92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brian Boitano

62 67.39%
  • Brian Orser

24 26.09%
  • Don't know

6 6.52%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Battle of the Brians - who would get your vote?

Rooting for the Kerrs!

The Battle of the Brians - who would get your vote?

This was undoubtedly one of the closest competitions ever. Out of the two performances given on the night, who would you have given the gold to?

I saw that when I was 3, don't have a tape of it(I'd love to though!) so I can't really say... Brian Boitano was technically brilliant... but I love Brian Orser's artistry and find it 10 million times better than Boitano's... so I don't know but I probably would have gone for whoever was the most artistic

I'll say my vote would go to Kurt Browning LOL

Custom Title
    At the time I thought that the right Brian won. Had the same opinion again as I got a tape maybe four years ago. I also liked Orser´s skating very much.

Marjaana

I believe the right Brian won (Boitano's sp from the 1988 Olympics is my favorite). As professionals they both developed into better skaters. I like them both.

Custom Title
    Brian Boitano deserved the gold without question. He skated with precise command and technical gusto. I probably would have given Orser the edge presentation wise...but just by a fraction. Boitano had that Olympic "fire" and Orser, though wonderful to watch, just had one too many technical errors. If he had just botched the flip or the axel separately the outcome might have been different, but those two flaws combined were just enough to put the Gold out of reach.

Brian Boitano. He had that special something that night.

Custom Title
    On most nights I would pick Brian Orser because of his artistic ability and he could match Boitano with 3Axels.

In Calgary I would have marked Boitano as the winner. That program was brilliantly skated.

Rogue Leader
    I have to agree about Boitano. I've never been a fan of his skating, but he was great that night. My heart broke for Brian Orser. He wanted it so badly, and he was at home too. He was also Canada's only hope for a gold medal. But that's the way the cookie crumbles. I'm glad to see they've both had such long lasting careers.

Medalist
    Hmm - I thought that Brian Orser should have won the gold in 88 and I still hold that opinion today after watching the free skates of both Brians. And I know a few more things about skating than I did then, LOL. Maybe it's because ice dancing was what started my interest in the sport in 84, but I thought that Brian Orser's "in-betweens" and choreo were much more interesting than Boitano's. Also - Boitano's second triple axel was definitely two-footed. It was an admirable attempt (especially at the time, when landing *one* was still considered quite a technical feat) but still not clean. I felt that made him and Orser about even on the technical mark, and that Orser had him quite easily on the second mark. But of course, that's just my opinion.

On the Ice
    Watching it in the UK, several years younger than I am now (!), I wanted Boitano to win, simply based on aesthetics.

I realise I'm in the minority though.

xx

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Brian Orser gets my vote "hands down." I think Brian Boitano had a lot of media "hype" from the US before he skated. Brian Orser simply gave way to all the pressure he was under about the "battle of the Brians" and lost his concentration momentarily. Artistically, his program was better. But Boitano did have an "ace" in up his sleeve - Sandra Bezic - she made a better artistic skater of him and brought out his strengths.

I love the skating of both Brians, and it broke my heart to see Orser not win another Olympics.........but, artistically, I think Boitano had the slight edge. Technically, they were a toss up. 42

http://p068.ezboard.com/bstrawberrycanyonfsc

hmmm

Here's a theoretical question...who do you guys think would've won in 88, had Orser won 84?

........I think if Orser had gone pro after 84, Scott would still be in the mix and the battle may have been between Brian and Scott...........If both had skated their best, I would give the win to Scott based on his huge popularity, speed on the ice and footwork..........that would make Brian B. trying for the 1992 Olympics........wow, this could go on and on........... 42

Custom Title

Thumbs up The battle of the Brians

Brian Boitano gets my vote every time. He is the best and one of my favorites. There is no question in my mind that he skated the best that night and deserved the gold medal. I love BB and have been a fan of his forever.

Happy New Year
    diamond

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast