Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Senior OD

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Tonichelle, here's the article

Basically, I took it to read "self interested" - .
    she never used those words, she used "SELFISH"

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by piano18 View Post
    she never used those words, she used "SELFISH"
    You're correct. I elected to use context to elucidate a meaning. Given that she was talking about mentors and being examples, that's how I felt she meant it. You clearly disagree.

Basically, I took it to read "self interested" - as in Belbin/Agosto aimed to better themselves first for themselves as opposed to being mentors to the younger teams in the Shpilband crew.
    I agree that it may be a misuse of words, English isn't Marina's first language after all... and shoot most of us who do have it as a first language can't speak it!

Vancouver 2010, 247.23, Bronze
    Glad to hear Meryl and Charlie are leading after the OD I wish they win overall as well.

Is there videos of the top 3 anywhere yet?

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Woman? Limp rag ? Harsh, indeed. Begins to sound like the old "Only we understand real passion.." refrain. Talk about meh.. I've always liked tanith & Ben, just think their choice was poor. They have improved , but so have both teams they moved away from. i think they could have improved where they were..( and I would have enjoyed their programs more... poor me. )
    Last edited by colleen o'neill; 01-23-2010 at 12:09 AM. Reason: context

Custom Title
    Does anyone know what Pratt/Obzansky's 1:00 point deduction was for. I didn't catch it.

Medalist
    yes that was indeed harsh i apologize it's just when i watch old tapes of B/A i get quite furious (not them, the judges) who overmark them over better couples and yes i still stand by my opinion that belbin was quite a limp rag back then, not now, she is a WOMAN ice dancer now, vastly improved skating and edges, and definitely deserved their silver from Worlds last year.........

Talking about who's going to be dumped in Vancouver or Turin, sadly, it will be Virtue/Moir.

Custom Title
    This was menitioned elsewhere, but I think what B/A tried to avoid with their move (being overshadowed by a teammate) occurred anyway (as DomShabs moved to Linichuk soon after). I understand why they made the move, and the fact is that it worked in that their technique HAS improved considerably. But they're not operating in a vacuum.
    I'm not sure what people (not you IP) expect B&A to have done. Shpilband & Zoueva had a full house and they are known for choosing favorites. In all honestly even B&A may have benefitted at one point from being the favored top team because of all the on and off ice issues L&T had. The same thing happened to Stiegler/Magerovski. Igor had been chomping at the bit to train Tiffany Stiegler but as soon as Jamie Silverstein returned S&M were pushed to the back of the line.

Professonally the move to Linichuk was needed and the smart thing to do. If either V&M or D&W had been in the same position they would have done the same. If you are a top team and want to stay there why stay with coaches who openly tell the press that your training mates are better? If D&W win the gold (I hope not; they are medal contenders but despite what the judges marks are they aren't gold material yet IMHO) let's see what V&M do since Tessa and Scott (well Scott) have been vocal about wanting the gold and feeling they are the best team in the world.

Also piano isn't the only one who has commented on Tanith's need for improvement in her skating skills. Just browse through any message board for the past few years and the comments are numerous and sometimes beyond harsh. It's a shame that B&A have worked hard and done as they were told only to be pushed aside in favor of a team who has some of the same issues B&A used to. And that team is being applauded and rewarded for the qualities that Tanith has been criticized for and told to change.

From what I read on the ISU board (I hope this isn't a bad case of board dragging), USFS wanted B&A to train with Linichuk and I read in the past that Linichuk had wanted B&A to train under her and Karponosov a few years before B&A actually made the move. From what I read at the time B&A didn't immediately leave the Shpilband camp because of their loyalty to Igor. I can see where that got them and now both Igor and Marina at times have come across as bitter over B&A leaving them. This isn't the first time one of them has made deragatory statements about Tanith and Ben in the press. I think D&W's success is due to their own talent and hard work but also to Igor trying to stick it to B&A and it's working. He must be beside himself.

I read a Johnny Weir interview pre-nationals and he made a comment about not liking CoP becase he feels as if all of a sudden everything that once was right is now wrong. Not an exact quote but I wonder if Tanith and Ben are feeling the same way. They may not win another title Saturday night but I am glad they showed up to compete (some felt they wouldn't) and are at least on ice putting up a good fight.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed for NavBoms to pull up in the FD.

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    sorry ,piano18, not biting...

Custom Title
    Talking about who's going to be dumped in Vancouver or Turin, sadly, it will be Virtue/Moir.
    To be honest, V&M being pushed aside bothers me more than B&A. Despite Scott coming across as cocky at times, he isn't off base in having so much confidence in his and Tessa's skating abilities. I watch what is done on the ice then see the judges place D&W above them in practically all of the components scores? TES I get but PCS? Wow.

mylastduchess
    What makes you say that? V/M still has the highest scoring Free Skate this season, and the Olympics bieng in Canada I could not imagine them finishing off the podium

Custom Title
    Haven't posted here quite a while

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJFzxwCVoGs Tanith and Ben's original program

Really wanted to see Tanith & Ben take the lead in the od. They too have a lot of detail & expression in their dance, beautiful edging, but better line than D/W. Ben's reaction after Tanith kicks him in the behind is great - I just love their playfulness here.

Still wondering how D/W get positive GOE marks from the judges for their twizzle section. Just out of sync on that second portion.

Banned
    BA/ were absolutely ROBBED.:( And I am not even a fan.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    Does anyone know what Pratt/Obzansky's 1:00 point deduction was for. I didn't catch it.
    Here are the protocols. P&O received a deduction for extended lift (which is by far the most frequent deduction these days)

http://www.usfigureskating.org/leade...0/results.html

For those interested in ferreting out this stuff, Tanith and Ben did get better PCS than Meryl and Charlie in the component that actually contains the extension/toe point part, Performance. The component also contains plus points for projecting the dance to the watchers (which D&W are very good at, and that somewhat offsets the extension, carriage stuff)

And here's the link to the summary

http://www.usfigureskating.org/leade...0/results.html

D&W made the biggest gain over B&A in Choreography, second biggest gain in Interpretation.

Meryl and Charlie just edged Tanith and Ben in skating skills (speed, edging, etc) and in linking elements/footwork

On the 4 elements:
    D&W gained 0.4 over B&A on the lift (I agree with this strongly)
    lost 0.5 to B&A on the twizzle (B&A's were better but not wonderful)
    gained over 0.5 on the straight line step
    tied on the circular step (and indeed, IMO, the closing circular step was the best part of B&A's program)

Custom Title
    I'm going to weigh in because I haven't watched ice dance in a long time and this is the first time that I've actually liked B&A. She has improved greatly under Linichuk's guidance- having active feet and looking more animated. That said, I don't agree with an earlier assertion that D&W are doing the same things as B&A and getting rewarded for it. They are a very different couple in that they are meticulous and detail oriented. It definitely comes through in their skating and programs. I am by no means a D&W fan but B&A were pretty sloppy under Shpilband's guidance whereas my initial impression of D&W was that they made a lot of effort to do everything right and with proper form.

That's just my 2 cents. And for all the b!tching about the DomShab's "offensive" aborigine program, I'm surprised people aren't getting on Brent Bommentre's Jar Jar Binks dreadlock costume. Now that was tacky.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast