Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: CTV: Rochette issues Olympic edict

CTV: Rochette issues Olympic edict

A news story from CTV:

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/figure-ska...sid=26399.html

"I'm ready. I'm back,'' she said after completely overwhelming all of her opponents and winning with a score of 208.23, only a couple of points behind the world record set by Kim Yu-Na of South Korea earlier this year.
    Rochette said she was almost "robotic.''
    "That was kind of in the plan,'' Rochette said. "After the season I've had, I just wanted to do one element at a time, take it one step at a time. It was really important for my own confidence to do this. Of course, the program can be so much more.''
    Last edited by Phoenix347; 01-18-2010 at 03:45 PM. Reason: fix formatting error

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Rochette said she was almost "robotic"
    Which is essentially the problem I always have with her.

Custom Title
    Congrats to Joannie!

But, just like Abbott, let's hope that she didn't peak too soon.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Which is essentially the problem I always have with her.
    Same here.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    I have very mixed feelings about her.

At her best (which I've only seen 2 or 3 times) she is fabulous and I'd be happy to see her on the podium. But often she lacks personality and grace on the ice. I've loved her as Firebird and as ice princess (in a gala) but she seems totally miscast as Dalilah to me. Does anyone think she looks seductive in that FP?

She doesn't have the natural grace and fluidity of someone like (to avoid the obvious) Tugba Karademir or Patrick Chan, and her rather blocky build doesn't help.

All this is to say that if she brings fire and style to the ice, I'll applaud if she medals, but if she gets it for what she herself admits is "robotic" skating, I won't. I feel the same way about Rachael Flatt.

Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    She doesn't have the natural grace and fluidity of someone like (to avoid the obvious) Tugba Karademir or Patrick Chan, and her rather blocky build doesn't help.
    I wish people would shut up about her so called "blocky build". The girl weighs 110 lbs for goodness sake. She's got muscles and with those muscles she is able to consistently rotate her triples unlike the large majority of the other female skaters.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post
    I wish people would shut up about her so called "blocky build".
    It is what it is.

Spun Silver is correct - Joannie does not have natural grace and fluidity. Her body type isn't bad, but it does add to the feeling of lacking softness in her skating when she tries to skate to that kind of music.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    It is what it is.

Spun Silver is correct - Joannie does not have natural grace and fluidity. Her body type isn't bad, but it does add to the feeling of lacking softness in her skating when she tries to skate to that kind of music.
    That's your opinion. I feel differently. I find it incredbily annoying when people discuss skater's body shapes and sizes as it is completely unnessecary.

I have very mixed feelings about her.

At her best (which I've only seen 2 or 3 times) she is fabulous and I'd be happy to see her on the podium. But often she lacks personality and grace on the ice. I've loved her as Firebird and as ice princess (in a gala) but she seems totally miscast as Dalilah to me. Does anyone think she looks seductive in that FP?

All this is to say that if she brings fire and style to the ice, I'll applaud if she medals, but if she gets it for what she herself admits is "robotic" skating, I won't. I feel the same way about Rachael Flatt.
    I think when she said she was robotic, I think she meant this particular competition. I think she felt she had a rough season, especially at the GPF, so she wanted to focus on her elements so she could execute each of them as well as she could. She needed to do that to regain confidence in herself. I think what she's saying is that now she'll work on the the other parts of the programs so the program can be more passionate.

Mashimaro on Ice
    She is not the most graceful on ice, but I think she gave good performances. I just wish she had a different costume for her LP.

That's your opinion. I feel differently. I find it incredbily annoying when people discuss skater's body shapes and sizes as it is completely unnessecary.
    ITA. I also think Joannie is not only attractive but also a great skater and a really good person.

I love her programs this year and although she struggled some this season, next month is what matters.

GP's are meaningless. Neither the Men's or Ladie's GPF champion last season even made the Worlds podium.

Let's see what happens in Vancouver. I would bet that Joannie will be on the podium and if she skates her best anything is possible.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    And I find it incredibly annoying when people want to ban comments on something as basic to an athlete's sport as their body! Especially in figure skating where all eyes are directed to one or two skaters'... bodies! There seems to be a quasi-platonic theory of skating around here that you can separate the skating from the skater and discuss it in the abstract. Nonsense. Every skater is different and it's not their beautiful minds that we're watching.

The amount of would-be censorship about such matters on skating boards (or at least this one) is ridiculous. And it's unnecessary anyway as every critical comment provokes at least two or three defenses of the body in question.

Anyway, back to Joannie, it's like Blades said. It's not that there's anything wrong with her build, but she's taken on iconic temptress music and it's not the most obvious choice for her body type or style. It's casting against type, if you will. People can do fabulous work when they're cast against type but it surely takes great effort. You see it in opera all the time - butterball Luciano Pavarotti as a "starving artist" in La Boheme, a middle-aged Tatiana Troyanos playing a 17-year-old boy or for that matter an ageless seductress (Kundry). Such singing actors convince your ears and heart (even your eyes, in a way) that they are those characters.

I hope Phoenix47 is right that Joannie plans to put more effort into interpretation before Vancouver. Like I said, if she can add some passion to her technical ability I'll be cheering for her.

I wish people would shut up about her so called "blocky build". The girl weighs 110 lbs for goodness sake.
    I'm not going to fan the fire here. I only wanted to say that I have seen Joannie in person a few years ago (not on the ice, talking to her) and she was teeny tiny. She was wearing pants like yoga pants and a halter tank to skate that day, and she had a little fitted jacket over it. There is something about her that makes her look "blocky" on tv. In person, no one would ever use the term "blocky" to describe her.

Here is Joannie - looking pretty darned good to me.

http://www.joannierochette.com/image...TE20545948.jpg

Of course I like athletic girls - and just about any girl that skates is aces in my book.

And I find it incredibly annoying when people want to ban comments on something as basic to an athlete's sport as their body! Especially in figure skating where all eyes are directed to one or two skaters'... bodies! There seems to be a quasi-platonic theory of skating around here that you can separate the skating from the skater and discuss it in the abstract. Nonsense. Every skater is different and it's not their beautiful minds that we're watching.

The amount of would-be censorship about such matters on skating boards (or at least this one) is ridiculous. And it's unnecessary anyway as every critical comment provokes at least two or three defenses of the body in question.
    Are you aware of the amount of eating disorders that exist in figure skating and the pressure that is put on the skaters to look a certain way? Good for Joannie for not caving to this way of thinking. There is nothing wrong with having muscle mass. Joannie's body has been made fun of numerous times this year and frankly I am sick of it. As a fan of hers, I of course am going to stick up for her when people use the words "blocky" "masculine" or "unattractive" - when talking about a woman who weighs 110 lbs.

She isn't any bigger than any of the other skaters - she is in fact smaller, as you can see in this picture, for example:
    http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/vGNse...LSwv/Yu-Na+Kim

http://www.skatecanada.ca/en/images/...haron-Dahl.jpg

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast