Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Four Factors that Might Ruin Vancouver Olympics

I remember Alaska being asked to be an olympics bid for teh 2002 olympics and our governor at the time (Knowles-D) decided against it because it was too much $$ for the state to shell out, and he didn't want to deal with teh headache. not taking into account that South Central AK, where it would be held, were willing and ready.

oh well, one day maybe.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dlgpffps View Post
    You mentioned Chinese pride. The Chinese people had good reason to be proud, as it was an impressive display, but they had pride in part because they considered it an opportunity to declare China's rising prominence in exorbitant fashion, make solid and make known its new role as an eminent global player. I know this firsthand from speaking with Chinese people, and I think this is what bigsisjiejie was referring to. Remember the 60th Anniversary of PRC? There were a number of articles on the event, which emphasized the government's desire to show the world and its people just how strong and stable it is. In NYT alone, there were three. The Chinese government likes to show off -- so what? All governments do. It inspires in citizens a sense of pride, and it's an Asian thing -- the losing, keeping face business. No reason to get flustered

I was in Beijing right before the Olympics, Shanghai recently (right before the 2010 expo), and I'm in Guangzhou at the moment (2010 Asian Games). I can't speak for the Canadian government's approach to preparing for the Olympics, but I think the Chinese take it to a whole new level. The amazing thing, though, is that the Chinese don't make such a fuss about it. My Chinese friends didn't care so much about all the inconvenience leading up to the Games, while my American friends made a huge deal. I guess foreign and local reactions differ, in part, because of differences in culture. East Asian people often believe it's OK to go through some discomfort if it's for the benefit of the the unit of which they're part (e.g. their nation), while Western people put the individual's rights and needs over the unit's.
    This is a much closer to reality evaluation. Thanks, dlgpffps! The Chinese people were willing, not forced to do it. Though my previous post of "no complains" was not accurate. The vast majority of Chinese people put the sense of national pride on the top and understood and accepted the sacrifices they had to make. Such willingness was not forced. Otherwise, you won't see over 2000 people in one performance acted like one person at the opening ceremony.

Any way, Canada is my country. I wish the Vancouver Olympics goes smoothly. Can't expect it to be as grand as the Beijing Olympics though.
    Last edited by jennylovskt; 01-29-2010 at 12:44 AM.

Custom Title
    ^^^jenny, you are really misunderstanding me. I've lived in China a long time, and believe me, if I was as "disgusted" as you seem to think I am, i wouldn't have lasted past the first 6 months. Dlgpffps is closer to getting it. And he is correct in identifying that East Asian societies traditionally favor sacrificing for the collective purpose rather than focus on individualism (though that is certainly changing rapidly in today's urban China). I get the distinct impression you are ethnic Chinese yourself, either an immigrant to Canada or a CBC. Right? You are awfully defensive. And I still believe you are interpreting 2008 Olympics through rose-colored classes, selectively, not for things as they truly were. I remain steadfast in my assertion that 2008 was first and foremost targeted to the domestic masses for Love the Motherland purposes....and secondarily was a World Sporting Event. If you disagree with me, fine, but no point in arguing. I was present and will not change my opinion, and I am far from alone in that opinion.

As for "grand" it depends how you define it--
    1) Few countries are going to be able to spend the kind of cash that the Chinese government did. But then, most western countries aren't insecure enough to feel that hosting a 2-week international sporting event is going to affect their general non-sport domestic or international standing, in the big scheme of things. And some things of value can't be bought for any price.
    2) Winter Olympics are inherently less of a spectacle than Summer Olympics anyway, fewer countries, fewer athletes, fewer events, and sports that generally appeal to narrower segments of the general population (hockey being a possible exception).
    3) Grand can be defined in terms of big fancy facilities, Opening Ceremonies with casts of thousands, and similar. Or they can be defined as Grand in Spirit, with lots of collegiality, cammeraderie, and a great international party. You can have spectacle without substance or spirit. Based on the comments of multiple acquaintances who have each attended about 5-7 Summer and Winter Games apiece (yes there are some of those hardcore Olympic fans out there) , they noted Beijing for its strangely unfriendly and paranoid atmosphere, unlike anything they'd ever experienced at any other Olympics. But on the other hand, all have high hopes for Vancouver.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    2) Winter Olympics are inherently less of a spectacle than Summer Olympics anyway, fewer countries, fewer athletes, fewer events, and sports that generally appeal to narrower segments of the general population (hockey being a possible exception).
    See I much prefer the Winter Olympics for this very reason. The Summer Games have become too big, too many sports, too many athletes - and now every sport wants to get in on the action. With the Winter Games at least there is only so much you can do on ice or snow and that helps keep the numbers in check.

3) Grand can be defined in terms of big fancy facilities, Opening Ceremonies with casts of thousands, and similar. Or they can be defined as Grand in Spirit, with lots of collegiality, cammeraderie, and a great international party. You can have spectacle without substance or spirit. Based on the comments of multiple acquaintances who have each attended about 5-7 Summer and Winter Games apiece (yes there are some of those hardcore Olympic fans out there) , they noted Beijing for its strangely unfriendly and paranoid atmosphere, unlike anything they'd ever experienced at any other Olympics. But on the other hand, all have high hopes for Vancouver.
    Yes, the Vancouver officials went to Beijing and said while it was a great show, organized very well, clean, etc. there was no atmosphere on the streets. Vancouver wants it to be a party downtown and it really is going to be I think. There are many outdoor party spaces where you can watch events on big screens, there will be other events such as concerts, the whole downtown will be glowing with lights, and they have even added a zipline on some of the skyscrapers - I'm so going on it

Even though there has been some controversy over the Games I really think it is going to be a great atmosphere, a big party, and a very memorable Games!

Custom Title
    I've lived in China a long time, and believe me, if I was as "disgusted" as you seem to think I am, i wouldn't have lasted past the first 6 months.
    Pity!

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    The judges "giving" the gold to thier favorites with no questions asked. That would ruin the games for me.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
    1: virtue and moir overscore
    2: patrick chan overscore
    3: joanie rochette ovescore
    4: dube and davison overscore

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    The judges "giving" the gold to thier favorites with no questions asked. That would ruin the games for me.
    ITA. And then a lot of nasty debate on the internet as a consequence.

Custom Title
    FWIW, there was a lot of bruhaha surrounding the Vancouver games as well. It's led to cutbacks in spending in other areas. Given that it's concurrent with a recession, people are very worried about layoffs in government ministries and loss of services. And people were protesting right from the beginning (spending the money elsewhere might be preferable). Given that Montreal took forever to pay off the Games, I can understand why people are concerned.

In terms of medals, I think the biggest disappointment would be if Canada didn't win Gold in Hockey. I think we're a favourite but not THE favourite.

Figure Skating wise...
    1. Canada only coming in with one medal
    2. Ice Dancing having two European Nations on the podium; or one and that one being DomShabs.
    3. Ladies having only one Asian skater on the podium (I want two).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2