Four Factors that Might Ruin Vancouver Olympics | Golden Skate

Four Factors that Might Ruin Vancouver Olympics

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Number one: Lack of snow on the Mountains - we are experiencing almost Spring like conditions here.

Number two: Mother nature and natural disasters - such as slides on the Sea-to-Sky Highway.

Number three: Olympic protesters and First Nation protesters who could shut down parts of the Sea-to-Sky Highway and some of our bridges. We are really good at organizing protests here in BC - especially Vancouver. Many Vancouverites are against the Olympics and are planning huge protests.

Number four: Our horrible traffic. Just about everyday there is an accident or traffic mishap which creats havoc on our freeways and bridges.

Any of the above could happen. It should be an interesting two weeks.

jennylovskt

Medalist
You have pictured a horrible scene! Don't those protesters have even a slightest sense of national pride?! Against it or not, the Olympics is here. They should just help it and let it go smoothly. Only two weeks!

BigJohn

On the Ice
My 4 factors would be:

1- No gold medal again as a host nation.

2- Canada being shut out of the medals for both men and women's teams for curling AND hockey.

3- Any kind of pro-seal-huntiing demonstration.

4- Any of the 2 D/S getting on the podium in ice dance.

Thank God, Mira Leung did not make the team. Things could have been worse.

Final Flight
1: virtue and moir overscore
2: patrick chan overscore
3: joanie rochette ovescore
4: dube and davison overscore

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
1: virtue and moir overscore
2: patrick chan overscore
3: joanie rochette ovescore
4: dube and davison overscore

In answer to you I would say Plushenko getting overscored.

You have pictured a horrible scene! Don't those protesters have even a slightest sense of national pride?! Against it or not, the Olympics is here. They should just help it and let it go smoothly. Only two weeks!

It's not a question of national pride. The Olympics has been shoved down our throats here since we got the Olympic bid. Plus our tax money is being wasted, not to mention the incoveniece it's putting some folks through to get to work everyday during the Olympics. We are also fed up with VANOC telling us what we can and cannot do. Most here will be glad when it is over.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigJohn

On the Ice
It's not a question of national pride. The Olympics has been shoved down our throats here since we got the Olympic bid. Plus our tax money is being wasted, not to mention the incoveniece it's putting some folks through to get to work everyday during the Olympics. We are also fed up with VANOC telling us what we can and cannot do. Most here will be glad when it is over.

That is why the Games should have gone to Quebec City. An actual winter town, with snow and temperature low enough to have frozen rivers. Les Quebecois would be proud to host the Games. We'll bid again for 2022.

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
Number one factor that will ruin the Vancouver Olympics for Canadians: men's hockey off the podium again! Of all the sports I've heard run-up for, nothing has been discussed more than hockey. You can't go in any major store without seeing Team Canada gear.

3- Any kind of pro-seal-huntiing demonstration.
Oh my! Can you imagine!? LOL

Honestly, I think the games will go very smoothly. Vancouver has been ready way ahead of schedule. Security will make sure the protesters don't marr the games. And Canadians are super excited about this; I know we are at our house!

jennylovskt

Medalist

I am stunned!

Do you know how Beijing Summer Olympics done? About a month before the Olympics, the officials ordered to practice the road rules during the Olympics. Cars and trucks with odd numbers could go on the road one day and with even numbers could go on the other day. The residents of Beijing gave up driving and bike riding and took the bus instead. There were a lot of extra bus routes just for those two weeks and the bus pices were very cheap. No complains. I think they were all very exciting and proud.

Last edited:

skatingbc

Final Flight

Well this Vancouverite can't wait! Walking around downtown, specifically False Creek area, is just fantastic. I know many people are upset but I think that once the Olympics are actually here they will feel differently. I think that this is the ultimate stimulus for our economy! Major tourism before the season even starts?! I think it's in our nature as British Columbians to protest!!

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
I am stunned!

Do you know how Beijing Summer Olympics done? About a month before the Olympics, the officials ordered to practice the road rules during the Olympics. Cars and trucks with odd numbers could go on the road one day and with even numbers could go on the other day. The residents of Beijing gave up driving and bike riding and took the bus instead. There were a lot of extra bus routes just for those two weeks and the bus pices were very cheap. No complains. I think they were all very exciting and proud.

Well, as a Beijing resident who was here during that entire time period, I can tell you that you have no idea what you are talking about. The Olympics was nothing but a pack of trouble that interfered with every facet of life--not just traffic patterns--and for a lot longer than one month beforehand + 2 weeks of Summer Games. There were LOTS of complaints from all quarters of the population. But the masses get no voice in China, and discontent was silenced and conveniently "sanitized" by the authorities for both internal and outside consumption. Which is perhaps why you have such a rosy view. Those "extra bus routes" were useless for the general population and bus prices are ALWAYS cheap in Beijing, 365 days a year with or without the Olympics. Nobody gave up their cars and bikes, though cars were restricted by days and routes. The Olympic Family/VIP's got their own dedicated lanes. The main reason traffic was better than usual was that every Beijinger (Chinese and expat) that was able to take a holiday at that time, LEFT TOWN to avoid the hassle.

Perhaps I shouldn't mention the fact that all the "undesireables" were shipped out of Beijing from late June to late September. We're not talking about a few groups here...I'm talking about over 1 million people (mostly migrants, but also most of the foreign student population that was seen as sources of agitators and demonstrators). Contrary to popular belief, economically there was no net benefit at the grassroots level, in fact, many small businesses (and some large) suffered due to lack of ability to move goods and get customers in the door. Normal summer tourist/visitor traffic--unconnected to the Games--went to nearly zero. Overbearing and paranoid security led to all having a real fun time...not! A great spectacle to be sure, and yes, there was plenty of Chinese National pride, but the Beijing Games had no soul and no spirit, just a generally weird vibe all around. Hopefully, Vancouver will find a better balance between the practical logistics, security, and a good atmosphere.

Last edited:

jennylovskt

Medalist
^^ I actually hesitated before I wrote down the word "No complains". I knew it might come back and haunt me.:biggrin: But from the people I have talked with who were Beijing residents and were there at the time, I got this idea. I appreciated that you've given the details of what were going on.

On the other hand, I can see where you were coming from because I know a bunch of them.

Last edited:

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
bisisjiejie-so interesting to hear your take on the Beijing games and how they were handled.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
bisisjiejie-so interesting to hear your take on the Beijing games and how they were handled.

Tip of the iceberg! But I don't want to divert this thread too much. Suffice it to say that the Beijing Olympics were not really so much about a Major Sporting Event that Welcomed the World. Instead, the 2008 Games were primarily a golden opportunity for the Chinese government to gorilla-chest beat its greatness to its own population. Secondarily was the "coming-out party" in front of the world that has been written about by many journalists before. And make no mistake about it, those Games were given by the central government of the Peoples Republic, NOT the City of Beijing. City just had to go along for the ride, with relatively minor inputs. There was great pressure from the official side to make everything Perfect, plus there was a great deal of security paranoia for both civil protests (unjustified) and for terrorism (justified, sadly in these times we live in).

But there is a big difference from Vancouver situation, not to mention most other previous Games given elsewhere. A totalitarian state can be massively efficient in its ability to channel resources and steamroll over the "messy bits" and perceived threats to harmony--like protesters, complainers, traffic chaos, etc. It's the closest thing there is to a wizard waving a wand and *poof*--things happen nearly instantaneously! But with this comes a lot of collateral damage, some obvious and some more hidden. I suspect VANOC and it's abilities to exert maximum control aren't even remotely close to what the Chinese equivalent (BOCOG) could do, with the weight of the central gov't behind it. But even though having a Games in a free society is more likely to have those disharmonious moments, it also has a better chance of producing an convivial atmosphere more in keeping with the stated Olympic spirit. My prediction is that Vancouver is going to put on a great Games, deal with the inevitable snafus reasonably well, and down the road....be remembered as a great Winter Olympics year. Much the same as Barcelona and Sydney are remembered for great recent Summer Games.

jennylovskt

Medalist
Tip of the iceberg! But I don't want to divert this thread too much. Suffice it to say that the Beijing Olympics were not really so much about a Major Sporting Event that Welcomed the World. Instead, the 2008 Games were primarily a golden opportunity for the Chinese government to gorilla-chest beat its greatness to its own population. Secondarily was the "coming-out party" in front of the world that has been written about by many journalists before. And make no mistake about it, those Games were given by the central government of the Peoples Republic, NOT the City of Beijing. City just had to go along for the ride, with relatively minor inputs. There was great pressure from the official side to make everything Perfect, plus there was a great deal of security paranoia for both civil protests (unjustified) and for terrorism (justified, sadly in these times we live in).

But there is a big difference from Vancouver situation, not to mention most other previous Games given elsewhere. A totalitarian state can be massively efficient in its ability to channel resources and steamroll over the "messy bits" and perceived threats to harmony--like protesters, complainers, traffic chaos, etc. It's the closest thing there is to a wizard waving a wand and *poof*--things happen nearly instantaneously! But with this comes a lot of collateral damage, some obvious and some more hidden. I suspect VANOC and it's abilities to exert maximum control aren't even remotely close to what the Chinese equivalent (BOCOG) could do, with the weight of the central gov't behind it. But even though having a Games in a free society is more likely to have those disharmonious moments, it also has a better chance of producing an convivial atmosphere more in keeping with the stated Olympic spirit. My prediction is that Vancouver is going to put on a great Games, deal with the inevitable snafus reasonably well, and down the road....be remembered as a great Winter Olympics year. Much the same as Barcelona and Sydney are remembered for great recent Summer Games.

Now who has no idea what she's talking about?! Obviously you do not have the sense of the pride that the Chinese people have (I mean people, not the government). I feel so sorry for you that you have to live and work in such a place where you feel so disgust.;)

Last edited:

dlgpffps

Final Flight
Now who has no idea what she's talking about?! Obviously you do not have the sense of the pride that the Chinese people have (I mean people, not the government). I feel so sorry for you that you have to live and work in such a place where you feel so disgust.;)

Well, I don't think she feels disgust for China. The words she used are not words that connote disgust -- perhaps a sense of amusement, maybe exasperation, but definitely not disgust.

You mentioned Chinese pride. The Chinese people had good reason to be proud, as it was an impressive display, but they had pride in part because they considered it an opportunity to declare China's rising prominence in exorbitant fashion, make solid and make known its new role as an eminent global player. I know this firsthand from speaking with Chinese people, and I think this is what bigsisjiejie was referring to. Remember the 60th Anniversary of PRC? There were a number of articles on the event, which emphasized the government's desire to show the world and its people just how strong and stable it is. In NYT alone, there were three. The Chinese government likes to show off -- so what? All governments do. It inspires in citizens a sense of pride, and it's an Asian thing -- the losing, keeping face business. No reason to get flustered :)

I was in Beijing right before the Olympics, Shanghai recently (right before the 2010 expo), and I'm in Guangzhou at the moment (2010 Asian Games). I can't speak for the Canadian government's approach to preparing for the Olympics, but I think the Chinese take it to a whole new level. The amazing thing, though, is that the Chinese don't make such a fuss about it. My Chinese friends didn't care so much about all the inconvenience leading up to the Games, while my American friends made a huge deal. I guess foreign and local reactions differ, in part, because of differences in culture. East Asian people often believe it's OK to go through some discomfort if it's for the benefit of the the unit of which they're part (e.g. their nation), while Western people put the individual's rights and needs over the unit's.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I remember Alaska being asked to be an olympics bid for teh 2002 olympics and our governor at the time (Knowles-D) decided against it because it was too much $$ for the state to shell out, and he didn't want to deal with teh headache. not taking into account that South Central AK, where it would be held, were willing and ready.

oh well, one day maybe.

jennylovskt

Medalist
You mentioned Chinese pride. The Chinese people had good reason to be proud, as it was an impressive display, but they had pride in part because they considered it an opportunity to declare China's rising prominence in exorbitant fashion, make solid and make known its new role as an eminent global player. I know this firsthand from speaking with Chinese people, and I think this is what bigsisjiejie was referring to. Remember the 60th Anniversary of PRC? There were a number of articles on the event, which emphasized the government's desire to show the world and its people just how strong and stable it is. In NYT alone, there were three. The Chinese government likes to show off -- so what? All governments do. It inspires in citizens a sense of pride, and it's an Asian thing -- the losing, keeping face business. No reason to get flustered :)

I was in Beijing right before the Olympics, Shanghai recently (right before the 2010 expo), and I'm in Guangzhou at the moment (2010 Asian Games). I can't speak for the Canadian government's approach to preparing for the Olympics, but I think the Chinese take it to a whole new level. The amazing thing, though, is that the Chinese don't make such a fuss about it. My Chinese friends didn't care so much about all the inconvenience leading up to the Games, while my American friends made a huge deal. I guess foreign and local reactions differ, in part, because of differences in culture. East Asian people often believe it's OK to go through some discomfort if it's for the benefit of the the unit of which they're part (e.g. their nation), while Western people put the individual's rights and needs over the unit's.

This is a much closer to reality evaluation. Thanks, dlgpffps! The Chinese people were willing, not forced to do it. Though my previous post of "no complains" was not accurate. The vast majority of Chinese people put the sense of national pride on the top and understood and accepted the sacrifices they had to make. Such willingness was not forced. Otherwise, you won't see over 2000 people in one performance acted like one person at the opening ceremony.

Any way, Canada is my country. I wish the Vancouver Olympics goes smoothly. Can't expect it to be as grand as the Beijing Olympics though.

Last edited:

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
^^^jenny, you are really misunderstanding me. I've lived in China a long time, and believe me, if I was as "disgusted" as you seem to think I am, i wouldn't have lasted past the first 6 months. Dlgpffps is closer to getting it. And he is correct in identifying that East Asian societies traditionally favor sacrificing for the collective purpose rather than focus on individualism (though that is certainly changing rapidly in today's urban China). I get the distinct impression you are ethnic Chinese yourself, either an immigrant to Canada or a CBC. Right? You are awfully defensive. And I still believe you are interpreting 2008 Olympics through rose-colored classes, selectively, not for things as they truly were. I remain steadfast in my assertion that 2008 was first and foremost targeted to the domestic masses for Love the Motherland purposes....and secondarily was a World Sporting Event. If you disagree with me, fine, but no point in arguing. I was present and will not change my opinion, and I am far from alone in that opinion.

As for "grand" it depends how you define it--
1) Few countries are going to be able to spend the kind of cash that the Chinese government did. But then, most western countries aren't insecure enough to feel that hosting a 2-week international sporting event is going to affect their general non-sport domestic or international standing, in the big scheme of things. And some things of value can't be bought for any price.
2) Winter Olympics are inherently less of a spectacle than Summer Olympics anyway, fewer countries, fewer athletes, fewer events, and sports that generally appeal to narrower segments of the general population (hockey being a possible exception).
3) Grand can be defined in terms of big fancy facilities, Opening Ceremonies with casts of thousands, and similar. Or they can be defined as Grand in Spirit, with lots of collegiality, cammeraderie, and a great international party. You can have spectacle without substance or spirit. Based on the comments of multiple acquaintances who have each attended about 5-7 Summer and Winter Games apiece (yes there are some of those hardcore Olympic fans out there) , they noted Beijing for its strangely unfriendly and paranoid atmosphere, unlike anything they'd ever experienced at any other Olympics. But on the other hand, all have high hopes for Vancouver.

i love to skate

Medalist
2) Winter Olympics are inherently less of a spectacle than Summer Olympics anyway, fewer countries, fewer athletes, fewer events, and sports that generally appeal to narrower segments of the general population (hockey being a possible exception).

See I much prefer the Winter Olympics for this very reason. The Summer Games have become too big, too many sports, too many athletes - and now every sport wants to get in on the action. With the Winter Games at least there is only so much you can do on ice or snow and that helps keep the numbers in check.

3) Grand can be defined in terms of big fancy facilities, Opening Ceremonies with casts of thousands, and similar. Or they can be defined as Grand in Spirit, with lots of collegiality, cammeraderie, and a great international party. You can have spectacle without substance or spirit. Based on the comments of multiple acquaintances who have each attended about 5-7 Summer and Winter Games apiece (yes there are some of those hardcore Olympic fans out there) , they noted Beijing for its strangely unfriendly and paranoid atmosphere, unlike anything they'd ever experienced at any other Olympics. But on the other hand, all have high hopes for Vancouver.

Yes, the Vancouver officials went to Beijing and said while it was a great show, organized very well, clean, etc. there was no atmosphere on the streets. Vancouver wants it to be a party downtown and it really is going to be I think. There are many outdoor party spaces where you can watch events on big screens, there will be other events such as concerts, the whole downtown will be glowing with lights, and they have even added a zipline on some of the skyscrapers - I'm so going on it :)

Even though there has been some controversy over the Games I really think it is going to be a great atmosphere, a big party, and a very memorable Games!