Championship Ladies FS | Page 27 | Golden Skate

Championship Ladies FS

kandidy

Final Flight
Flatt may be a genius, but she sure looked stupid tonight. Why did she have to be on that phone, instead of talking to the media.. Sasha was graceful right to the end. She didn't run and hide tonight, she stayed behind and congratulated the girls and talked to the media. Flatt won't get a look in at the Olympics.

Rachael probably texting with her parents? They are still kids.

Sasha , I think she probably accomplished her goal and her journey. She prepared herself already about the outcome I guess, that's why she looked so calm from the beginning till the end.

DragonPhoenix

On the Ice
I just got through watching the LP's, and I just can't believe Mirai is not the champion. Mirai was incredible !!! :rock::rock::rock:

She had spark, she was on fire, nice costume, beautiful artistry, great jumps, interesting choreography, wonderful smile. Everything was there. I loved this performance !!!

Congratulations to all the medalists but I don't agree with how they placed this.

I also really enjoyed Ashley Wagner, she has improved so much, and I love her program too.

And I also really enjoyed Sasha, she was very brave to go out there after such a long time. She has unique qualities that few skaters have.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I can't believe what people are saying about Flatt. Damn, I really hope she just goes out and knocks 'em dead at Olys. And who knows...if the stars are aligned that night...just MAYBE a dark horse for the bronze medal??? :rock:

You are right and we should be nicer and better sports.
I think older fans can see how far US Ladies have fallen to have a champion who is not so graceful or elegant,

I will pull it together by tomorrow and intend to support Rachael all the way to vancouver. She is a terrific girl and a great competitor.

I just can't see anything too exciting about her skating

cornell08

Final Flight
Oh wow so you guys haven't seen the performances yet? The great state of California is going to explode with indignation at the scoring.

I think Ashley is a beautiful skater and awesome girl but I would send Mirai instead of her because Mirai has now shown she can put together TWO solid programs, which continues to elude Ashley. We should remember her 'strong international season' was based on at least one bad skate-- usually SP, and convenient performances by ladies less competitive than in the other GP assignments.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Nice post silverlake. :)

Thanks :). I might have to create a not-so-nice post if they fail to put Mirai on the Olympic team though. Worlds, she should go but I'm down with Ashley going instead. WHEN will we know?

Also I can't wait to see what Christina does in these next few years once she grows up and comes into her own. She is awesome!:love:

Missed Angela Maxwell out there :frown:, judging by the skating of Alissa, Caroline, and Sasha, she could have been 4th and gotten to take home that pewter medal :)

I really really really hope so... They offered the spot to I/B when the results were really close...

Did they? Do we have any source for that besides the so-called quotes from John that appeared in the Orange County paper?

Two spots for Worlds, and I expect both Nagasu and Flatt to RSVP for that too. It's not close enough (like the pairs) to for the FED to split the ticket.

I think they will offer Worlds to Rachael and Mirai. It is possible that Rachael might turn it down, though. IIRC Ashley already said she did not want to be considered for Four Continents (not sure about this).

miki88

Medalist
My problem with Flatt winning is that although she is consistent, she is not elegant nor refined in her skating which I thought is a quite important aspect of figure skating. I feel CoP is rewinding the clock for figure skating. The results are just as confusing as those during the era of compulsive figures, where wonderful skaters like Janet Lynn were beaten by skaters who were better at doing figures. And you wonder why figure skating is no longer popular with the general audience. Jumps are important but so is overall presentation (and in my opinion, more so because figure skating is a performance sport).

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Yeah, I keep hearing that COP is rewinding the clock for figure skating, though I don't agree and think most of the explanations aren't fair to the sport, the rules or the skaters. But that's another time.

Rachael is certainly a marvelous competitor. She's a steady, steely, thorough skater, though she certainly doesn't have any of the exquisite posture or positions that people like Nagasu and Cohen have. Her spiral is very ordinary, for example. She earned her place on the Olympic team, though, and I'll be happy to cheer her on, along with Nagasu, who I assume will be the other Olympic team member. Hope they also go to Worlds so we have a ghost of a chance to earn three places for next year!

Amazing to think that the U.S. has a better chance of medaling in ice dancing than in ladies singles, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

As for Mirai coming in second because of jump downgrades, well, that's the way international judges have been marking things for the past few years, so it's something Mirai must accept and deal with. If she can't surmount that problem, she'll be another skating casualty from the U.S. flock.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Does anyone know what time the team announcement is supposed to be?

ON another forum someone said they thought at 1:00AM but not sure.

I'm proud of Sasha for getting back in the ring and battling it out with athletes so much younger than she-4th is not too bad for an old gal amongst all the new kids on the block! Sigh-if only she'd stood those jumps up. She clearly was not match tough. Physically she is in great condition. But all that aside-

Sasha's artistry was to die for, head and shoulders over everyone else imo and that GORGEOUS dress! I loved it! Her hair so elegant in a golden hair net.

I'm glad Sasha came back to light a fire in these young skaters-I'm sure she put a good scare into them and they each took it up a notch. Sasha was close-very close at 2nd place in the SP. 4th is nothing to be ashamed of at this level. I can only imagine how much better she would have been had she not been injured and had more time to train-or better yet if she had considered this at least a couple of years ago. But it's done.

BRAVA SASHA! BRAVA!! :clap::rock:

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
My problem with Flatt winning is that although she is consistent, she is not elegant nor refined in her skating which I thought is a quite important aspect of figure skating. I feel CoP is rewinding the clock for figure skating. The results are just as confusing as those during the era of compulsive figures, where wonderful skaters like Janet Lynn were beaten by skaters who were better at doing figures. And you wonder why figure skating is no longer popular with the general audience. Jumps are important but so is overall presentation (and in my opinion, more so because figure skating is a performance sport).

Bravo - my thoughts exactly.
Mirai was just so great for me tonight and her skating is the reason I am a skating fan.

Rachael is certainly a marvelous competitor. She's a steady, steely, thorough skater, though she doesn't have any of the exquisite posture or positions that people like Nagasu and Cohen have. Her spiral is very ordinary, for example. She earned her place on the Olympic team, though, and I'll be happy to cheer her on, along with Nagasu, who I assume will be the other Olympic team member. Hope they also go to Worlds so we have a ghost of a chance to earn three places for next year!

Amazing to think that the U.S. has a better chance of medaling in ice dancing than in ladies singles, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

As for Mirai coming in second because of jump downgrades, well, that's the way international judges have been marking things for the past few years, so it's something Mirai must accept and deal with. If she can't surmount that problem, she'll be another skating casualty from the U.S. flock.

And, really, that would be too bad. As you said, Miki88, jumps are only a part of skating, and most people would be bewildered that Rachael beat Mirai after what they saw tonight.

Last edited:

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Bravo - my thoughts exactly.
Mirai was just so great for me tonight and her skating is the reason I am a skating fan.

To me Mirai was the champ tonight. COP isn't going to change my mind on that. She was the best overall. Rachael just does not have the whole package.

Gymfan15

On the Ice
ON another forum someone said they thought at 1:00AM but not sure.

Mmm, must be sooner than that because NBCOlympics just s tarted the live feed. Nothings happening yet though. For a few seconds they showed Sasha doing photos and answering questions, and then now it's just showing the press room with people waiting for the thing to start. I don't think all those people would be there if it didn't start for another hour.

kandidy

Final Flight
What took them so long to announce. Rachael win fair and square although I doubt I will watch her replay perfomance ever again.
It must be the first and the second to Olympics and Ashley as substitute.

World should be Rachael and Mirai and Sasha as substitute.

rtureck

Final Flight
Then we have no hope in the ladies, you all are fools if you think these young ladies are going to go to the Olympics and all of a sudden be able to hang in there with the other skaters. They had 2-3 years to do it and haven't yet, which is why we only have 2 spots

Maybe if Sasha wasn't so busy trying out Hollywood and competed in the past few yrs instead, then US would have 3 spots. Anyway the gold and silver medalists won fair and square they are going to the olympics whether they can hang in there with the other skaters or not.