About low level in Euro Ladies | Golden Skate

About low level in Euro Ladies

Vlad

On the Ice
Hi all!Well,the European Championships was very interesting.But what do you think about euro ladies skating levels?We can compare them with US.And I think the US ladies looks much more stronger.Am I wrong?
http://worldskating.blogspot.com

Yschntä

Rinkside
I think so, too. Only Carolina has chances to win an olympic medal when she skates her best. She's on the best way. But for the other European ladies I don't see any chances. When I watched the Europeans I also thought that they skate at a quite weak level, except for Caro.

Big Deal

Final Flight
Neither the Americans has good level in ladies section.
Asians are far the best one's.
The only one who can have a slight chance to be in the top 6 is Kostner.
If she should do everything she is capable, also a medal can be reachable.
She is the most "balletic" woman out there, but terribly inconsistent.
With this performance there is no chance to get higher than 7-8 ( I hope the level will be high in Vancouver)!

Ivana

On the Ice
I don't think that level in ladies in US and for the record also in Canada is higher then in Europe. North America has Rochette who can finish in Top 6 and Europe has Kostner (thanks to her name, for me she's at the same level as Lepisto, Korpi & Gedevanishvili, but that's another story). The top ladies are comming from Asia.

figuristka

Medalist
I would not say the US ladies are stronger than Carolina, or perhaps even Laura in the short program. Right now Yu na Kim, and Mao are the highest level, but Joannie, Miki, Akiko , are not far behind. Carolina could rank with them also if she skates cleanly with a 3-3.Though Korea, Japan and Canada still have the better chance.

Last edited:

Vlad

On the Ice
Yes,Asia has a great skaters.....Hmm But how they achieve so high level?Maybe it's depends of the national culture or because of something else....Also I agree about Carolina.She can skate in a great level but the question is in stability.Hope she will try her best at the Olympics

ankka

Rinkside
I think many European ladies have great potential but absolutely terrible nerves. Most of them shine in practice but when it comes to competition they just loose it. Laura and Kiira both have the amazing ability to start getting nervous in the middle of the program after a great start and I guess that's the case with Carolina as well.

shine

Record Breaker
I don't think that level in ladies in US and for the record also in Canada is higher then in Europe. North America has Rochette who can finish in Top 6 and Europe has Kostner (thanks to her name, for me she's at the same level as Lepisto, Korpi & Gedevanishvili, but that's another story). The top ladies are comming from Asia.
But why are you comparing an entire continent to a country? :scratch:
I'm sorry, but the level of skating at US ladies nationals alone was better than the level at a Euros.

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
I don't really understand why any comparison is useful or proves anything - we're discussing who's fighting to win the wooden spoon? :laugh:

Neither the ladies at Europeans, nore US nationals set the world alight and any of those ladies would have been hard pushed for a top 5 finish on the world stage so i'm not sure either continent/country should be really jumping for joy at the moment ;)

Let's hope that these ladies can stay on their feet and rotate their triples if they are to have any hope of making it into the final group of skaters for the LP.

Ant

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes,Asia has a great skaters.....Hmm But how they achieve so high level?Maybe it's depends of the national culture or because of something else....Also I agree about Carolina.She can skate in a great level but the question is in stability.Hope she will try her best at the Olympics

Yes, I don't see either of our US ladies this year doing better than top 5 to 10 at Olympics. And it isn't US ladies' dedication, it's the training they received here. They learned their jumps when learning the lutz at a young age was the only thing. It seemed to me as a fan that no one cared that much what edge they took off on or whether the jump was 1/4 underrotated. What they cared about was bendy spins and spirals & a nice layback, ala Sasha, and that they not look too muscular ala Tonya Harding. Course Tonya could jump.... Coincidently, all that bendiness was not that great for their spines and hips, and some of them had troubles at quite a young age.

Now that the rules are different, I hope the training of little skaters will stress correct technique more here in the US, but it will be some years before we see the fruits of that change, if indeed it happens.