Page 62 of 64 FirstFirst ... 12 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 LastLast

Thread: Championship Ladies FS

Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    In the grand scheme of things, Mirai gets to go to the Olympics and will get UR calls there. Some people still fail logic. Some people still live in the 1980s. The earth will rotate a triple by this time on Friday. It's so funny and it's all good.
    One has to laugh at the CoP system. A thousand people hailed Mirai as the winner but the CoP said no she is not. c'est la vie.
    Both Ladies did very well, and it is time to wish them a super Olys and get the USFS a 13pt score between them at Worlds.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    ...it is time to wish them a super Olys and get the USFS a 13pt score between them at Worlds.
    Let's hope...

Quote Originally Posted by rallycairn View Post
    Alright, gonna flaunt my ignorance here. For some reason I was thinking judges and/or tech panel were not necessarily the same for both lp and sp. Are they completely the same, barring an official falling ill or for whatever reason not able to do both phases?

Shows how much I've bothered looking up even some of the most basic stuff about CoP.

TIA
    For U.S. Nationals, I am pretty sure they were the same.

For ISU international competitions, the tech panels are the same, but four of the SP judges are replaced by four new judges for the LP, the remaining five continuing to judge both segments.

Custom Title
    Mirai's URs are not that concerning at this point because:

1.) 2a-3t is a hard combination to get ratified, it essentially is a 3-3, Akiko was getting dinged for it this season before she changed in to a sequence. Mirai either does a 3t-2a sequence or a 3-2 with her most solid triple jump in it's place.

2.) The second lutz would probably been ratified under a different panel. Of all the jumps that got UR calls, this was the most rotated.

3.) The 3t at the end of the program was the only jump that I thought deserved to get a UR call. This is just stamina, she was tired and had to wait a long time after the warmup before she skated, which is hard to do and probably the reason Ashley fell in the SP. Her 3t is not usually a problematic jump for her so I'm sure it's something that can be worked on before the Olympics.

So if Mirai gets one UR call at the Olympics or Worlds, it's not going to ruin her chances of placing well. All she needs to do is replace the 2a-3t combo (she can still fit in 6 triples without doing that combination) and work on stamina so she doesn't get tired at the end. Once she does this, she will be fine and kick butt . I'm sure she and Frank are aware of what her issues are and will be working to fix them in these last few weeks.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    For ISU international competitions, the tech panels are the same, but four of the SP judges are replaced by four new judges for the LP, the remaining five continuing to judge both segments.
    Damn, I didn't even know that...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Mirai's URs are not that concerning at this point because:

1.) 2a-3t is a hard combination to get ratified, it essentially is a 3-3, Akiko was getting dinged for it this season before she changed in to a sequence. Mirai either does a 3t-2a sequence or a 3-2 with her most solid triple jump in it's place.

2.) The second lutz would probably been ratified under a different panel. Of all the jumps that got UR calls, this was the most rotated.

3.) The 3t at the end of the program was the only jump that I thought deserved to get a UR call. This is just stamina, she was tired and had to wait a long time after the warmup before she skated, which is hard to do and probably the reason Ashley fell in the SP. Her 3t is not usually a problematic jump for her so I'm sure it's something that can be worked on before the Olympics.

So if Mirai gets one UR call at the Olympics or Worlds, it's not going to ruin her chances of placing well. All she needs to do is replace the 2a-3t combo (she can still fit in 6 triples without doing that combination) and work on stamina so she doesn't get tired at the end. Once she does this, she will be fine and kick butt . I'm sure she and Frank are aware of what her issues are and will be working to fix them in these last few weeks.
    Mirai underrotated the same 3 jumps at Cup of China (plus two more: 2Lo in the 3-jump combo and the 2T in the 3Lo combo).

At Skate Canada, Mirai did not attempt the 2A+3T; she did 2A+2T. She didn't UR the solo 3Z or the 3T, but URd the same two double jumps as at Cup of China, and she got "e" on both her lutzes, with stiff penalties (-2.00 for one and -3.00 for the other).

I'm not sure Mirai can fix her UR problems overnight. She's been URing jumps consistently since 2008. She probably needs to revamp her pick jump technique, and that is not an easy task. She also is going to have to work on that flutz, because losing 5 points in the FS will definitely hurt her in the standings.
    Last edited by chuckm; 01-27-2010 at 12:22 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    One has to laugh at the CoP system. A thousand people hailed Mirai as the winner but the CoP said no she is not. c'est la vie.
    Both Ladies did very well, and it is time to wish them a super Olys and get the USFS a 13pt score between them at Worlds.
    I would like to know who are those thousand of people. How come no one asked me who I thought won? I'll give them a piece of my mind on Mirai's UR and tell them she shouldn't even be alternate, maybe alternate to the alternate.

I'll give them a piece of my mind on Mirai's UR and tell them she shouldn't even be alternate, maybe alternate to the alternate.
    ¡No!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    ¡No!
    Just kidding. I love her. She and Rachael will do us proud.

Just kidding. I love her. She and Rachael will do us proud.
    Okay. That's better.

Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Yes, I think you make good points.
    As you previously pointed out it was nice that no one booed Rachael when they saw that she had won. Rachael or any other skater does not deserve that type of treatment no matter how much another skater was preferred..

But rules aside for a minute - skating can't survive as we know it without the type of performance Mirai delivered.

The fact that Scott got emotionally involved along with the majority of the crowd and the majority of the TV viewers would be shortsighted and even foolish to overlook.

Or, as some have mentioned in the past, we can lose the music and the costumes and just line up the skaters for a jumping contest - something like the vault in gymnastics.

Then another event for spinning. Then an event for steps.......
    After all the separate events have been completed an all around winner can be declared with individual medals for the winners of each event.

This would be the ultimate realization of the CoP. A pure athletic competition with little to do with the most unique aspect of skating - the performance art.

Maybe they should try it. I am sure it is what Speedy would be most comfortable with. And while we are at it throw in a couple of sprint races so we can see who are the fastest figure skaters.

I think the most special and unique aspect of figure skating - and what sets it apart from other sports - is the type of performance Mirai delivered at Natls.

It is for moments like that that I have enjoyed skating. If they take that away, they lose me and the vast majority of fans.

Custom Title
    If that's the case, than that sucks. I understand why they'd boost Sasha at the expense of everyone else. I'm not sure why they'd boost Flatt (or Wagner).

Custom Title
    Jeez, why are people still getting riled up about this issue? It isn't as if they're depriving Mirai of going to Olympics because of the UR/edge calls. She's one of top 2. Mission accomplished.

Good luck to both of them!
    Last edited by Figure88; 01-27-2010 at 09:45 AM.

I would like to know who are those thousand of people. How come no one asked me who I thought won? I'll give them a piece of my mind on Mirai's UR and tell them she shouldn't even be alternate, maybe alternate to the alternate.
    I really do not know how much audience is in that arena. For giveme for exaggerating. But most audiences judge skating as who was the most entertaining.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Figure88 View Post
    Jeez, why are people still getting riled up about this issue? It isn't as if they're depriving Mirai of going to Olympics because of the UR/edge calls. She's one of top 2. Mission accomplished.

Good luck to both of them!
    I agree. When the smoke clears, they will be both Olympians. They both looked happy on the podium.
    Last edited by R.D.; 01-27-2010 at 11:23 AM.

Page 62 of 64 FirstFirst ... 12 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 LastLast