Page 47 of 64 FirstFirst ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ... LastLast

Thread: Championship Ladies FS

Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    And please, don't try to convince me that you know more about skating than Scott.
    When did I say I did?

Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post
    When did I say I did?
    That was just in case you ever do say it

It was clear who the TV audience and crowd in attendance thought the winner was.
    For the good of skating this is a problem that needs to be addressed.

Without taking sides it is clear the majority thought Mirai won. If Rachael really did win then it shoudn't be such a mystery or only understandable by the same few posters here who are willing to justify CoP to the death,

I think the tech panel gave Rachael that title last night and a problem is that most viewers thought Mirai won.

That is not a good formula for keeping a sport healthy.

Custom Title
    Having a history of downgrades doesn't mean that reflects the quality of the jumps she had performed at nationals. NBC didn't show slow motion but her landings looked good unless she prerotates her jumps the cheats weren't apparent on the landings.

I think that since Sasha was out of the mix, the USFS wanted to send their most consistent girl with the National title and a big score. They know Rachel will put it down at the Olympics and Worlds so if she goes in with a National title maybe she well get a little more regard from the judges.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MKFSfan View Post
    By contrast, Ashley, Rachael and Mirai brought it. They completely delivered under pressure, fought through their programs AND performed! That was amazing to see. Gao was also very impressive.
    Well, even though I am not convinced the final outcome was correct, I am so happy with the way those three girls delivered last night. U.S. nationals was absolutely the best women's competition of the season for me because of Ashley, Rachael and Mirai. (the rest of the girls gave us a splatfest.) I really enjoyed seeing how all three of those girls improved all season long. Knowing that there were only two spots for the Olympics _ and that Sasha could be a threat _ clearly pushed them hard and it really showed. I was stunned by the improved maturity in Mirai's skating. Even more, I was stunned that she delivered so forcefully skating last and after Rachael and Ashley laid it down. She has turned into a true champion. The best part about Ashley is that she does nothing badly. Every aspect of her skating is lovely to watch. And she has become so mentally tough. As for Rachael, she is simply not a favorite of mine but I have to admit that when I watch her land all her jumps I think, geez what is this girl MADE OF? I thought it was wonderful that the three U.S. medalists gave near-perfect LPs last night.

Sasha - I was bummed that her program was so mediocre. She wasn't ready. But her SP was awesome. And had she not tried this, she would have always wondered, what if? I still love her and there really is nothing more to say about Sasha and her comeback attempt.

Alissa. Even with her known tendency to flounder, I cannot believe she splatted her way down to 10th place. I guess she is simply incapable of skating under pressure. Ugh. Well, maybe next year when once again no one will expect anything from her she'll deliver another beautiful performance. Sigh.

That was just in case you ever do say it

It was clear who the TV audience and crowd in attendance thought the winner was.
    For the good of skating this is a problem that needs to be addressed.

Without taking sides it is clear the majority thought Mirai won. If Rachael really did win then it shoudn't be such a mystery or only understandable by the same few posters here who are willing to justify CoP to the death,

I think the tech panel gave Rachael that title last night and a problem is that most viewers thought Mirai won.

That is not a good formula for keeping a sport healthy.
    But you already have taken sides - Mirai's. I have nothing invested in who won or was going to the Olympics. If NBC had done what I suggested - mention Mirai's history of under-rotation calls and show the slo mos on replay - a lot of this would have been avoided. Either way Rachael attempted and landed one more triple than Mirai and got higher TES. Mirai was a bit higher on the PCS.

If you think the tech panel gave her the win - wouldn't you say that they handed Sasha second spot after the short when they ignored her flutz, two footed landing, and underrotation?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Trewyn View Post
    ^^Syliva reported it's going to be Ashley, Gao and Zawadzki...
    Ashley has to go to Jr. Worlds again? Poor girl. She must be upset. So pumped for Gao though, I bet she'll beat Kanako and Polina

Down With It
    Nagasu- WAY to show everyone who told you to wait until 2014 for your chance...no, your chance is NOW

Flatt- did really well, but I did think her LP lacked the flair of Nagasu's. I guess that's the Cop for you, but she did earn it.

Wagner- too bad. If we had a third spot she'd be on her way to Vancouver. Alas, she must stay home. It was the short that really did her in...At least she is the first alternate, though.

Custom Title
    Okay, so people can fight about placement all they want but in the end, does it really matter that Rachael was first and Mirai second if both of them are going to the Olympics and Worlds anyways?

I mean last year, yeah, Rachael should have won, and this year, yeah, Mirai should have won. But I mean is it so bad that USFSA wanted Alissa to be a national champion last year and Rachael this year? Alissa and Rachael are both very dedicated and hard working, and in the case of last year and this year, it could have gone either way, maybe should have gone in the way it didn't go, but it still is fair enough. Mirai already has a national title and Rachael hasn't, Rachael landed more jumps than Mirai. Mirai was a lot better but I do think the 2a-3t downgrade was fair (not so much the other two), but even so, she got a 118+ for her 3 triple FS which obviously means she got deserved big GOEs on her spins, spirals, footwork, and the jumps she did land well. They are both going to the Olympics and worlds they are the two to deserve to go so that's really all that matters.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cornell08 View Post
    Yeah but shouldn't Mirai's PCS be much higher? And Rachael's TES be closer to Mirai's (even with the 3 downgrades?). The 3-3 wasn't even clean.
    Spins
    Flatt - Base Value: 9.10, cumulative GOE: 0.86, TES = 9.96
    Nagasu - Base Value: 9.20, cumulative GOE: 2.43, TES = 11.63

Spiral Sequence
    Flatt - Base Value: 3.40, cumultative GOE: 0.71, TES = 4.11
    Nagasu - Base Value: 3.40, cumulative GOE: 1.57, TES = 5.17

Steps
    Flatt - Base Value: 3.30, cumulative GOE: 0.79, TES = 4.09
    Nagasu - Base Value: 3.30, cumulative GOE: 0.57, TES = 3.87

Jumps
    Flatt - Base Value: 46.61, cumulative GOE: 4.28 , TES = 50.89
    Nagasu - Base Value: 33.75, cumulative GOE: 2.72, TES = 36.47

The TES comes from the fact that the downgrades are huge drops. Flatt also backloaded her program a bit more and got those bonuses. It's worth mentioning that in terms of cumulative GOE, they were quite close. Flatt got 6.64 points from GOE; Nagasu got 7.29 (Wagner, comparatively got only 2.19). Flatt's entire advantage came from the fact that she fully rotated her jumps and kept her base level up. Flatt beat Nagasu by 12.04 points in the Free Skate. Her base value was 12.86 points higher. Flatt did get a -GOE on her triple-triple.

So basically, Nagasu got points for what she did well, was docked for where she lacked. Flatt's weaknesses aren't as considerable (in COP terms). So I think the judges got this right (the system, on the other hand.... )

Down With It
    You raise a point, but this year Flatt won and many folks are up in arms. There is no guarantee that the same wouldn't have happened had she won last year as well (granted, Czisny put down a less than inspiring freeskate, unlike Nagasu this year)...but there has been a good amount of negativity thrown Rachel's way the past couple years.

Anyway, continuing with my "after I had some time to think about it" thoughts about the FS

Czisny- I really thought she'd pull it together after that disastrous short. she had NOTHING to lose at this point. Unfortunately her inconsistencies continue.

Zhang- not much to say about her, except that I seriously think that if she does not make a major move soon, it's the end for her competitively.

Cohen- There are two MAJOR factors that worked against her here: a) the timing of her choice to return to competition and b) lack of preparation due to injuries, setbacks, etc. One month is just not quite enough to be at the performance level necessary to compete with the best. Still, I have to say I'm impressed with her going for it and not withdrawing, as it was clear that she probably should have (the FS was nothing like the usual her).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Ashley has to go to Jr. Worlds again? Poor girl. She must be upset. So pumped for Gao though, I bet she'll beat Kanako and Polina
    Yeah, poor girl! I really don't understand why the USFSA didn't chose to send Ashley to Worlds; she earned it! They should encourage their skaters to do well in the GP by rewarding Ashley for her great season; the Nats results were close enough for that decision to be warranted.

For me personally; I'm glad that even though I'll be in Turin and Ashley probably won't be; I'll at least see her the week before in The Hague (of all places! so near!).

Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    My thoughts on Nationals

Mirai - Way to go! Performance was wonderful! Everything looked great and I thought she had won, shocked that she didn't. Your future is now!

Rachel - Great jumps, very COP friendly program but I honestly believe she was overscored. The artistry is not there for me. Amazing consistency though.

Ashley - Awesome, Awesome skate! Damn short program!

Sasha - You gave a brave skate, I was happy to see that you went out and attempted everything in your program, no doubles or comming apart, you fought and kept going and that was the demon I think you needed to beat. And even with the jumps that program was beautiful.

Christina - you remind me of Michelle Kwan at the 95 worlds. Stocci here you come!

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Spins
    Flatt - Base Value: 9.10, cumulative GOE: 0.86, TES = 9.96
    Nagasu - Base Value: 9.20, cumulative GOE: 2.43, TES = 11.63

Spiral Sequence
    Flatt - Base Value: 3.40, cumultative GOE: 0.71, TES = 4.11
    Nagasu - Base Value: 3.40, cumulative GOE: 1.57, TES = 5.17

Steps
    Flatt - Base Value: 3.30, cumulative GOE: 0.79, TES = 4.09
    Nagasu - Base Value: 3.30, cumulative GOE: 0.57, TES = 3.87

Jumps
    Flatt - Base Value: 46.61, cumulative GOE: 4.28 , TES = 50.89
    Nagasu - Base Value: 33.75, cumulative GOE: 2.72, TES = 36.47

The TES comes from the fact that the downgrades are huge drops. Flatt also backloaded her program a bit more and got those bonuses. It's worth mentioning that in terms of cumulative GOE, they were quite close. Flatt got 6.64 points from GOE; Nagasu got 7.29 (Wagner, comparatively got only 2.19). Flatt's entire advantage came from the fact that she fully rotated her jumps and kept her base level up. Flatt beat Nagasu by 12.04 points in the Free Skate. Her base value was 12.86 points higher. Flatt did get a -GOE on her triple-triple.

So basically, Nagasu got points for what she did well, was docked for where she lacked. Flatt's weaknesses aren't as considerable (in COP terms). So I think the judges got this right (the system, on the other hand.... )
    Thanks for your post.
    Aside from opinions of fans........it makes sense to look at this the way CoP is scoring it and the numbers don't lie.

My problem might lie with the fact that there are statements that the ur calls were not only questionable but harsh.

It is what it is and sorry for remarks I made that were over the top.

One way to look at this is that Mirai will be going to Vancouver and her fans should be happy to see her skate at the Olympics.

If she works hard in the next year or so it is possible for her to correct a few technical problems. Much of her skating, for me atleast is just so enjoyable.

Thanks again for posting the numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Trewyn View Post
    Yeah, poor girl! I really don't understand why the USFSA didn't chose to send Ashley to Worlds; she earned it! They should encourage their skaters to do well in the GP by rewarding Ashley for her great season; the Nats results were close enough for that decision to be warranted.

For me personally; I'm glad that even though I'll be in Turin and Ashley probably won't be; I'll at least see her the week before in The Hague (of all places! so near!).
    I feel bad for Ashley too and I thought she skated wonderfully last night. But why should Mirai or Rachael be left off the world team? Mirai has never gone and Rachael has never medaled. They deserve that chance and they need the experience.

Thanks for your post.
    Aside from opinions of fans........it makes sense to look at this the way CoP is scoring it and the numbers don't lie.

My problem might lie with the fact that there are statements that the ur calls were not only questionable but harsh.

It is what it is and sorry for remarks I made that were over the top.

One way to look at this is that Mirai will be going to Vancouver and her fans should be happy to see her skate at the Olympics.

If she works hard in the next year or so it is possible for her to correct a few technical problems. Much of her skating, for me atleast is just so enjoyable.

Thanks again for posting the numbers.

Where do you guys get these numbers. I can never seem to find them. I'd be interested to see the PCS. I'm one of those people who doesn't understand why Rachael's are so high. Underrotations ARE a huge deduction and Mirai will suffer from it at international competitions so she might as well not get any favors from the U.S. judges. But Rachael shouldn't get any favors on Program Component scores. Not saying she did. But I'd like to understand better.

Page 47 of 64 FirstFirst ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ... LastLast