Smuckers Skating Spectacular 2010 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Smuckers Skating Spectacular 2010

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Johnny rocked. Scott is silly for not having him on SOI. He always seems to have a weird attitude about Johnny when he's commentating. Whatever.

he seems to be warming up to him this year. he's not stupid, he knows Johnny will bring in viewers... same way Toller Cranston did in the early stages of SOI...

however he can only add so many skaters before they have to make the tickets too expensive... more skaters = more paychecks = higher than they already are prices for those in the seats.

R.D.

Record Breaker
however he can only add so many skaters before they have to make the tickets too expensive... more skaters = more paychecks = higher than they already are prices for those in the seats.

Not like it's already expensive or anything...

jennylovskt

Medalist
I've seen conflicting information on his exact height. Some sources say 5'9"; others say 5'10". :)

Thanks! If Johnny is 5'9'', I would definitely believe that Jeremy is 5'10" because it was very clear that Jeremy was taller than Johnny on the podium.

... It was great seeing all the past Gold Metal winners but I also wish they would start with the bronze, silver and then last bring the Gold Metal winners out. It would be great to acknowledge all of them as very few skaters make it to participate and then win a metal in the Olmypics.

I like that part too. However I can't help but feel that Tara Lapinski and Sarah Hughes were too lucky and feel a little loss for Michelle Kwan.

I love, love, love Jeremy Abbott's skating and loved his Exhibition number, he really had so much variety in it and he looked elegant and smooth on the ice and his hand positions, etc. blend in with the music, plus he can jump, spin, do it all.

That is the best of his skating - an artistic skater who can jump.:rock:

he seems to be warming up to him this year. he's not stupid, he knows Johnny will bring in viewers... same way Toller Cranston did in the early stages of SOI...

OT:
Since SOI has been mentioned, I have a question about SOI. On its website, it only lists a few US skaters as performers of this year. Is there any big names from other countries? SOI is coming to my city, but if it's just the names listed on there, it's not that attractive to me.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Not like it's already expensive or anything...

that's my point...

OT:
Since SOI has been mentioned, I have a question about SOI. On its website, it only lists a few US skaters as performers of this year. Is there any big names from other countries? SOI is coming to my city, but if it's just the names listed on there, it's not that atractive to me.

honestly don't know. I don't like their website all that much. it seems horribly outdated... I don't know what the full cast list is, but when I looked at it earlier this season it looked incredibly small. makes me wonder if SOI is going to last much longer.

shine

Record Breaker
People seriously liked Evan's and Jeremy's? :rofl:

Jeremy's wasn't bad, but his shirt was a disaster. It kept bunching in his shoulders so he looked like a hunchback. It was a serious costume malfunction. Besides that the program did nothing for me.

Evan... well I can't say much about that, he fell and almost fell again... that's not supposed to happen in Gala performances. I can't believe Scott would rather have him on SOI than Johnny.

Johnny was the absolute star of the evening. I've seen every performance of "Poker Face" and that was his best. Amazing. :clap: That's what an Exhibition is supposed to be FUN, and to show off your best talents and personality.

S/B were also fun with their Disco, and Mirai was adorable as usual. All the Ice Dancers were good. Johnny was the best man. I don't like Rachael at all.

Oh yes and Nathan Chan was the cutest thing ever. Peter and the Wolf, so cute. I can't believe he'll only be 18 in 2018! He's a genius. The next Brian Boitano? :)

Well, you know, Johnny Weir never in his career once did anything for me.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The reason why so many of the top 3 skated two programs was that most of the 4th-6th finishers are on their way to Korea for 4CC. Some of them would have performed in the gala.

What are the reasons for taking ice shows as serious as competitive skating?

Those skaters in the Gala are all hyped up to go to Vancouver. Not at their best? So what?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
What are the reasons for taking ice shows as serious as competitive skating?

Those skaters in the Gala are all hyped up to go to Vancouver. Not at their best? So what?

couldn't agree with you more, Joe!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Neither Jeremy or Evan seemed to have thier feet under them.
My favorite skate of the night were Mark and Evora. She still looked like she was in a blissful shock and it was a beautiful program.

I am suprised that Sasha did not skate in the exhbition. The crowd would have loved to see her. As somebody else mentioned we often have 4th place finishers skating, but most are going to 4CC. Sasha was not named to the 4CC team which is a wonder to me, so I don't see why they didn't ask her to stay for the exhibition.

Last edited by a moderator:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
All of the top ladies were invited to 4CC, but Rachael, Ashley and Sasha turned it down because they were all focused on Vancouver. It was decided beforehand that the Olympic team would not be going to 4CC because it would take away a big chunk of practice time right before Vancouver.

I'm also sure Sasha was invited to perform in the exhibition, but she probably declined. I think her injury flared up after her SP and the only cure is rest.

If some of the skaters seemed not at their best, they were probably exhausted. Also, the top men had finished their competitions a week beforehand, and got little if any practice time after that.

Moxie

On the Ice
If some of the skaters seemed not at their best, they were probably exhausted. Also, the top men had finished their competitions a week beforehand, and got little if any practice time after that.

Vancouver is just around the corner, they should all still be training hard. :p
Jeremy's twitter implied that he went back to Michigan in between. So he was probably exausted from all the shuffling back and forth he had to do. Shame on USFSA for kowtowing to NBC's two-week demands in an Olympic year.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Neither Jeremy or Evan seemed to have thier feet under them.

WHA??? Did we watch the same exhibition gala? In his first program, Jeremy landed cleanly a 3flip+3toe combination, a 3Axel, and a 2Lutz (really his only "error" of the entire gala if you can even call it that, considering it was a show version of his SP). In his second program, he landed cleanly a 3Lutz, a 2Axel, a 3Salchow, and a 3toe (little forward on the landing but clean). That's a lot of content for show skating. How in the world were his feet not under him? He didn't fall. :scratch:

Last edited:

futureidol

On the Ice
Well, you know, Johnny Weir never in his career once did anything for me.

That's a shame. Stéphane is my second favorite skater and most Johnny fans agree. I thought the same would apply in reverse, but I guess not. They both have amazing gala pieces, have wonderful artistry, and have been good friends since childhood. Love them to death. Takahashi as well. All male skaters that aren't afraid to be artists first are golden in my book.

futureidol

On the Ice
some are gifted in that area, others aren't... I like a healthy mix of both, thanks.

Well of course that is the ideal. But when I think of past skaters I've loved, I think more about their skating as a whole and how their body expressed itself on the ice, rather than if they landed 8 triples or 2 quads or whatever. I've always been more of a footwork, spins, and choreography lover when it comes to Men's skating. I hope the next Olympic gold medalist has the total package jumps and artistry included.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I like the skater who entertains me, and I have no idea what it is about it - because my likes aren't all the same type of skater...

and not all of them are hot ;) (just incase Joesitz tries to suggest that's the common thread :laugh: )