Championship Ladies FS | Page 22 | Golden Skate

Championship Ladies FS

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
THE US should do the same as the japaneses federation althoug akiko finished second she will go to vancouver and 4CC and yukari instead will go to worlds(i hope) wit mao and miki
here probably they could put ashley in the world team?

They absolutely could. But Wagner and Nagasu were four points apart. Suzuki and Nakano were 0.17 points apart. Depends on the event how close/far four points is admittedly, but four points is an element.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Congratulations to Rachael and Mirai, and Ashley too.
I thought Mirai was easily the best and without doubt the most exciting

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I'm coming off like I don't want Wagner to go to Worlds. I think I prefer her to Nagasu, truth be told (though Nagasu's the better skater, I believe. Just a wierd personal preference)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Wow, what an event :clap: :clap:

Rachel finally gets her National title after two years of silver :rock: and Nagasu did an amazing job to grab silver and likely the second Vancouver spot. A big "take that" to everyone who told her to wait until Sochi. I knew she could pull it off if she just held it together. USFS- SEND Rachel and Mirai. They deserve it 110%

Ashley- Great freeskate but the short program deficit proved to be too much to overcome. A bit sad for her but at the same time, she's only 18 (19?). She should be proud of herself for fighting back and not be TOO down on herself for missing the team.

Sasha- You know, I have to hand it to her. I was doubtful she'd even show up, let alone skate both phases of the competition and she proved me wrong. She showed up and really gave it her best effort. Of course, the absence from competition really showed in her freeskate performance, and in this National field you cannot make those mistakes and hope to win or get to Olys. And the way she handled it at the end with Andrea Joyce- I have new respect for her now.

Hughes- she fought for it. A proud moment for her, I hope.

Gao- wow. What can I say? She could be the future IF her jumps hold. I see a lot of potential in her.

Zhang and Czisny... too bad :( a very forgettable competition for both of them, but especially for Czisny, being the defending champion.

That's about it for now...off to edit footage...

soogar

Record Breaker
I'm calling BS on this one. Mirai should've won the FS (and overall), the only triple that should've been questionable was that final 3T.

I am p!ssed. Sasha skated like sh!t and Mirai's jumps were mysteriously downgraded... it makes no sense to me because every jump of hers was landed smoothly. I think they decided to gift the most consistent skater with the national title. Rachel's jumps were okay- some forced landings- but her spin positions were awful.

I don't think I've ever been so upset about a competition in my life. It was as if Sasha was sleep falling throughout her program and I've never seen scores so obviously doctored as Mirai's. They should have downgraded her SP jumps because the SP and LP was the exact same quality.

Last edited:
M

mylastduchess

I'm sorry but Racheal won't have a chance at the podium at all yes she consistent but has no spark for me atleast.

miki88

Medalist
Surprised about Mirai's scores. Her jumps looked okay on tv. She definitely deserved much higher PCS than Flatt, who looked sloppy throughout.

magicalwords

On the Ice
Rather ticked off by Rachael's GOEs on her spins.. I mean, they're just not good!
I think Mirai should go to Olys but they might send Ashley instead of her and send Mirai to Worlds..

The best of the night was clearly Mirai, no matter what the protocol says.

dannyascii

On the Ice
I can't believe how close Rachael's PCS was to Mirai's! Rachael just looked so sloppy and flat... sorry, I just can't get excited about her skating.
Completely agree. Rachael is a very strong skater and her work ethic shows through in her programs. But she simple does not have the natural musicality that a lot of the top skaters like Mirai, Caroline, Sasha or Ashley do. I'm surprised that wasn't reflected more in the PCS.

Last edited:

Phoenix347

Final Flight
I have to say that Sasha earned much respect from me today. She was very gracious and said she had no regrets in her interview with the evil Joyce. They must have had a talk with Andrea... she kept the negative to a bare minimum. I think if she had started the come back about 7 months earlier and gone to TEB and SA, she might have been on the team. She really gave it all though...even in the fall, she really fought to stay upright but finally fell. Kudos for her trying to come back after 4 years.

Gymfan15

On the Ice
FYI everyone, NBCOlympics.com is going to be showing the team announcement live on the website. I imagine that will be in a little bit, and I'll post a link when I find it.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Good summary RD.

I see no reason not to send rachael and Mirai.
Ashley should be the 1st alternate

silverlake22

Record Breaker
THE US should do the same as the japaneses federation althoug akiko finished second she will go to vancouver and 4CC and yukari instead will go to worlds(i hope) wit mao and miki
here probably they could put ashley in the world team?

I think they probably will. I don't think they can begrudge a spot on the Olympic team for Mirai because her lead is substantial enough, 4 points. I do think Ashley will go to Worlds though, and I bet Ashley and Rachael will be able to get us three spots back (not that Mirai can't).

As for Jr. Worlds, Gao, Dobbs, and Zawadski? That would make the most since right? I mean unless Mirai doesn't go to worlds and they send her, and then like Alexe instead of Agnes because she is the next highest placing age eligble senior.

I was SO proud of Mirai, Christina, Rachael, and Ashley! Way to keep your cool under pressure! I thought Mirai should have won but it is Rachael's turn, 3 time US-silver medalist almost makes it seem like she will just never be good enough to win.

So sad for Alissa and Caroline, 10th and 11th place, that has got to hurt :no:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Good summary RD.

I see no reason not to send rachael and Mirai.
Ashley should be the 1st alternate

What, you don't think irritating you is a good enough reason? I thought it was. Now I have to rewrite my rules to posting on Golden Skate (pulls out typewriter).:p

heyang

Record Breaker
lo

I don't see the downgrades either. Crappy coverage NBC-they should have slo-moed it and showed where the UR's were. I thought Mirai was spectacular-to me Rachael less so-she seems sort of sloppy or something.

Overall, I thought the commentating did nothing to help skating. There was no effort at all to try to explain the scoring system.

Personally, I prefer Mirai vs Rachel. It's just a personal preference although I do recognize that Rachel is a very consistent competitor, in a good way. It's something about Rachel's general posture - not as bad as Sarah Hughes, but I see a schlump in the shoulders. JMHO.

As for Sasha, I hope the committee does not consider her for a spot. Scott said that she would have to skate clean to compete against the higher potential scores of the other ladies. Her inability to skate a less technical free skate and her 'winning' Oly silver in 2006 with a highly flawed free skate and her not having skated a clean free program in competition in years, etc does NOT lend a lot of confidence in sending her to skate in Vancouver.

Last edited:

LeCygne

Final Flight
Anyone think NBC didn't show much K&C slow motion on purpose?? Mirai's jumps were better than they've ever been, I really can't understand 3 downgrades.. I think she should have won. Rachael's skating is just so sloppy and blehh, not to mention that awful second spin with the attempted I-spin positions.. There's no way she beat Mirai by almost 20 points.

I definitely think USFSA was gifting Rachael the title.. After all those silvers and clean performances, now she's a senior in high school. She's going to take her best shot at the Olympics and go on to college next year, so she might as well have a National title for being the most consistent US skater in a long while.

katymay

Medalist
I'm also calling BS on this one. I just slow moed it, and it was no more under rotated then Flatts jumps. (1/4). I rather wonder about something-there seems to be some bad blood between Frank and the judges due to some recent Brennan articles. Could this have affected Mirai's score?
And to NBC: Shame on you for not managing to interview Mirai-AGAIN. Or Ashley for that matter. Or not showing the supposed UR's of Mirai's.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I actually thought Mirai did enough to win, but I guess the downgrades cost her the title. I couldn't spot them immediately though.