Championship Ladies FS | Page 26 | Golden Skate

Championship Ladies FS

janetfan

Match Penalty
She BETTER go. When do we find out for sure? I want her to go to Worlds too but I'd be ok with Ashley going. I really wish it was Mirai and Ashley going to Vancouver but Rachael has showed us time and again she will always land her jumps, her hard work has paid off so I'm happy for her too.

Too bad about Czisny and Zhang, I didn't think they'd end up THAT low. I loved Christina too even though she had a few mistakes, her 3t-3t and 3lz-2t-2lo were amazing and she just reminds me so much of Yuna at 14/15. I can't wait to see her at junior worlds!

I loved Christina tonight and was watching with friends who are not into skating. There favorites were Mirai and Christina

ks777

Record Breaker
If Flatt manages to make an upset and medals at the Olympics, I will lose all hope in CoP.~~~

yep. that's like Mira Leung winning a medal. she is just consistant with her jumps. I never saw anything special about her skating.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow, what an event :clap: :clap:
Sasha- You know, I have to hand it to her. And the way she handled it at the end with Andrea Joyce- I have new respect for her now.
RD, that's the respect I have always had for Sasha. I think it took lots of courage to go to Nationals, I give her so much credit for doing it.

Thanks for saying what you did about her.

Dark-Eyes

Rinkside
I feel more uneasy when I watch Rachael skate. In fact I take a kitchen break ;)
Gotta agree with this, although Ashley has her problems too. Figure Skating in the US is in a sad state at the moment. Super sad about Sasha's skate. I doubt I'll even watch the ladies skate at the Olympics. Definitely looking forward to the guys, though.

Rachael's technique on anything but jumps is so bad that there is no excuse for the judges giving her those scores. She'll be eaten alive at the Olympics, no matter how "consistent" she is. I'm embarrassed for our country and the ridiculous scoring. Is it the fault of the CoP, or just our stupid judges? Why even bother having spirals, spins, and transitions in programs if we are going to completely discount their quality in favor of landing jumps? Ugh.

Mirai easily won that championship, and is the only hope we have at the Olympics. I thought she'd crumble under pressure and she didn't. Kudos to her for a great skate.

Overall I'm just :banging::banging::banging:

Last edited:

Moxie

On the Ice
Mirai easily won that championship, and is the only hope we have at the Olympics. I thought she'd crumble under pressure and she didn't. Kudos to her for a great skate.

The silver lining is that she doesn't have to Vancouver with the pressure of being the premiere US lady.

If Flatt manages to make an upset and medals at the Olympics, I will lose all hope in CoP.~~~
That's my biggest fear at these Olympics and if it happens I hope it will be a major wakeup call. Flatt will never be America's sweetheart, that's for sure... unless maybe she whacks Mirai. :sheesh:

OK, that's my last mean comment about Rachael until after the Olympics. I hope she doesn't make the podium, but I hope she does her best and represents the USA well.

Of course, I hope Mirai wins and gets contracts with Clairol, Target, the Gap, and Revlon. ;)

cornell08

Final Flight
The problem (one of many) is that there is no consistency in scoring, at least justifiably. Ashley had more shaky landings than Mirai imo but her score for the FS was higher in the areas where Mirai performed better. Rachael's slow speed somehow did not deter her absurd PCS. There was inconsistency for the SP too...USFSA is going to get alot of angry emails.

R.D.

Record Breaker
RD, that's the respect I have always had for Sasha. I think it took lots of courage to go to Nationals, I give her so much credit for doing it.

Thanks for saying what you did about her.

I may have been tough on her (verbally) but I NEVER hated or despised her, despite what her fans said earlier.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker

It's nice she finally won her title, but I think she should have won it last year. She actually deserved to win it last year whereas this year Mirai totally should have won. Mirai and Christina are absolutely stunning and have the potential to be world champions some day I hope. Mirai has also grown up beautifully and shown that tonight. She doesn't look like a little girl anymore, she doesn't act like a little girl anymore, and she doesn't deal with pressure like a little girl anymore: She was in 1st, she knew Ashley and Rachael had done well, she went out there, landed every jump, skated with emotion, maturity, and joy, and didn't make snarky remarks when she found out she was in 2nd. She is such a lovely skater and appears to be a lovely person too, good job Frank!

R.D.

Record Breaker
I can't believe what people are saying about Flatt. Damn, I really hope she just goes out and knocks 'em dead at Olys. And who knows...if the stars are aligned that night...just MAYBE a dark horse for the bronze medal??? :rock:

aftertherain

Record Breaker
That's my biggest fear at these Olympics and if it happens I hope it will be a major wakeup call. Flatt will never be America's sweetheart, that's for sure... unless maybe she whacks Mirai. :sheesh:

Then wouldn't that make Mirai the sweetheart?

Anyway, I'm still waiting for FS to start in California. Ugh. One minute!

janetfan

Match Penalty
It's nice she finally won her title, but I think she should have won it last year. She actually deserved to win it last year whereas this year Mirai totally should have won. Mirai and Christina are absolutely stunning and have the potential to be world champions some day I hope. Mirai has also grown up beautifully and shown that tonight. She doesn't look like a little girl anymore, she doesn't act like a little girl anymore, and she doesn't deal with pressure like a little girl anymore: She was in 1st, she knew Ashley and Rachael had done well, she went out there, landed every jump, skated with emotion, maturity, and joy, and didn't make snarky remarks when she found out she was in 2nd. She is such a lovely skater and appears to be a lovely person too, good job Frank!

Nice post silverlake. :)

millie

Medalist
Flatt may be a genius, but she sure looked stupid tonight. Why did she have to be on that phone, instead of talking to the media.. Sasha was graceful right to the end. She didn't run and hide tonight, she stayed behind and congratulated the girls and talked to the media. Flatt won't get a look in at the Olympics.

Gymfan15

On the Ice
Yeah, I don't really see how Ashley had a better FS than Mirai; some of Ashely's jumps were stiff and messy. Mirai was a much better package; her jumps LOOKED great but I guess the tech caller was just being very harsh with her!

All in all, I'm not crying because Mirai didn't win. I thought she would; hoped she would, but all in all you have to have perspective on things. All things considered, it's such a special thing that Mirai was able to keep it together and win silver, and probably go to the Olympics. She's been so smart during the last year; being very realistic about things and setting Sochi as her long term goal. Vancouver is just a bonus; a very special bonus.

She may be in a UR rut that might be hard to get out of, but I've no doubt that if she sticks it out the next four years, she could do some really great things. I think she has the potential to be a public favorite, because she just exudes emotion.

My family doesn't follow skating in the slightest, but they all loved Mirai because she was so cheerful and outgoing. That's the kind of skater people LOVE. Rachael is cute, but she doesn't grab people in the same way.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Flatt won't be America's Sweetheart if she medals? Yes, because being cute, articulate, energetic, intelligent and having a great underdog story doesn't endear people to you at all. People say she's nothing but jumps, but I urge you to watch her short program again. When does she get her biggest applause? The step sequence - at Skate America and here at Nationals. She absolutely nails the flapper/20's waif there, and it's one of my favourite moments of the season.

Flatt's definitely a COP skater - backloading her programs to get the bonus points, fully rotating her triples to make sure they count, ticking of the "level 3/4" boxes with regards to spins. But I just don't see how she can be boring. I think she's got loads of personality and there's no one better to be America's Sweetheart.

Whatever - I'm rooting for Flatt all the way. Hopefully she does very well at her first Olympics and 2nd worlds.