Senior Free Dance | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Senior Free Dance

jcoates

Medalist
V/M had a similar lift jump and had to change it at Nationals so they would not get a deduction. I loved it though :/ and the one D/W do also. Such a shame they would get deducted for something so new and interesting. Neither were deducted all season so its unfair.

That is not a new move. It's been in the program the whole season. See youtube for all previous competitions. The camera angle may have made it look different. But it is NOT new.

V/M's lift (the "goose") that was changed involved a was a scored element. Meryl and Charlie's ":throw" is a non-scored transition lift. No deduction applicable. It counts toward the PCS.

ETA: Protocols are up. Ded. was for an extended lift (likely lift # 1)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
So sad for Kim and Brent. They are so entertaining and, as Tracy said, "heartfelt." They will make great show skaters if they get picked up.

sadly if you're not a top team chances are a big show isn't going to want you... because you're in ice dance, and only those with an olympic medal stand a chance... or at the very least for SOI you need a national title... :no:

jcoates

Medalist
sadly if you're not a top team chances are a big show isn't going to want you... because you're in ice dance, and only those with an olympic medal stand a chance... or at the very least for SOI you need a national title... :no:

Sadly, I fear you are right.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
of course I'm right, I'm always right

we established this in another thread this past week :laugh:

figuristka

Medalist
That is not a new move. It's been in the program the whole season. See youtube for all previous competitions. The camera angle may have made it look different. But it is NOT new.

V/M's lift (the "goose") that was changed involved a was a scored element. Meryl and Charlie's ":throw" is a non-scored transition lift. No deduction applicable. It counts toward the PCS.

ETA: Protocols are up. Ded. was for an extended lift (likely lift # 1)

Iam in Europe so i cannot see any of this yet so didn't know exactly what it refered to. V/M goose was changed but i was not aware of any deductions for it before during the season.When i said new i mean, new as in something different not that they didn't do it all season.

Last edited:

jcoates

Medalist
Iam in Europe so i cannot see any of this yet so didn't know exactly what it refered to. V/M goose was changed but i was not aware of any deductions for it before during the season.

Sorry, did not mean to sound so sharp in my previous comment. The goose never received a deduction during the GP season. The were warned after the GPF that it could incur a deduction if Tessa performed more than one rotation in the air during the unassisted dismount. So they changed it to an assisted, non-rotating dismount where she does a blind drop over his shoulder into his arms. It was a preemptive move on their part to avoid any issues the next time they are in front of an international panel.

On another note, D/W got 3 level threes (both step sequences and the spin). Charlie did look like he came up slightly in his skating knee in the sit position. Still they got a massive GOE for that element. So B/A had a higher starting base value b/c they got one fewer level 3. But D/W got higher total GOE's that made up the difference plus extra even with the deduction for the extended lift.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to Meryl and Charlie's well deserved first place loved it, and to Taninth and Ben who skated their FP beautifully, loved it.

figuristka

Medalist
Sorry, did not mean to sound so sharp in my previous comment. The goose never received a deduction during the GP season. The were warned after the GPF that it could incur a deduction if Tessa performed more than one rotation in the air during the unassisted dismount. So they changed it to an assisted, non-rotating dismount where she does a blind drop over his shoulder into his arms. It was a preemptive move on their part to avoid any issues the next time they are in front of an international panel.

On another note, D/W got 3 level threes (both step sequences and the spin). Charlie did look like he came up slightly in his skating knee in the sit position. Still they got a massive GOE for that element. So B/A had a higher starting base value b/c they got one fewer level 3. But D/W got higher total GOE's that made up the difference plus extra even with the deduction for the extended lift.

That's alright, I did prefer V/M unassisted dismount jump during the season more than the assisted dismount , though the change still works well but i would have loved it to be allowed.

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
No not at all, I LOVED SILVERSTEIN AND O'MEARA!!! They were my favorite dance team, I have all of their programs on video. I was heartbroken, when Jamie quit again. I had always hoped that Jaime and Ben would skate together!!!!

No I was comparing this to watching the European Championships, Khok/Nov won the bronze over a much better and more talented Kerrs.

S/B do not have a better quality in skating, they used an drawn out opera like ballad with ice dancing moves, that is the oldest trick in the book. Nav/Bom were original, and deserve that space on the Olympic team!!!!

Thank you for clarifying. Yes, I never understood why Khok/Nov do so well. As far as I can see, the only thing in their favor is that they are Russian. The Kerrs are definitely more talented than Khok/Nov. How they won a Bronze at 2008 Worlds I will never understand.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Thank you for clarifying. Yes, I never understood why Khok/Nov do so well. As far as I can see, the only thing in their favor is that they are Russian. The Kerrs are definitely more talented than Khok/Nov. How they won a Bronze at 2008 Worlds I will never understand.

Belbin/Agosto fell in the CD's; D/W had training difficuties due to his injuries, DomShabs were out, and DenStav/DubLau retired that season.

I thought Belbin and Agosto's music was what lost it for them. It just wasn't dance music. I guess they did the best they could with it.

Phantom of the Opera, now -- yeah! It's the Carmen of Ice Dance. Give the audience what they want. Give the audience what they want. Give the audience what they want. :yes:

I also got to see the Original Dances for the first time on the NBC broadcast. I liked all three of the top couples. Better than the free dances, in fact. As for Samuelson and Bates' cowboy dance, in view of the ongoing controversy about respectful poprtrayal of different cultures -- country western is a style that is by its nature a self-parody. Yee-Haw!!!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
ODs have always been more fun, to me, than the FD... FD is always so over dramatic... though I normally prefer Tanith and Ben's FDs... but not since the move...

luvsasha

Final Flight
Country/Western might be a parody, but Emily/Evan are from America so they can make fun of it if they want to. I don't think that's what they were doing, but it's their own culture

Meryl/Charlie were amazing!!!!!!

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I thought Belbin and Agosto's music was what lost it for them. It just wasn't dance music. I guess they did the best they could with it.

Phantom of the Opera, now -- yeah! It's the Carmen of Ice Dance. Give the audience what they want. Give the audience what they want. Give the audience what they want. :yes:

I also got to see the Original Dances for the first time on the NBC broadcast. I liked all three of the top couples. Better than the free dances, in fact. As for Samuelson and Bates' cowboy dance, in view of the ongoing controversy about respectful poprtrayal of different cultures -- country western is a style that is by its nature a self-parody. Yee-Haw!!!

I thought Carmen was the Carmen of ice dance.

Wicked

Final Flight
I really like B/A and while their FD is not my favorite I still enjoy their skating it. Ben's costume today reminded me of Evel Knievel, and that is not a good thing for a guy who is skating to Ave Maria! (For those who don't know, Knievel was a daredevil who jumped over stuff on his motorcycle and did other stunts while wearing a white jumpsuit).

I loved this competition. I really love N/B's FD. The music is great and they are fabulous performers. It would be nice if an ice show picked them up but they just don't have the credentials.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Country/Western might be a parody, but Emily/Evan are from America so they can make fun of it if they want to. I don't think that's what they were doing, but it's their own culture

I dont think they're making fun of it at all... that's the character of the two step and other forms of country western dance... big hair, big personality.

the Kerrs, I think, are less country folk dancing.