ER episode was Gripping tonight! | Golden Skate

ER episode was Gripping tonight!

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Did anyone watch ER? I thought it was really good. Bob Newheart added a refreshing role.

guinevere

Final Flight
I agree - it was a good episode. Unfortunately, since my move, my television gets terrible reception (except, thank goddess, for CBS, home of Survivor!). I think it was probably a much better episode than I could see!!

- Sooo glad Abby's back in med school! Nice that they got a replacement nurse with the same hairstyle as Abby so they won't miss her too bad, heh.

- Equally glad that Corday's idiot doctor dude was exposed as the jerk he is.

- I think that Weaver was in this episode for about 3 seconds, but I can't be sure :(

- Same with Gallant :(

- the storyline of Paula was really intense. Yow!

- anyone else think Dr Lewis' new hair makes her look like Lucy Knight (RIP)?

- Can't wait to see how Bob Newhart's role is expanded. My grandmother has had macular degeneration for about 17 years, so I'm particularly interested in this storyline.

- I don't miss Carter one bit. The new characters are interesting, and old characters seem to have new angles. Yea!

guinevere

windspirit

On the Ice
I must've missed one episode. I never saw the scenes that were shown at the beginning of the episode (the ones they were meant to remind us what had happened before, I guess).

I'm ecstatic for Abby (that she's back in med school). You go, girl! http://www.members.lycos.co.uk/windspirit6/sm/yesss.gif

I'm a little surprised that Dr. Corday went for The Jerk guy (sorry, can't remember his name). I mean, not that she slept with him, but that she let herself get emotionally involved (enough to be pissed and hurt by whatever happened after it -- and what exactly happened, btw?) in something, that, from the beginning, was going to be nothing more than a one-night stand, or a short-lived fling, at best.

I love the new nurse. As for the new doc who screwed up and walked away, I hope he won't be coming back, as he and his story line were boooring.

Romano (one of my favorite characters) is starting to get on my nerves; he's getting a little boring himself, and most of all, pathetic!

I do miss Carter a bit. :)

The Paula storyline was really sad. :cry: (really well done, too -- I mean, it looked like a real person was set on fire and really burning... and I'm sure it was, but I was surprised for how long they showed it, it must've been rather dangerous to the stunt person).

windspirit

On the Ice
- Abby's back in med school. :D I think she has only one more year to go...? I'm not sure what exactly her status at the hospital is now, but she gets called if they need a surgical consult (Romano did everything to put her in her place, but she didn't even wince). But she's still going to take some nurse shifts; she needs the money.

- the Paula storyline: A woman comes in carrying her little son, who's fallen out of a shopping cart(?) and hit his head. When they're treating the kid, Dr. Lewis takes the mother (Paula) to ask her a few things. She smells alcohol on her breath, and decided to call Social Services. Paula and her husband are in the middle of a custody battle (and her doctor has put her on Zoloft for despression), and as she's had some similar episode before, they decide that for now kids will go to their father. He comes to the hospital, Paula decides to leave, and goes to her car, her older son runs after her... She gets some bottle from a shopping bag, sits in the front seat, and pour some liquid from the bottle on herself, and lights a match... :( Some people from ER who were standing near take her out after a while (and in that scene one of the new docs turns out to be a real ER material, at least for me, btw it's the one with asthma, I still don't remember their names), and put up the fire (and believe me, her whole body was on fire, and she was really burning). She ends up with 90% burns. She wants to see her kids before she dies, and they bring the younger one (he's OK after the fall, btw). She rises her arm, and the person who holds the kid takes him closer, and it looks as if he's going to grab her hand, but backs out. I don't think it was scripted, as the kid was too small for that, he just didn't want to touch something than strange looking (her hand was burned). The older son doesn't want to see her, so she dictates a letter for him.

What was really sad for me in that whole story, was the fact that it had to end that way. I wasn't moved/frightened/saddened by the sight of a person in flames, but by a person, who I knew, would cease to exist in a moment, at such an early age, leaving two kids without a mother, and it didn't to be that way at all... She made a bad decision and there was no way back.

- a woman waits for 11 hours to be admitted, later when an ambulance brings her in, she dies from an internal bleeding(?). One of the new docs was supposed to check her (and other people in the waiting room) out, but he was doing everything to weasel out of that. In the end he breaks down and walks away. He yells something to another new doc (the one with asthma): "You've carried me through the school, but you can't anymore", or something like that. The asthma guy runs after him, and when he stands outside Pratts tells him (sorry, don't remember the quote, but it was good) that his buddy clearly wasn't cut out to be an ER doc, and: "The jury is still out on you." I hope the asthma guy stays, I like him already (he burned his forehead while talking Paula out of her car, and when a nurse wanted to take her of it, he said: "Oh, it's nothing.")

(I'll try to finish it later if no one else does).

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Wow, I loved the way Luca took charge of the ER.....I agree, as much as I like John Carter, I haven't missed him yet.........it's about time Abby went back to med school........Romano is getting on my nerves too.........either tame him back a bit or have him get involved romantically with someone...............42

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I can't beleive I missed this. Burns are one of the most difficult injuries to treat for the patient and the staff physically and emotionally. My hat is off to the staffs of burn units. They are very special people. Thanks guys.

Piel

heyang

Record Breaker
Just to add some additional details.

Lewis felt guilty for the mother setting fire to herself. The younger child was really a toddler. The woman claimed that she must not have strapped the baby in the cart securely. Dr. Lewis confroted her about the smell of alcohol on her breath and the woman admitted that she had had a drink or to, but it was nothing. Dr Lewis asked her if she was willing to take a breathalzyer test and she looked at her lap in shame. The woman begged her not to say anything since her husband was suing for custody, but Dr Lewis had to report her to social services. It was decided that the kids should put in their father's custody. When the father came to the ER, the older boy ran to him ... the father wasn't particularly harsh, but he did make a comment about how she shouldn't screw up her children's lives (don't remember the exact phrasing). The mom went to the car and took a brown paper bag of something out of the back of the car, got in the front of the car (so by now you think she's probably going to get drunk) and locks the doors. Her older son has been running after her. Behold, she pulls out a bottle of BBQ ligher fluid, sprays it over herself and lights a match. She's burning in the car. Dr Lewis grabs the son to prevent him from watching his mother burn - even though he saw her go on fire. Luka and a couple of the interns grab a back board and use it to break the window. When the open the door, the woman falls out and they smother her with blankets. In the ER, they try to saver her - Luka says something about her having burns over 90% of her body = 10% surivival rate. One of the interns mentions that the patient said she didn't want help. Dr Lewis says that her request for DNR is overridden by the patient's mental state. The older son refuses to see his mother.. she asks them to write him a letter that she dictates. Essentially she asks him to remember the good times and tells him that she's sorry that she couldn't take the help she needed.

It really was a great episode. The best episodes are the ones where thing seem relatively normal and then all heck breaks loose during the last minutes of the show. Love's Labors Lost is still the standout episode to me - the one where Anthony Green's character tries to deliver a baby and there are a mulitude of complicatons. The baby is born and everyone thinks all will be well...then suddenly the new mother crashes and they can't save her. The closing seen is of Dr Green going into the nursery to tell the new father who is rocking the baby that his wife is gone.

ER is at it's best when it's more about the rush of the ER than the personal lives of the doctors.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Heyang, thanks. LLL was one of the best ER episodes. I remember watching it literally on the edge of my seat feeling like I wanted to jump into the TV and help...DO SOMETHING. I was exhausted after that episode. Great TV!

Piel