationale for being a poor sport. It came off, even in the OC Register as sour grapes toward E/L. I stand by my initial assertions - skate a cleaner SP, John, or do YOUR part to help the team, don't grouse.

The final score was close (0.6 points) between E/L and I/B but E/L came out ahead. They were resoundingly nominated to the Olympics (according to a USFS article where Patricia St. Peters was quoted) and I/B were offered 4CC and the, WC as a "consolation prize" sort of thing since it WAS so close. The OC Register article on Sunday had the whole quote from John Baldwin and his justification and rationale for being a poor sport. It came off, even in the OC Register as sour grapes toward E/L. I stand by my initial assertions - skate a cleaner SP, John, or do YOUR part to help the team, don't grouse.
If Figure Skating would open up its doors on what leads to its decisions, none of this would we be discussing. There is far to much secrecy in Figure Skating worldwide, imo.

nylynnr

On the Ice
There is no mystery about the decision to send the top two national pair finishers to Olympics and worlds. The criteria is on the USFS website. The results in Spokane are weighed heaviest, followed by the most recent Grand Prix Final. There's no precise mathematical formula to publish -- it's a discussion.

Furthermore, the discussions in the selection committee meeting are monitored by a member of the USOC to ensure all athletes get a fair shake. In addition, it's worth noting all the athletes were asked by U.S. Figure Skating, some time ago, if they were interested in going to 4C's, because the ISU required that a potential list of competitors be assembled well ahead of time. At that point, John and Rena did not decline 4C's, they waited until after nationals to do so -- thus removing another potential competitor from the ISU approved list.

On another note, there is absolutely nothing, so far as I know, to indicate Rena and John were ever offered Worlds, other than John's statements made to the OC reporter. Same reporter did not include any confirmation/response from US Skating; the initial article didn't even mention that John and Rena were behind Evora and Ladwig in the short. IMO this was trying to stir up controversy where none existed.

janetfan

Match Penalty
The final score was close (0.6 points) between E/L and I/B but E/L came out ahead. They were resoundingly nominated to the Olympics (according to a USFS article where Patricia St. Peters was quoted) and I/B were offered 4CC and the WC as a "consolation prize" sort of thing since it WAS so close. The OC Register article on Sunday had the whole quote from John Baldwin and his justification and rationale for being a poor sport. It came off, even in the OC Register as sour grapes toward E/L. I stand by my initial assertions - skate a cleaner SP, John, or do YOUR part to help the team, don't grouse.

That's how I see it. E/L finished second and earned their tickets to Vancouver.

I don't blame Baldwin for being a bad sport. Maybe I don't like it - but it had to be tough losing by 0.6.

I also understand them being offered a spot at 4CC and Worlds. It appears that they were going to retire after the Olympics if they had made it and Worlds probably didn't fit into their plans.

On another note, there is absolutely nothing, so far as I know, to indicate Rena and John were ever offered Worlds, other than John's statements made to the OC reporter. Same reporter did not include any confirmation/response from US Skating;.... IMO this was trying to stir up controversy where none existed.

Thank you for clearing that up.

I hope with the display of the USFS Criteria for selecting the the team for the Olympics during the Ladies Free Skate, that this discussion is finished. No one could produce an official document showing that the results of the Nats were the only method for the Team's selection.

Like it or not, there is NO OLYMPIC TRIALS IN THE USFS .

Proponents of the national results could complain that there should be, but should now understand it just isn't so. Maybe in the future.

On another note: It may well be that the Committee was reading the discussion on GS? Yes? Also showing the criteria during the Ladies, maybe we are in for a bumpy night. :cool: