Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Smuckers Skating Spectacular 2010

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Anyone know why Rachel performed two routines?
    Rachael, Jeremy, Meryl and Charlie, and Caydee and Jeremy all performed twice. As Dee mentioned, first they did one of their competitive programs, then an exhibition at the end.

Why? I think it was to allow Scott Hamilton to take the ice and ham it up a little in interviews/introductions of the skaters.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Rachael, Jeremy, Meryl and Charlie, and Caydee and Jeremy all performed twice. As Dee mentioned, first they did one of their competitive programs, then an exhibition at the end.
    Oh, I see.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    I like competitions approximately 1000 times more than exhibitions, so there were just a few things I really enjoyed in the gala. Nathan Chen was the highlight. WOW, what an amazing young athlete. He sounded so focused.
    Nathan Chen
    Nathan Chen

Custom Title
    Posted this elsewhere but I thought some of you might enjoy this local story about Nathan Chen http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=9436198
    He actually came home in between competition and the gala. He seems so serious. Probably just shy.

I also noticed he did a 3/loop in exhibitions. First time I've seen him do a loop.
    Last edited by A.H.Black; 01-25-2010 at 03:41 PM.

Custom Title
    OMG, OMG, Nathan Chan is SO Adorable! This kid totally stole the spotlight of the night! I'll root for him in 2018! Go Nathan!

I have faith in the swan futureidol's Avatar
    People seriously liked Evan's and Jeremy's?

Jeremy's wasn't bad, but his shirt was a disaster. It kept bunching in his shoulders so he looked like a hunchback. It was a serious costume malfunction. Besides that the program did nothing for me.

Evan... well I can't say much about that, he fell and almost fell again... that's not supposed to happen in Gala performances. I can't believe Scott would rather have him on SOI than Johnny.

Johnny was the absolute star of the evening. I've seen every performance of "Poker Face" and that was his best. Amazing. That's what an Exhibition is supposed to be FUN, and to show off your best talents and personality.

S/B were also fun with their Disco, and Mirai was adorable as usual. All the Ice Dancers were good. Johnny was the best man. I don't like Rachael at all.

Oh yes and Nathan Chan was the cutest thing ever. Peter and the Wolf, so cute. I can't believe he'll only be 18 in 2018! He's a genius. The next Brian Boitano?

Tripping on the Podium
    Anyone have links to videos? Particularly Jeremy, Johnny and Ashley?

Medalist
    So no one else was squicked out by Denney/Barrett skating to "You Can Leave Your Hat On"?

Medalist
    Johnny rocked. Scott is silly for not having him on SOI. He always seems to have a weird attitude about Johnny when he's commentating. Whatever.
    I also enjoyed the Pairs (Denney and what's-his-name).

I've already forgotten the other performers, cept for Evan and his stumbles. hehe Did no one tell him the Gala was not a competition?

Oh, but that Chen kid was a riot! Can't wait to see him grow up. He was amazing.

On the Ice
    The show was good and a very nice send off to the skaters. . It was great seeing all the past Gold Metal winners but I also wish they would start with the bronze, silver and then last bring the Gold Metal winners out. It would be great to acknowledge all of them as very few skaters make it to participate and then win a metal in the Olmypics.

Nathan Chan was cute. Wish him luck in the future.

Belbin/Agosto are very good but Davis/White were outstanding.

I love, love, love Jeremy Abbott's skating and loved his Exhibition number, he really had so much variety in it and he looked elegant and smooth on the ice and his hand positions, etc. blend in with the music, plus he can jump, spin, do it all.
    Last edited by Nan; 01-25-2010 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Eyes View Post
    Johnny rocked. Scott is silly for not having him on SOI. He always seems to have a weird attitude about Johnny when he's commentating. Whatever.
    he seems to be warming up to him this year. he's not stupid, he knows Johnny will bring in viewers... same way Toller Cranston did in the early stages of SOI...

however he can only add so many skaters before they have to make the tickets too expensive... more skaters = more paychecks = higher than they already are prices for those in the seats.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    however he can only add so many skaters before they have to make the tickets too expensive... more skaters = more paychecks = higher than they already are prices for those in the seats.
    Not like it's already expensive or anything...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    I've seen conflicting information on his exact height. Some sources say 5'9"; others say 5'10".
    Thanks! If Johnny is 5'9'', I would definitely believe that Jeremy is 5'10" because it was very clear that Jeremy was taller than Johnny on the podium.

Quote Originally Posted by Nan View Post
    ... It was great seeing all the past Gold Metal winners but I also wish they would start with the bronze, silver and then last bring the Gold Metal winners out. It would be great to acknowledge all of them as very few skaters make it to participate and then win a metal in the Olmypics.
    I like that part too. However I can't help but feel that Tara Lapinski and Sarah Hughes were too lucky and feel a little loss for Michelle Kwan.

Quote Originally Posted by Nan View Post
    I love, love, love Jeremy Abbott's skating and loved his Exhibition number, he really had so much variety in it and he looked elegant and smooth on the ice and his hand positions, etc. blend in with the music, plus he can jump, spin, do it all.
    That is the best of his skating - an artistic skater who can jump.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    he seems to be warming up to him this year. he's not stupid, he knows Johnny will bring in viewers... same way Toller Cranston did in the early stages of SOI...

OT:
    Since SOI has been mentioned, I have a question about SOI. On its website, it only lists a few US skaters as performers of this year. Is there any big names from other countries? SOI is coming to my city, but if it's just the names listed on there, it's not that attractive to me.
    Last edited by jennylovskt; 01-25-2010 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Not like it's already expensive or anything...
    that's my point...

Quote Originally Posted by jennylovskt View Post
    OT:
    Since SOI has been mentioned, I have a question about SOI. On its website, it only lists a few US skaters as performers of this year. Is there any big names from other countries? SOI is coming to my city, but if it's just the names listed on there, it's not that atractive to me.
    honestly don't know. I don't like their website all that much. it seems horribly outdated... I don't know what the full cast list is, but when I looked at it earlier this season it looked incredibly small. makes me wonder if SOI is going to last much longer.

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by futureidol View Post
    People seriously liked Evan's and Jeremy's?

Jeremy's wasn't bad, but his shirt was a disaster. It kept bunching in his shoulders so he looked like a hunchback. It was a serious costume malfunction. Besides that the program did nothing for me.

Evan... well I can't say much about that, he fell and almost fell again... that's not supposed to happen in Gala performances. I can't believe Scott would rather have him on SOI than Johnny.

Johnny was the absolute star of the evening. I've seen every performance of "Poker Face" and that was his best. Amazing. That's what an Exhibition is supposed to be FUN, and to show off your best talents and personality.

S/B were also fun with their Disco, and Mirai was adorable as usual. All the Ice Dancers were good. Johnny was the best man. I don't like Rachael at all.

Oh yes and Nathan Chan was the cutest thing ever. Peter and the Wolf, so cute. I can't believe he'll only be 18 in 2018! He's a genius. The next Brian Boitano?
    Well, you know, Johnny Weir never in his career once did anything for me.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast