Smuckers Skating Spectacular 2010 | Golden Skate

Smuckers Skating Spectacular 2010

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
Does anyone know if this is going to be aired on TV or on IceNetwork?
Thank you! :)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
well NBC has skating this afternoon and during prime time again today. first broadcast looks to be a repeat of last night's free skate...the one during primetime only says "countdown to vancouver" so I don't know if it's an exhibition or a recap or what?

100yen

Medalist
Ok! Thank you.
I hope Ice Network has rights to the gala :p Knowing NBC they'll only show the top 2 senior winners or something =__=

100yen

Medalist
Turns out the prime time chunk of skating being aired on NBC is in fact the gala :)

DesertRoad

Final Flight
Pfft, Nathan Chen totally under rotated that 3sal. Just kidding! He wasn't just adorable, but the footwork and transitions and command of the ice was at a higher level than a lot of senior skaters.

Massive fail on the part of the lighting and camera work for Samuelson and Bates' disco routing, causing us to miss most of Bates' solo moves. But still, fun!

And speaking of campy, Johnny must've been inspired by his recent Lady Gaga concert, because he vamped the hell out of that performance of Poker Face.

DesertRoad

Final Flight
Did we really need to see that parade of corpses? I know zombies and the undead are popular now, but let's save it for the movies.

After a slew of inspired and energetic song choices, Jeremy brings it all down with an insipid ballad from Michael Bublé. I hope Rachael Flatt can salvage some of this.

Nope. She uses a techno remake of Fame that sounds more dated than the original. Painful.

Last edited:
I like competitions approximately 1000 times more than exhibitions, so there were just a few things I really enjoyed in the gala. Nathan Chen was the highlight. WOW, what an amazing young athlete. He sounded so focused.

I also loved Johnny ... I never get sick of "Poker Face," it's one of the most stunning exhibitions I've ever seen.

Evora and Ladwig were beautiful. Are their lifts the best in the bus?

I also loved the gathering of past OGMS, especially seeing the old ones some of whom I didn't even know were still alive! :clap: :bow: :rock:

Besides that, everything else blended together for me in an endless stream of shoulder wiggling and vamping to music that all sounded alike. I do take my hat off to Evan, D/W and young Nathan (who couldn't live with his mistakes in the competition!) who dared to do their competition numbers in this gala.

I missed the first 18 minutes so I may have overlooked something stellar. They seem to have omitted Sasha, so phooey on them. :disagree:

On to Vancouver!

Lissy

Medalist
I actually don't like when skaters use their current competitive programs at the galas for competitions. I don't mind if it is for a random show but for competion galas, we have already seen those programs. They should skate to other songs. I don't mind if they skate to previous programs or songs they have competed with in the past.

DesertRoad

Final Flight
I actually don't like when skaters use their current competitive programs at the galas for competitions. I don't mind if it is for a random show but for competion galas, we have already seen those programs. They should skate to other songs. I don't mind if they skate to previous programs or songs they have competed with in the past.

All the senior skaters who skated their competitive programs on this show actually had exhibition programs. Apparently, they were told to do encores of their previous performances by the powers that be. Not a very wise decision. Been there, done that, and in most cases, done better, too.

Lissy

Medalist
All the senior skaters who skated their competitive programs on this show actually had exhibition programs. Apparently, they were told to do encores of their previous performances by the powers that be. Not a very wise decision. Been there, done that, and in most cases, done better, too.

That explains it. I hope they air the actual exhibitions.