Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Senior OD

Custom Title
    1. It's interesting how people view this. In a previous discussion, jcoates mentioned that he felt because D/W trained with V/M and B/A, that their skills were generally underrated from the get-go.

2. Positive marks on D/W's twizzles is disappointing, but definitely a national thing.

3. Interesting that D/W weren't able to get the levels on the steps. Zoueva mentioned they focused a lot on the compulsories post-GPF, so that probably brought them back a little. Their PCS are huge despite that (again, the complex choreography and connection to the audience they have really works).

4. Dyan, I understand why they made the move, and I think most people do as well. My vacuum comment has more to do with the fact that while it helped them improve their basic skating skills (they had their best result at Worlds since the Olympics under Linichuk), it didn't work out as well as they'd hoped. V/M and D/W, who had been outpointing them on TES as soon as they became seniors saw their PCS catch up these past couple seasons. Concurrently, DomShabs were forced (for all intents and purposes) to go to Linichuk at the same time, and given that these two were N/K's heir apparents in Russia, B/A still got overshadowed. While their work ethic and improvements are commendable, the fact that they WD from two GPFs and a Nationals within just over a year has haunted them as D/W were winning with commanding scores. Did D/W benefit from WDs? Absolutely.

5. It ain't over til it's over. B/A are showing vigour and fight. While I think their OGM hopes are all but gone if they don't win Nationals, I wouldn't corronate anyone just yet.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by soogar View Post
    That's just my 2 cents. And for all the b!tching about the DomShab's "offensive" aborigine program, I'm surprised people aren't getting on Brent Bommentre's Jar Jar Binks dreadlock costume. Now that was tacky.
    Okay. First of all, I hate this OD theme. Period. Too many people get away with not doing true folk dance, it's ridiculous.

I don't DomShab's OD. I don't blame the aborigine people for being upset if it's not like their dance at all. But I agree with you, soogar. I LOVE Kim and Brent, but when Afro-Brazil and Afro-Cuba are countries, call me. This is the part of this theme that baffles me. It is a COUNTRY-FOLK OD, not country blend. I KNOW that Brazilian and Cuban folk dances have African inspiration within them, but that doesn't make their folk dances a two-country blend. Either pick African, or Brazilian, or Cuban. What's so hard about that? I appreciate trying to be different, but Kim and Brent did African the last go around, and this OD seems similar to that last one. Just say it's African and get it over with. The same goes for Madison and Greg: it seems more Cuban than African (to Kodo Japanese drums in the beginning; I'm not going to even get into that...); get it over with and say it's Cuban folk. Geez.

Again. Nothing against these teams, I just hate this OD theme. The end.

Custom Title
    Go Meryl Go Charlie!
    http://worldskating.blogspot.com

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    I'm a very casual ice dance watcher so excuse me if I'm being obvious (or rude): does anyone else think B/A have bad programs? That OD makes me cringe. The first words that came to mind were "so yesterday" - when all the other teams seemed so much more hip. Even the subsequent team whose dance was similar to B/A's - Pratt and Obzowsky? - was adorable. I don't think I've ever liked one of their programs. They all seem trite!

Sorry for the rant - what would top the B/A greatest hits list? I'll go watch and really try to like it!

Well, I think I already left my 2 cents worth of though on NavBoms OD on FSU, and I really don't think it's worth dragging the issue (just like DomShabs): it's bad and it's horribly inaccurate. Move on. But people decided to dig further. It's not worth it.

Of course there is the whole social thing of how those people (aboriginal and africans eg) were (wrongly) treated in the past and how that still echoes on those communities these days. But also think it's ice dancing, making a whole fuss about it it's not going to solve problems or bring awarness to the causes IMO.
    The press is simply feasting on such an easy story and "perpetrators" that almost nobody likes, but the story will die out after the olys and what real improvement to the undestanding of such a cause will remain. I say close to none.

And on NavBoms dance: Afro-Brazilian is such a wide term. Sure, there are plenty of folk dances in Brazil that have african origins, but Brazil is such a mix of people, that I can hardly think of one that is afro-brazilian per-se. Perhaps more to the northeast of the country. They said they did their research, but it sure looks like a poor one. His costume is specially dreadful, and I'm pretty sure no dance in Brazil has costumes that come close to resemble that (may be some extreme carnival costumes...). Not to mention that the name of the group that perfoms the song is spelled wrong on their ISU bio (may be they went for phonetics, but it's still wrong).
    Last edited by beep_beep; 01-23-2010 at 01:36 PM.

Tripping on the Podium
    I just saw B/A OD, their skated very well with speed and their scores were high, they are still figthing for the gold. Their smile after the dance and their Twitter messagens make me thinh thate ven if they and up with the silver medal they are kind of happy cuz no metter what theyr are haning some wonderdul skate in spokane. Good luck to them

Custom Title
    I have to say that even though I am a D/W fan, I do feel for B/A in that part of the reason they left Igor and Marina was to get individual attention. But very shortly thereafter DomShabs joined their camp and now F/S are training with them at least part time. Still, it's clear that they have benefitted from the move at least as far as compulsories are concerned. Their TES in the other segments is still getting outpointed by their old training mates. I think that is due to two different reasons. For V/M, they are just smoother and sharper than B/A. But with D/W, everything is done faster and with more energy. I find both teams to be more technically precise than B/A. Still, B/A have fine qualities of their own, especially their long limbs. But as I've said before, they seemed to be victims mostly of bad timing. As others have said, both V/M and D/W have improved dramatically since they became seniors. I think they also thrive much more on their training environment than B/A did. It could be partly due to temperment (which I think is similar for both teams) or similar ages. Or it could be the fact that they came to Canton to train at about the same time. Regardless, both teams clearly push each other to be better. At the same time, I think that B/A made the best decision for them and their Olympic medal chances are still quite strong especially after seeing Euros.

Good luck to everyone today!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6