From GS Newsletter - You can't figure out figure skating | Golden Skate

From GS Newsletter - You can't figure out figure skating

Check out the GS Newsletter this month. Its on Slam Sports.

Many interesting articles. One I liked was about You Can't Figure Out Figure Skating . Apparently, even way back in 1950 there was judging manipulations on the results. Jacqueline duBief was such a lovely skater to be told 'wait till next year' even though she was the obvious winner. And lots more up to SLC.

The other one: Judges Jobs Change with the New System . (Aside from the interesting comment by Joe Inman and Sarah Hughes' skate at the SLC, there is a comment earlier on
the third method: The Interim System to be used at Worlds. Anyone know about this third method?

Joe

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
My understanding was that what we had last year was the Interrim System. Basically the old 6.0 system but with the added secrecy.

Ptichka said:
My understanding was that what we had last year was the Interrim System. Basically the old 6.0 system but with the added secrecy.

I can understand the reason for added secrecy. It keeps the public from knowing the names of the judges who might be considered guilty of cheating. That's the way it was at DC Worlds. We never knew which judge gave what mark.

Joe

My understanding is that the 6.0 system will be used at Nats and Worlds. Perhaps what they mean by a "third interrim" system is that at Nats we will have essentially what we had before last year, nine judges whose names we know using the 6.0 system, and at Worlds the ISU will use the 14-judge, no names system where five of the judges are randomly excluded prior to the event but we don't get to know who. Perhaps. But everything I've heard is that at least the scores will be according to the 6.0 system for Nats and Worlds, not the COP, no matter what other changes are made to the format.

Thanks, Joe, for the heads up on the GS Newsletter:)
Rgirl

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Could I get the URL for the GS Newsletter on Slam Sports, please?

Marjaana

Last edited:
You can also get it from the Golden Skate home page (scroll down to the bottom of the articles.

http://www.goldenskate.com/

Plus, from the GS home page you can click on Newsletter and subscribe. It will come in your email every couple of weeks.

Mathman

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Thanks so much for the help! Highly interesting articles... Oh, yeah, there has been rotten judging forever, but of course it is only a few judges who make it feel like that.

Marjaana

rGirl - The 6.0 system used in DC Worlds was 14 judges (if I remember correctly) all named but only 9 of the 14 judges were randomly drawn. Of the lucky 9, fans still couldnt figure out who was who even if you went by number if not name. The marks were in ascending order which of course, judges would not be the same for Technical and Presentation.

I devised my own system and played with the scores as they came up (you actually got more information on TV than we did at the arena). I droped the top 2 scores and the bottom 2 scores and realized the 5 middle scores were no more than .l to .2 difference. How fair that might be!

Of course, there was no dropping of judge scores so there was still a bit of possible manipulation. However, I got to like this method since it was a step in filtering out too many judges from the same region.

Joe

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Joesitz:

Nothing new there. Figure Skating has always been political. When figures counted the skater who laid down the best figures won - even if they were out skated by a better free skater. Now that was heartbreaking.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Oh, yes, especially thinking of freeskates performed by Karen Magnussen and Janet Lynn...

If comparing the CoP with 6,0 system, the skater still needs to be strong both in short programme and freeskate. With CoP one can get a nice lead with a strong short programme though. Of course everything depends on how other skaters are skating...

Marjaana

Last edited: