Ladies LP results | Golden Skate

Ladies LP results

bleuchick

On the Ice
Jennifer must have watched her SP from the night before 1000s times and successfully avoided the same mistakes that she had made earlier. I think that helped.

Bummer for the ladies - Annie has improved but is no way near the top skaters. Joanne is close but she needs to gets it all together.

Too bad Yukina Ota couldn't keep up her momentum from the SP. Still, a fine start in her first senior Grand Prix event.

Mathman

qoo

Rinkside
Although Yukina was the 4th overall, I thought she did really great. (Her LP has such a beautiful flow throughout.. definitely worth checking out. Hope ABC shows both of her programs.. I can't wait to hear what Dick will say about her performance.

Fossi

Final Flight
This is the second competition in a row that Sasha was outskated in the LP, but still won overall. Is this due to her huge lead in the SP? I read that Sasha violated the zayak rule, was she marked down in the LP? And she didn't have a combination. Arawkaas (can't spell, sorry) totally outskated her. Did the detailed scores reflect this?

dewet

Final Flight
1 Sasha COHEN USA 126.48
2 Shizuka ARAKAWA JPN 123.99

Those were the scores in the long program. So Sasha won both portions, but the detailed scores aren't out yet.

lulu

Final Flight
I think Shizuka did get a higher TES score than Sasha in the LP-but Sasha's lead in the SP and the TCS LP were enough to give her the lead.

Fossi

Final Flight
I read on another board that they gave Sasha credit for a combo she didn't do, and didn't mark her down about 4pts for violating the zayak rule. In other words, Sasha was held up. That is so unfair! Arakawa should have won that LP and those judges cheated.

Jennifer and Annie must have skated exceptionally to pull themselves up as they did I'm sure we will not see it on ABC, unfortunately.

I still think Yukina is a force to be dealt with next year. Sasha and Shizuka are seasoned skaters so no surprise.

Alas poor Elena, pull it together. You are the most technical of technical skaters in the Women's Division

Fossi - When the contest is shown on TV, I will be watching for what you are reporting:

Credit for a no combo? It's possible. The judges are given a list of the technical elements to be skated. Sasha may have just left that combo out for whatever reason. If so, she should not have been given credit for it.

Also the Zayak Rule. What jump did she repeat?

Joe

Lanie

On the Ice
I downloaded Sasha's LP and she didn't do a combination... she put her hand down on a 2nd lutz instead of the flip she's been doing, so I guess she was gonna go for the combo there...

Jump elements:
3lutz, leaning a little forward, so no 2toe after
3flip
3loop
2axel
3toe
3lutz fell out - she was probably going to put the 2toe in after, but with falling out she couldn't
3salchow

Last edited:
Hi Lanie - I think what Fossi meant was that Sasha was suppoed to do a combo and didn't, yet she was marked for doing it. Sounds crazy to me but we would need:

A list of the elements (given to the Judges and Caller) and see if there was a combo planned.

Then we would watch the skate and see if she left that combo out.

If it was on the list and she left it out (her option, I believe) but was marked for it, then again I must say crazy.

Any chance of you getting the proposed list of elements?

Joe

bleuchick

On the Ice
I saw Sasha'S LP for the second time after Skate America and Campbell. Well, she seemed tentative and sometimes slow but she still did a great job out there.

Lanie

On the Ice
Ooh, okay. Well, here are the details results for the ladies free skate: Final Results. Looks like Sasha did NOT get credit for the combination.

rain

Record Breaker
Ladies LP

Looking at the Canadian ladies is painful. I'm Canadian, by the way. To see that Jennifer Robinson is the best of the lot is beyond painful. They just don't seem to have that competitive drive that other countries seem to produce. I don't know why, but it's been a problem for years. I think Joannie Rochette shows the most potential. On the whole none of the three of them had an LP to write home about.

Yukina Ota: I love this new skater. Her SP was brilliant. I think her inexperience in the senior ranks started to show a bit in her LP, but I think she'll get it together. Beautiful jumper, with no weaknesses in any of the other areas either. Look forward to seeing more of her.

Sokolova: Ouch. That's really all there is to say, except that if I was her I'd be ditching some of the early season competitions to put in the time necessary on the practice ice.

Shizuka Arakawa: Gorgeous performance. She's starting to get comfortable with this very dramatic music already and I love her style.

Sasha Cohen: Good performance. This skater has no real weaknesses, which seems to come into play in a big way under the new judging system where points are available for all the in-between stuff she does so well, like spirals, spins and footwork. Look out world.

Joe, Sasha got cretic for a 3Lz (her first element), with a base score of 6.1 and a GOE of -1.00.

Then she got credit for a 3Lz+Combo, base score 6.1, GOE of -2.20.

Maybe the -2.20 was for "no combo."

Anyway, by scoring it this way there was no Zayak deduction.

Here's my question. Why is the base value the same for a triple Lutz by itself and a triple Lutz in combination? Is the base value for a 2Lz-combo higher if you actually do a combo, rather than just list it on your card?

If you want to see the complete list of elements and Sasha's score, here it is (short progam first).

http://www.isufs.org/results/sc2003/sc03_Ladies_Details.pdf

(If that link doesn't work, go to

http://www.isufs.org/results/sc2003/index.htm

and click on Ladies Protocol Details.)

Mathman

Last edited:

spumante

Rinkside
I watched Yukina three times already. This girl's body movements are gorgeous. I love her programs. Her SP reminds me of Chen Lu's Beatle Juice program in 92 and her LP is fantastic. Tom Dixon is my favorite choreographer. This is a gushing post but I can't help it. I am in heaven every time I see some newcomer with stunning skating like this. Pray that she solidifies those jumps she needs to so we can watch all these programs in their exquisite fullness. Love skaters with the innate sense of dance. Yukina, Oksana, Lucinda Ruh-these skaters don't need to jump to be stunning. Love the Belgium boy with 3/3/3 also.