Senior Ladies Outcome--as Predicted by USFS | Golden Skate

Senior Ladies Outcome--as Predicted by USFS

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
I happened to look at the ISU's 4CC entry list and beheld an interesting list of 8 names. Keep in mind that the ISU required USFS to nominate 8 ladies for its competitors and alternates BEFORE Nationals (I think by early January). The actual selections are of course, TBA pending outcome of the competition, but the list of 8 candidates is interesting for who it has on it and doesn't have on it. Due to timing, there was likely to be no way that an Olympic team member would be sent to 4CC, so this list represents a group that the USFS didn't expect to be on the podium = didn't expect to be possibilities for the Olympics.

Possible 4CC ladies (alphabetical) as submitted by the USFSA: Bereswill, Bulanhagui, Dobbs, Gao, Gilles, Maxwell, Nagasu, Zhang. As I understand ISU rules, the team must come from this list. I'm not surprised at 6 names on the list, but Bulanhagui and Dobbs did surprise me....clearly the USFS has been monitoring more than just the most well-known 5-6 contenders.

Who's missing: Czisny, Flatt, Wagner. Apparently USFS figured they'd be headed elsewhere.

Also not on is Liang (guess USFS has pretty much given up on her), Hughes and Cohen (both of whom wouldn't be tapped for 4CC anyway due to their other life commitments and almost certain lack of interest in going to any competition other than the Olympics.)

However, I think that should somebody on the list (i.e. Mirai Nagasu) finish #1 or a strong #2, I don't think the USFS would hesitate at all to send her to Olympics and scratch her from 4CC.

They may have asked Czisny, Flatt and Wagner if they wanted to do Four Continents and they said no regardless of what happens about the Olympic team.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
They may have asked Czisny, Flatt and Wagner if they wanted to do Four Continents and they said no regardless of what happens about the Olympic team.

I thought about that, but I think that scenario is highly unlikely, except possibly in the case of Alissa if she is going to retire after this season anyway. For the other two, a turn-down would have been a politically unwise thing to do if they intend to keep skating competitively--and neither Flatt nor Wagner has enough intl achievement or reputation gravitas yet to get away with that sort of response to the USFSA. But I doubt USFS even put the question to any of them.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
I can confirm that this is correct. It was the skaters' choice (back in December) whether or not they wanted to be considered for selection to Four Continents.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Maybe just trying to give some other girls a shot as 4CC results don't matter much.

I have a question though, will Sasha definitely not go to worlds if she wins 1st or 2nd? I'm kinda hoping that Mirai will get to go to Worlds this year. Obviously I want her at the Olympics but if she were to come in say 3rd and Sasha was 1st or 2nd and didn't want to go, Mirai would be the logical one to send to worlds. That would still be exciting for her!

gsrossano

Final Flight

All the top skaters were asked in advance of creating the 4C lists if they would go to 4C if selected. Anyone who said yes before Nationals and then turns down a berth potentially screws over another skater. (Think pairs, hint, hint).

Trewyn

Medalist
Oh wow... I was already making arrangements to be able to watch 4CC next week in case Ashley didn't make Olys and got 4CC as a consolation price... I can understand she doesn't want it; it's ridiculously close to Nats. She'll be exhausted; physically, mentally, regardless of the outcome... Now I have to root extra hard she makes Olys and Worlds :)

Right now it looks like Gao and Dobbs will be on the team. Maybe with Zhang or Gilles?

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Would USFS send the same skater to 4CC and Junior Worlds? The competitions are far enough apart that it could work. Pending ladies FS results at Nats, Gao, Dobbs, and Gilles could be in this boat. I doubt Zhang would be sent to Jr Worlds anymore, as she's already been (twice?) and is not in good shape right now.

Trewyn

Medalist
^^ Caroline has been to Jr Worlds 3 times (one gold, two silvers); so no, seriously, no more Jr Worlds please! She's been skating at the GP Circuit for 3 seasons already!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
^^ Caroline has been to Jr Worlds 3 times (one gold, two silvers); so no, seriously, no more Jr Worlds please! She's been skating at the GP Circuit for 3 seasons already!

Well I assume Christina Gao and Agnes Z will go to Jr. Worlds, and will be accompanied by one other person, be it Caroline, Mirai, Ashley, Amanda Dobbs, Kiri Baga, or some other junior lady. I don't think they really care about how old the people they send are, Katrina Hacker went last year and she's turning 20 this spring.

Kissx3

Final Flight
Yeah, looks like the 4CC team will be Gao, Dobbs & Gilles if they can only select from their shortlist. Maybe some consideration for Zhang > Gilles due to past success, but she had a terrible competition here.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Yeah, looks like the 4CC team will be Gao, Dobbs & Gilles if they can only select from their shortlist. Maybe some consideration for Zhang > Gilles due to past success, but she had a terrible competition here.

LOVE Gao! She's what's up. Mirai too. In two years they will be the new Mao and Yuna only better because they will compete for the same country and it will be amazing :agree:

I'm actually serious though, I think Mirai and Christina are that talented, although Mirai's skating reminds me more of Midoriti Ito than Mao. Christina IS Yuna though, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7nmsUs6OOs

see what I mean? Same posture, same jumping style, same body type, same use of arms. Hehe, so excited for Christina :love:

LeCygne

Final Flight
^ Haha I love Christina Gao too. It's amazing how far she's come in the past year, and I really think she has a brilliant future ahead of her. I'm in awe of her excellent technique - it will no doubt take her very far.

miki88

Medalist
Well they are both trained under Brian Orser:biggrin:. But I have to say I still find Christina's movements to be awkward. Yuna was never the most graceful on ice but she really improved, so I am hoping Christina improves on that in the future. Yea, I don't see Nagasu as being similar to Mao at all. They are very different skaters. It will be interesting to see these two compete against Kanako in the future. :)