Championship Ladies FS | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Championship Ladies FS

R.D.

Record Breaker
And she was 1st after the short then too ( but by a wider margin). Things are looking good for Mirai.

Yes they are. But you know that overused cliche- "ice is slippery"- well, anything can happen, it's about what you put on the ice when it counts, and nothing more. Practices are mainly to get the jitters out and also to get a feel for the ice.

Also, she is in a virtual tie for 1st with two other skaters. If Nagasu can REALLY knock it out of the park, I don't think the other skaters stand a chance. But if she slips up (and/or is lacking the fire) she could be surpassed.

Bennett

Record Breaker
LP will be the real test for Cohen. Dai who has been away for a long time has had wonderful SP performances but has struggled with his LP performances. Sasha's jumps look so tight that I doubt if she stays on her feet when she needs to do multiple jumps instead of just three.

As for Mirai, her music choice may not help her too much against Sasha. Mirai can be a great performer, but may not be at her best with that Carmen.

I personally do not have an impression that Wagner is a LP skater. She often makes mistakes towards the end.

The selection committee may feel a bit hesitant to pick Sasha if she did not come in first or second in a convincing manner. After all, it is just one event consisting of two performances.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I personally do not have an impression that Wagner is a LP skater. She often makes mistakes towards the end.

Overall, though, she has had better LPs than SPs, at least this season. She gets into the (bad) habit of digging herself a hole in the SP that she has to climb out of later. She can still grab an Oly spot but I think her fate is as much dependent on the skaters ahead of her as it is herself. If at least two of Cohen/Nagasu/Flatt nail their freeskate, that's it for Ashley, doesn't matter what she does IMO

But, as she skates first, she can set the tone (and the bar). Very powerful position to be in, actually.

jeff goldblum

On the Ice
ITA....and it seems like Mirai will probably be doing a 3x3 as soon as Frank is satisfied with her technique.

Her jumps were so clean and light last night and best and biggest 2A.

Sylvia did tweet that she saw a 3Lz-3T from Mirai in one of the practices. And, of course, we've all seen her do it before. I also remember reading in an article during last season that Charlene Wong said Mirai could land every triple with both triple toe or triple loop on the end. I may be remembering that wrong, but it doesn't seem entirely unlikely. If she does make it to Vancouver I wonder if she'll try one there. It'd also be nice if she could get that triple Salchow back. It was always such a nice jump from Mirai.

Myla

Rinkside
I cant wait to see the ladies' free tomorrow!

For those who asked, the free will be at 4pm local time!!

Hope Sasha & Ashley make the team!! But what I really want, with all my heart, is that Sasha does a CLEAN program, with no falls. Is that too much to ask??

Gymfan15

On the Ice
Does anyone know what time the FS starts tomorrow? And also where it will be airing. I heard somewhere that Universal Sports will show the first half and NBC will show the second half, but I don't know that for sure and would like to confirm times and channels. :)

jan

On the Ice
CAn someone tell me why the US does not use the ISU results page. As well, Is there a schedule I can look at for today?
Thanks

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Yes they are. But you know that overused cliche- "ice is slippery"- well, anything can happen, it's about what you put on the ice when it counts, and nothing more. Practices are mainly to get the jitters out and also to get a feel for the ice.

Also, she is in a virtual tie for 1st with two other skaters. If Nagasu can REALLY knock it out of the park, I don't think the other skaters stand a chance. But if she slips up (and/or is lacking the fire) she could be surpassed.

True. Mirai's biggest problem in the LP is URs though, not falls, and judging by the way her jumps looked on Thursday, she should be fine in the UR department (those jumps in the SP were gorgeous). But we shall see. I believe Mirai, Sasha, and Ashley are all attempting 6 triples in the FS, while Rachael is attempting 7. Ashley also has yet to do a 3 jump combination in the FS this year, but does have two sequences which will gain her more points than a 3-2. It will be interesting to see who comes out on top if they all go clean!:love:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
CAn someone tell me why the US does not use the ISU results page. As well, Is there a schedule I can look at for today?
Thanks

Start Orders, Results, & Protocols: http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2010/64740/results.html

Event Schedule: http://www.spokane2010.com/51,eventschedule

Saturday, January 23
Championship Dance Final
11:40 AM - 3:00 PM

Championship Ladies Final
4:00 PM - 8:00 PM

Those times listed are for the pacific/west coast.

On the east coast, the dance final starts at 2:40 PM (4 hours 50 minutes from now) and ends at 6:00 PM and the ladies final starts at 7:00 PM (about 9 hours from now) and ends at 11:00 PM.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
True. Mirai's biggest problem in the LP is URs though, not falls, and judging by the way her jumps looked on Thursday, she should be fine in the UR department (those jumps in the SP were gorgeous). But we shall see. I believe Mirai, Sasha, and Ashley are all attempting 6 triples in the FS, while Rachael is attempting 7. Ashley also has yet to do a 3 jump combination in the FS this year, but does have two sequences which will gain her more points than a 3-2. It will be interesting to see who comes out on top if they all go clean!:love:

Here's how I see things going into tonight, based on latest practice reports, etc.:

Mirai and Rachel are the favorites to make the Oly team. They hold their fate in their own hands, and have only themselves to blame if they slip up and it costs them the spot.

Ashley is in the driver's seat, and she doesn't know it (or maybe she does!). She skates first out of the four of them, and can put pressure on them with a huge, roof-blowing skate and a massive score to go with it. But she MUST be perfect- if not, she leaves the door wiiide open for the others to leave her behind for good.

Sasha? I don't have much faith in her doing a competitive LP after all these years away. But just the fact that she showed up amidst all this doubt and expectations- that's something to be proud of.

Myla

Rinkside
OMG, less than 3 hours to go!!

Ashley's practice today went well, according to what she wrote on her twitter. She cant wait to her long and lets see what she does. She needs to skate her best to have the chance to make the team.

Also, I really do want Sasha to skate her best, with clean jumps. Maybe it will be her last Nationals, and it would be just perfect if she goes well. Her programs at Nationals in 2002, just before the Olympics, were almost perfect, with no falls, I hope she can make it again.

I like Mirai also, hope she can do a perfect program tonight!

About Flatt, I dont know exactly, but I just dont like her programs. Her jumps are weird, the position she has in the air is strange. I dont know why. Her coreography doesnt excite me. I mean, her hand on the lips, her hand up and down all the time, her shaking shoulders are kind of way to show her lack of coreoghraphy. At least she seems to be having fun skating. Or maybe she does that just to impress the judges, like Plushenko does. Her spins are not so cool as Sasha's spins. I hope she doesnt make the team.

Frankly, IMO the best skater US have, technically and artistically speaking is Sasha. Its just awesome to watch her, I dont feel the same when I watch others. If shes perfect, she is the one who can bring an Olympic medal to the USA.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Frankly, IMO the best skater US have, technically and artistically speaking is Sasha. Its just awesome to watch her, I dont feel the same when I watch others. If shes perfect, she is the one who can bring an Olympic medal to the USA.

Artistically, yes. Technically, no way! Rachael, Mirai, and Ashley have better technique than Sasha. It doesn't really matter though so much as who lands the jumps tonight.

Myla

Rinkside
Mirai and Ashley, I agree with you...Ashley has a great technique, really!!
But Flatt?? I dont know if she's better than Sasha!!

Trewyn

Medalist

Not sure what you mean about Ashley not having done 3 jump combinations; she landed a triple flip-double toe-double toe at the GPF. But she hasn't done a 3-3 combination in competition since US Nationals 2008 I think :s. I miss Ashley's 3-3. It sort of saddens me that she's not attempting them here; especially now she's a couple points away from the team. But I guess it's not worth the risk. And if she executes her jumps well, the judges have always really rewarded her for it; so skating clean and perfect seems to be the best strategy instead of risking the 3-3...

I really hope Ashley kicks but in the LP and leaves some of the skaters that are ahead of her in the dust! I really, really want to see her live in Turin! And being the loving fan that I am, I would love to see her make that Olympic dream come true. She's worked so hard for it this season... I'm not sure I'm going to be able to watch it tonight; it's crazy in the middle of the night, and I'm not home but at my aunt's and I'm not sure it's fair to them and their kids to have me walking about the house so I can watch figure skating. Plus I'm entirely dependent on an online NBC stream, which is another factor of uncertainty that might just make it not worth it. Plus, I'd just die of stress.... So... it's a tough choice...

iceminx

On the Ice
webcast?

is there a webwast somewhere of the skaters NOT in the final flight? I want to see Caroline, Alissa, Bebe, and Melissa anyways...
If it starts at 4:00 but doesn't air final group until 7:00...

iceminx

On the Ice
:no:
Sasha has the total skating package - like Mirai and Alissa (althought Alissa's consistancy sucks...)
rachel bores me...

Mirai and Ashley, I agree with you...Ashley has a great technique, really!!
But Flatt?? I dont know if she's better than Sasha!!