Senior OD | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Senior OD

skatemom1122

Final Flight
Wow...might have been 70+ without that uncharacteristic error from her. TES is still higher than a flawless B/A. Wow.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Okay, now I think B/A are getting dumped a little. 9.50 for Choregraphy and 9.54 for Interpretation? These are massive scored being given to Davis/White. A two point difference could be made up in the free, but that requires a barnburner for B/A and a major error (fall on a required element) from D/W. I didn't expect this.

skatemom1122

Final Flight
Okay, now I think B/A are getting dumped a little. 9.50 for Choregraphy and 9.54 for Interpretation? These are massive scored being given to Davis/White. A two point difference could be made up in the free, but that requires a barnburner for B/A and a major error (fall on a required element) from D/W. I didn't expect this.

Gotta say I agree with the judges. There's something special about D/W's OD. B/A are hardly being dumped. Only 2 points separate the teams.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Gotta say I agree with the judges. There's something special about D/W's OD. B/A are hardly being dumped. Only 2 points separate the teams.

I'm not watching, so I can refute that (nor would I - I think D/W are an incredible team). And while they're hardly being dumped, that's true, I just didn't think the judging would go where it has. I do think they're responding to the huge scores D/W got in the GP season, at the very least.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I'll be glued to my TV tomorrow...But leaving aside placement of elements, speed and ice coverage ,which you can't always tell about on TV, and given that speed, ice coverage can vary from skate to skate, I really think that D/W's OD may have it over B/A's....though I do like their OD..Hmmmm...

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It was inevitable that Belbin/Agosto's continuous withdrawals from competition and injuries would catch up with them and they have. In their absences, Davis/White have carried the baton for US ice dancing, winning the most recent 4CC, all their GP events, and the GP Final. Plus, Davis/White's routines last season and this season have been more difficult than Belbin/Agosto's routines, IMO. Meryl and Charlie really worked hard and have improved so much! :)

A.H.Black

Final Flight
I also agree with the choreography and interpretation marks for Davis and White.

That said, I thought this particular performance was not as magical as, say, the Grand Prix final performance. Meryl seemed just a tad bit off all the way through, not just on the twizzles. Like she was having to work hard rather than just letting it happen.

skatemom1122

Final Flight
I'm not watching, so I can refute that (nor would I - I think D/W are an incredible team). And while they're hardly being dumped, that's true, I just didn't think the judging would go where it has. I do think they're responding to the huge scores D/W got in the GP season, at the very least.

Yes - i agree. Maybe they feel pressured to score D/W according to their GP success.

Dyan

On the Ice

I'm one of the few who will but I agree with you that B&A are getting a little dumped. IMO D&W's OD is better artistically than B&A's but the overall skating is close but B&A are (of course IMHO) better in some areas. IMO with clean skates I have to say that as much as I love Tanith and Ben over Meryl and Charlie then yeah I'd give the nod in the OD to D&W. But with any mistake both teams are close enough that I would have B&A win that portion or at least D&W's score should be a little lower.

I'll probably get slammed for this but so be it but with the exception of the OD this year, I've found D&W to be a little bit overrated.

However, if the international judges (who's marks USFS seem to be taking to heart) think that D&W's skating skills are better than those of V&M then I guess it's no surprise that they will also be considered better than B&A. Sadly I did expect this.

IMO, the moment the international judges decided that B&A's FD was only worth a 95 they lost their chance to repeat as National champions. I think if the international judges had marked B&A on the same level as D&W and V&M they might have been given an opportunity to regain the title.

I think B&A's FD is to them what D&W's OD is to them and if B&A skate well they should in theory be able to win the FD but I'm not counting on it.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Warmup Group 2
6 Tanith Belbin, IceWorks SC
Benjamin Agosto, IceWorks SC

Moldavian (Romanian) folk dance

Same outfits as they've used all year. He give her a bird, she sets it free.
The twizzles were good, not great.
Straight line lift still awkward and unsmooth in the transitions
Final steps high energy and very, very good
transitional lift to end again kind of awkward

They think it felt good. I thought it was better than SA and CoC. Still work to do on those lifts though.

32.06 34.83 total 66.89 overall (111.91)
dear me. Score inflation.

7 Katie Wyble, Center Ice & Blades of Western PA
Justin Morrow, All Year FSC

Zorba the Greek (sirtaki)

Over all quite pleasant. They got the stop and go and knee slide thing from sirtaki going quite well
trouble on the twizzles, a bit, especially the first set. Lift very basic as these things go.

8 Meryl Davis, Arctic FSC
Charlie White, Detroit SC

Meryl & Charlie were shown meditating during B&A's routine. I think they may be a little tight. Still they start out as usual.
The lift was wonderful, as were the 2 step sequences. The midline not touching is particularly special where there hand motions, which are quite complex are very synchronized. Meryl had a problem in the second twizzle set, but I think she might still have gotten the rotations to get the level. Not sure. Very smooth final transitional lift

Scores inflated for not their very best for this superb dance. OTOH, they will get the extra +1 GOE for each element for keeping Indian character in the element, plus they should be extra high in the choreo and interp PCS components.

32.56 35.55 total 68.11 overall 113.53

9 Jane Summersett, Broadmoor SC
Todd Gilles, Broadmoor SC

Chilean pan pipe music & dance (choreo Chris Dean) Duchesnay music (also Illinyk Katsalopov)

white shirt, black pants on him, white blouse, blue skirt, wide red pseudo belt on her

Really good energy, nice twizzles and I really liked the straight line step. They also handled the change in tempo very, very nicely.

28.92 23.56 total 52.48 overall 83.20 (3rd)

10 Kimberly Navarro, Santa Rosa FSC
Brent Bommentre, Philadelphia SC & HS

Brazilian/African. I dislike this dance almost as much as the DomShabs, and for similar reasons.

He's in the dreadful costume with the mini shield on his chest, the pseudo dreadlocks on his head, and lots of cowrie shells
She is the ocean? in blue?

They are tight. They are a bit odd in the straight line step. She is kind of jumping a turn that ought to be smooth, and the
unison is not perfect. I'd have to check the levels, but I preferred S&G...And normally, I am very fond of N&B

29.42 28.18 total 57.60 overall 95.20

Juli®

Rinkside
After the Europeans Championships, i think Meryl and Charlie are the favourites to gold medal in the olym because they have the highest score of the season (210.10 e 210.97) in the GP'S and today, the russian couple are 199.95 total. The Shabalin's injury is hampering him. So i think the americans really the best couple.

As for Tessa and Scott, I think they are no match for Meryl and Charlie. They had an absurdly high score considering that she almost fell twice. And not only did so because the Scott held her.

So, i believe in Meryl and Davis! :biggrin::clap:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does anyone else think the steps of Samuelson/Bates don't go well with their music to The Dixie Chicks? The choreography is not in sync with the music to me. I don't like this OD.