Championship Ladies FS | Page 25 | Golden Skate

Championship Ladies FS

Layfan

Record Breaker
Wow, what an event :clap: :clap:

Rachel finally gets her National title after two years of silver :rock: and Nagasu did an amazing job to grab silver and likely the second Vancouver spot. A big "take that" to everyone who told her to wait until Sochi. I knew she could pull it off if she just held it together. USFS- SEND Rachel and Mirai. They deserve it 110%

Ashley- Great freeskate but the short program deficit proved to be too much to overcome. A bit sad for her but at the same time, she's only 18 (19?). She should be proud of herself for fighting back and not be TOO down on herself for missing the team.

Sasha- You know, I have to hand it to her. I was doubtful she'd even show up, let alone skate both phases of the competition and she proved me wrong. She showed up and really gave it her best effort. Of course, the absence from competition really showed in her freeskate performance, and in this National field you cannot make those mistakes and hope to win or get to Olys. And the way she handled it at the end with Andrea Joyce- I have new respect for her now.

Hughes- she fought for it. A proud moment for her, I hope.

Gao- wow. What can I say? She could be the future IF her jumps hold. I see a lot of potential in her.

Zhang and Czisny... too bad :( a very forgettable competition for both of them, but especially for Czisny, being the defending champion.

That's about it for now...off to edit footage...

I've never known Sasha to be ungracious in victory or defeat so I'm not surprised at all and I've never understood why people demonize her so much. But I'm glad she earned your respect. She was very brave not to give up last fall when she was struggling. I'm bummed she didn't do better but it was a lot to ask of herself to comeback after four years off and have nationals be her first competition. She certainly didn't diminish herself at all in my view.

Phoenix347

Final Flight
I think Flatt versus Nagasu is what the general audience finds confounding about Code of Points. I'm certain that most of the general audience found Mirai's free skate better than Flatt's.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Guys, Flatt's performance was 12 points better, not 20. Slight difference.

janetfan, the water comes from a lovely glacier. But it's a 6.0 glacier, and you know how unclear the impurities in it are. I plan on switching soon.

I want to buy some of your water. I need it badly :)

Layfan

Record Breaker
Anybody else impressed with Ashley tonight?

I thought her LP really :rock:

Yes, absolutely loved it. She has won me over. As I've said, she'll have her day. Wonder what would have happened if she hadn't fallen in the SP. She'd prolly be on the team.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I think Flatt versus Nagasu is what the general audience finds confounding about Code of Points. I'm certain that most of the general audience found Mirai's free skate better than Flatt's.

I found Mirai's SP about 10 points better and also found her LP better.

Maybe I have too much 6.0 blood in me

ks777

Record Breaker
It's funny when someone compares Flatt to Sarah Hughes. Yes Sarah didn't have Sasha's postures but her layback, camel, spiral were one of the best in the world. On the other hand, Rachel's spins and spiral were one of the worst.

Figure88

On the Ice
Imagine if they gave it to Wagner and Nagasu. That would be awesome.

Are you kidding? Wagner 2-foots most of her jumps. The spots should go to Mirai and Rachael. Wagner is a nice girl, but she really needs to work on her consistency. She's only in her teens so she can probably try again in 4 yrs.

Phoenix347

Final Flight
Universal Sport's rebroadcast of the SP has a nice feature called "Truth Booth" where the skaters talk about their performances. It's very informative.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Figure88, yes - I was kidding. I'm just enjoying being a joker in this thread as the Golden Skate hordes engage in another session of flaying the judges alive.

ETA: I'll join in during the Olympics - I don't have much of a horse in this race. I like Flatt, obviously, and seeing her get ripped to shreds isn't fun, but eh - it's the internet.

I'm stunned that Rachael beat Mirai. I thought Mirai was perfection and the salvation of US figure skating! She was thrilling! I think the whole stadium fell madly in love.

I have NO problem with Sasha losing to Mirai. The idea that Rachael is superior to Sasha, Mirai, and Ashley? No way. :banging: She's a COP skater and a workhorse. Sorry, that's not good enough.

No, Sasha couldn't do the job. :cry: But dang! she fought for those landings. I just wish she could have started her comeback last fall as planned so all her Olympic hopes wouldn't come down to her first two skates. I'm very proud of her for fighting her way back to this level. I hope she has a few more competitions in her but whatever she decides - :bow: :clap: :love: :rock: She will always be La Exquisita and La Tigresita for me.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Anybody else impressed with Ashley tonight?

I thought her LP really :rock:
Sorry Janetfan, I am not impressed with Ashely's skating....she is just so jerky. I feel very uneasy when I watch her skate.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I have to wait another 15 min. to see this,so can't really comment on the skating yet. But I can attest to the tastiness of our Canadian water..especially here on the west coast...:biggrin: ...It's also in the air.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Mirai will go to Vancouver but I think she deserved the title.

Her skating is so much more refined and elegant than Rachael's.

But maybe my grandpa eyes are too old see all of these urs.
I also missed all the high pcs Rachael scored too ;)

She BETTER go. When do we find out for sure? I want her to go to Worlds too but I'd be ok with Ashley going. I really wish it was Mirai and Ashley going to Vancouver but Rachael has showed us time and again she will always land her jumps, her hard work has paid off so I'm happy for her too.

Too bad about Czisny and Zhang, I didn't think they'd end up THAT low. I loved Christina too even though she had a few mistakes, her 3t-3t and 3lz-2t-2lo were amazing and she just reminds me so much of Yuna at 14/15. I can't wait to see her at junior worlds!

reynycpr

On the Ice
Yes, absolutely loved it. She has won me over. As I've said, she'll have her day. Wonder what would have happened if she hadn't fallen in the SP. She'd prolly be on the team.

With only a 4.08 difference between her and 2nd, even with the fall in the SP, if she hadn't 2-footed those 2 jumps in the LP, she may have received a tad bit higher PCS marks (for a truly clean performance) and maybe some bonus in GOE in her TES marks...it would have been even closer. But I agree... wish she had the Lutz back. :no:

miki88

Medalist
If Flatt manages to make an upset and medals at the Olympics, I will lose all hope in CoP.~~~

I don't understand all the hype for Christina Gao. Her jumps are good but I feel her movements are kinda awkward. There is a lack of fluidy that was seen in Michelle and Mao when they were at that age.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
I'm stunned that Rachael beat Mirai. I thought Mirai was perfection and the salvation of US figure skating! She was thrilling! I think the whole stadium fell madly in love.

I have NO problem with Sasha losing to Mirai. The idea that Rachael is superior to Sasha, Mirai, and Ashley? No way. :banging: She's a COP skater and a workhorse. Sorry, that's not good enough.

No, Sasha couldn't do the job. :cry: But dang! she fought for those landings. I just wish she could have started her comeback last fall as planned so all her Olympic hopes wouldn't come down to her first two skates. I'm very proud of her for fighting her way back to this level. I hope she has a few more competitions in her but whatever she decides - :bow: :clap: :love: :rock: She will always be La Exquisita and La Tigresita for me.

That sums it up pretty well for me Spun.
I am still glad I got to see Sasha compete again though.
I am mad about the scores though and Mirai's skating really gave me a thrill tonight