Championship Ladies FS | Page 33 | Golden Skate

Championship Ladies FS

bekalc

Record Breaker
Alternates to the 2010 World team: Ashley Wagner, Sasha Cohen and Beatrisa Liang

2010 Four Continents team: Amanda Dobbs, Alexe Gilles and Caroline Zhang - Alternates: Melissa Bulanhagui and Becky Bereswill

I wonder why they didn't name Gao to the Four Continents team?

aurora100

Final Flight
These posts are scary..

Reading these posts here is scaring the BEJESUS out of me about what is going to happen at the Olympics. Regular folks are not going to understand or agree about the placements after all is counted and placed because the scoring system is so hard to understand or agree, even for avid watchers! With all the UR's TCP and PCS or whatever. How one is placed vs. how one looked on TV..etc. As the Canadian IOC member Dick Pound said "the figure skating will be a nightmare event at the Olympics". I love watching figure skating but I fear this is going to finish off whatever is left of figure skating as an Olympic Sport. It will be reduced to a spectator sport/entertainment Blades on Ice or Dance with Starts on Ice. :mad:

PS: Rachel Flatt deserved her first place.. Mirai deserved it to go to the Olympics. Gao was awesome. Wagner is overrated so are Zhang, Liang. I don't know why Cohen came back for gold medal (don't tell me she came back for another National title and she already has an Olympic silver) and not give herself enough time (like she should have returned last season) to train and be competitive...why bother? Or did she think she was so good, she can do it which would make her incredibly stupid which she doesn't seem to be from her sophisticated interviews:scratch:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Umm...Rachael is robotic. Hey, not taking away from her 483920482 AP classes. Good for her on that. But skating is skating, and her skating is robotic and lacking of beautiful lines/posture/positions whatsoever. Its like saying Caroline is flexible.

Hey, her 483920482 AP classes will get her into Stanford, which ranks483920482 higher than that Ag school in Ithaca.

What is with all the backhand compliment about Rachael and her AP classes?

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Sorry, I guess I was speaking out of turn and I already acknowledged that you have never been rude about Sasha and I certainly didn't mean to imply that. I was talking about others. All I meant is that it's just as difficult for me to understand why people vilify Sasha as it is for you to understand how harsh people are being about Flatt.

That said, I think people have every right to criticize Flatt's skating. Sasha's too. Not being a skater, I've learned a lot about Sasha's weaknesses from reading her critics on this forum. I still love her, of course, but it's good to have a deeper understanding of her skating, too.

It's not that hard to understand. Rachael Flatt is still a teenager. She can't even buy a pack of cigarrette. Sasha is an aging actress.
The vitriol on Rachael Flatt is really uncalled for.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I just finished watching it on HD, slomo all the jumps that I suspect would be close myself. Mirai flutzed, UR on the 2A-3T without slomo.

I couldn't catch the other 2 in real time, but after reading the official protocol, I went back and checked and yes, they are URed.

Mirai has a chronic problem with UR. Didn't she UR 3 times at Skate Canada? You can't fix something like that in a month.

Rachael is almost never dinged for UR. Her GOE is crappy for all her jumps. But someone once put up a chart of high spiral, high spin levels, etc... and Rachael always come out in the top tier. She just get them done, CoP style.

If the national event was judged by an international panel,

Rachael score would be slightly higher than her score at SA this year (120+)
Mirai would be lucky to break 110. She hasn't all season long.
Ashley would be in the low 100.

The final standing would still be the same with Rachael leading by a sizeable margin.

Rachael will make top 7 at the Olympics (after the asian gals, Joannie, Carolina if they are absolutely clean. She definitely has a chance of cracking the bronze.

Layfan

Record Breaker
It's not that hard to understand. Rachael Flatt is still a teenager. She can't even buy a pack of cigarrette. Sasha is an aging actress.
The vitriol on Rachael Flatt is really uncalled for.
As is the vitriol against Sasha. What has she ever done to you?

FlattFan

Match Penalty
You're right. Anybody would liked to be called an aging actress. Especially a 25-year-old woman.

With Sasha, it wasn't a big deal because she's much older when the vitriol started. People are ripping a 17 yo girl who just won her national title, for god's sake.

That's the point.

Layfan

Record Breaker
With Sasha, it wasn't a big deal because she's much older when the vitriol started. People are ripping a 17 yo girl who just won her national title, for god's sake.

That's the point.

Mmm. Yes, your logic is impeccable. When you're 25, let's see how much you like to be called "aging" and have people imply that it's no big deal to vilify you because you're old enough to buy a pack of cigarettes.

Last edited:

jennylovskt

Medalist
I felt bad for Sasha. She should have known better. But her beautiful skating is still unmatchable. I like Nagasu's skating better than any other current US ladies. (Can't say that I am a Nagasu fan.)

figuristka

Medalist
Have not seen any of this yet. I had my heart set on Sasha and Mirai for the Olympic team. Will have to find it on yt hopefully. I just do not enjoy Flatt's skating to be honest, no offence. Though as a Joannie fan i should be happy as i think Flatt is not in the same league as her.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congratulations to the podium finishers and to Rachael and Mirai for making the team. All three, Racheal, Mirai and Ashley were on like megawatts and shined. To skate well under pressure like that is very important. Also I was impressed with Christine G. Alexe Giles and Amanda Dobbs, they all seem to be heading in the right direction with their skating. Sasha had a rough skate but pushed through it. I knew after she skated that she made to many mistakes to be in the top three or to make the team. But hey she skated a wonderful SP and it was great to see that.

Last edited:

jesslily

Final Flight
I feel so bad for Sasha too. Her long program is not that well structured. She did not use the same stratigy as her short program to attack the performance. Both she and her coach looked very tired before and during the long program.

rtureck

Final Flight
I feel so bad for Sasha too. Her long program is not that well structured. She did not use the same stratigy as her short program to attack the performance. Both she and her coach looked very tired before and during the long program.

IMO choosing moonlight sonata is a risk and it did not pay. Moonlight sonata was one of G and G's signature piece. Cohen front loaded her program and was losing pts there, not to mention her lack of speed in everything and her awful jumps