Thread: Adapting roller skating to the ice

Former figure skater and HUGE figure skating fan. n_halifax's Avatar

Adapting roller skating to the ice

I watched a video posted on YouTube of the Italian pair Marika Zanforlin and Federico Degli Esposti, who were the 2003-2006 World Roller Skating Pairs Champions and got to thinking - just how easy would be really be to adapt roller skating to figure skating? Not to take anything away from this team - because they certainly had a lot of excitement in their skating and very difficult lifts - but in certain areas of their skating it was very apparent (spins especially) that they were very much products of the roller skating world. That said, skaters like Germany's Marina Kiellmann were able to successfully apply elements of roller skating to the ice while still correctly performing figure skating elements like strong spins. How hard do you think it would be to make the switch?

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    I tried to do the opposite and adapt ice skating to roller skating a few months ago.

A friend was having a roller skating birthday party so I went out there and was like "Yeah, this will be awesome. I'll be able to do all kinds of things."

I fell a dozen times.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Tara Lipinski, O'Connor & Millns, and Caydee Denney all started out as successful roller skaters in competition.

http://figureskating.about.com/od/fa...neybarrett.htm

The problem with the Italian pair is they tried to make the switch too quickly, too late. They should have started ice training a lot earlier than they did if that's what they wanted to do.

On the other hand it's a shame they felt they had to switch, I think there's no excuse for roller skating to not be in the summer games, it's at least as international as ice skating.

Almost everyone says it's easier to go from rollers to ice than ice to rollers. Ice skaters have these things called edges while roller skaters don't (at least not in the same sense) so that roller balance is a lot harder to achieve and maintain.

Personally I like watching the disciplines that rollers have that ice doesn't (anymore or yet) like figures (easier to follow with the visible lines) and solo dance where they're doing some interesting stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    I tried to do the opposite and adapt ice skating to roller skating a few months ago.

A friend was having a roller skating birthday party so I went out there and was like "Yeah, this will be awesome. I'll be able to do all kinds of things."

I fell a dozen times.
    SAME HERE! A friend of mine had a pair and I was all about trying them on thinking... well at least I'll be able to zip around no problem. I ended up in a garbage can... lol

The difference one has to feel when switching from one to the other, is that one form, skates in a surface and the other form, skates on a surface.

Also the weight difference of the blade to the skate if a huge factor.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafke View Post
    The problem with the Italian pair is they tried to make the switch too quickly, too late. They should have started ice training a lot earlier than they did if that's what they wanted to do.

On the other hand it's a shame they felt they had to switch, I think there's no excuse for roller skating to not be in the summer games, it's at least as international as ice skating.

Almost everyone says it's easier to go from rollers to ice than ice to rollers. Ice skaters have these things called edges while roller skaters don't (at least not in the same sense) so that roller balance is a lot harder to achieve and maintain.

Personally I like watching the disciplines that rollers have that ice doesn't (anymore or yet) like figures (easier to follow with the visible lines) and solo dance where they're doing some interesting stuff.

Figures are still a part of figure skating and always will be. I don't get how figures can be done on roller skates. On ice - they are traced and the skaters are marked on how perfectly the edges are executed.

Video of a skater tracing a Waltz eight figure

http://figureskating.about.com/od/gl...waltzeight.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Ladskater View Post
    Figures are still a part of figure skating and always will be. I don't get how figures can be done on roller skates. On ice - they are traced and the skaters are marked on how perfectly the edges are executed.
    Figures have never completely disappeared, but they aren't part of international competition anymore (unfortunately)

Here's a counter on rollers from the 2007 world championships (the caption says it's a rocker, but it's obviously a counter)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2IPsObFFmM

Here's a loop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0vjp6Dam-U

Tripping on the Podium
    Wow, figures on roller skates look hard. I agree roller skating competition should be in the Summer Olympics

Quote Originally Posted by chrissy51 View Post
    Wow, figures on roller skates look hard. I agree roller skating competition should be in the Summer Olympics
    Most definitely! I am very surprised they aren't yet.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    After all he sucessful skaters that began on roller skates I am surprised parents aren't buying thier kids rollers asap. I guess because roller rinks are pretty nonexistant the sport is pretty under the radar.

Roller skating does seem harder than figure skating. I guess that is everything seems easy when they transfer the skills to the ice.

That man doing the counter did it splendidly.

I was happy to see the pattern of the loop is painted on the floor. In my day one had to shake a patch of rosin to do loops. What a mess!

Roller skating in general, does have a lot friction to deal with, whereas ice does not, obviously.