Which dark horse has the best medaling chance at the Olympics? | Golden Skate

Which dark horse has the best medaling chance at the Olympics?

Who has the best chance at an Olympic medal?

• Carolina Kostner

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • Laura Lepisto

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rachael Flatt

Votes: 17 29.8%
  • Mirai Nagasu

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Suzuki Akiko

Votes: 22 38.6%
  • Alena Leonova

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • You included one or more girls who are real medal threats and not just dark horses

Votes: 2 3.5%

• Total voters

Layfan

Record Breaker
Now that we know who is going to Vancouver, I'm hoping we can start speculating.;) I'm assuming that Kim Yuna, Mao Asada, Miki Ando and Joannie Rochette are the biggest medal threats. But if they open the door, which of these dark horses do you think has the best chance of medaling?

Layfan

Record Breaker
I think it's Akiko. I was trying to decide between her and the American girls but I think Akiko has slightly more polish than the two of them. (Okay she has way more polish than Flatt.) OTH, if there is anyone on this list who has the technical goods and presence of the mind to kick down an open door, it's definitely Flatt.
I think if Carolina skates perfectly she has the best shot of anyone in the list. International judges seem to love her, even though she doesn't have me completely convinced. So if she skates perfectly, she's the one. However, I find that extremely unlikely. So I didn't pick her.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I think it's Akiko. I was trying to decide between her and the American girls but I think Akiko has slightly more polish than the two of them. (Okay she has way more polish than Flatt.) OTH, if there is anyone on this list who has the technical goods and presence of the mind to kick down an open door, it's definitely Flatt.
I think if Carolina skates perfectly she has the best shot of anyone in the list. International judges seem to love her, even though she doesn't have me completely convinced. So if she skates perfectly, she's the one. However, I find that extremely unlikely. So I didn't pick her.

I agree. I LOVE Caro's skating but I do not think that she would medal at the Olympics, considering how she has skated this season.

Mirai, Akiko, and Flatt all proved their ability to stay on their feet. That's important. Mirai would depend on UR calls though. All of them could feel happy just to be there, which may translate into a surprising medal!

Layfan

Record Breaker
Of course, I'd be so happy for the American girls if one of them medaled. OTH that will involve say, both Mao and Rochette.collapsing.

More than I want the American girls to medal, I really don't want to see a splatfest at the Olympics, at least among the medal contenders. I think if Carolina and Laura skate well, they'll beat the two Americans and Akiko, if only because of reputation. However, it's hardly unlikely that Carolina and Laura will falter. So it could be the Americans and Akiko vying for 5th place ... or maybe even higher. rachael racks up the points and has nerves of iron. you just never know!!!!

All things considered, I see Rachael easily in the top six and as an outside contender for bronze. I really hope Mirai has the same prospects and in my own heart she does. But she needs a perfect program with no URs.

Last edited:

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
The funny thing is I can't see any of them medalling at all. 4th or 5th maybe? but I really think this is going to be a fight between the three Japanese ladies, Yu-Na Kim and Joannie Rochette.

I agree with you, but of the skaters you listed, I think those three have the best chance.

Big Deal

Final Flight
I voted to Suzuki, even if I think that she is not a "dark horse"( not even Kostner is)....

Bennett

Record Breaker
I just read that Akiko added steps before 3Lo that is giving her a hard time. I actually hope that she just goes for a simpler program. I also read elsewhere that her 3Lz is not that consistent. I think it absolutely important for her to land all of her jumps, which led to her success this season.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I just read that Akiko added steps before 3Lo that is giving her a hard time. I actually hope that she just goes for a simpler program. I also read elsewhere that her 3Lz is not that consistent. I think it absolutely important for her to land all of her jumps, which led to her success this season.

I agree. When you're a dark horse the most important thing is to be clean. Unless you are a dark horse for the gold like Sarah Hughes was. Then you need to skate your heart out and go for broke. I think Evan for instance has to go for broke. He needs the quad, unless he skates last and sees that Plushenko, Joubert and Jeremy bombed. Maybe Akiko thinks she has a legitimate chance for gold. I don't think so. But it's up to her.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I voted for Miki Ando as my dark horse favorite... Her last trip was pretty awful and she's watered down her jump content - so I don't think she's a heavy favorite this time... but I still believe she's gonna skate lights out and take home the big prize...

Layfan

Record Breaker
I voted for Miki Ando as my dark horse favorite... Her last trip was pretty awful and she's watered down her jump content - so I don't think she's a heavy favorite this time... but I still believe she's gonna skate lights out and take home the big prize...

Yes, it's a pretty good point. Maybe I should have included another option: Silly, you included a bunch of dark horses in your list of favorites. ;)

Me, I would characterize Miki Ando is a wild card among the favorites. But then, so are Joannie Rochette and Mao Asada if you consider their seasons so far. I'm hoping that all three are simply peaking later because as I've said, I want to see a good fight in the Olympics and not a splatfest.

miki88

Medalist
Yes, it's a pretty good point. Maybe I should have included another option: Silly, you included a bunch of dark horses in your list of favorites. ;)

Me, I would characterize Miki Ando is a wild card among the favorites. But then, so are Joannie Rochette and Mao Asada if you consider their seasons so far. I'm hoping that all three are simply peaking later because as I've said, I want to see a good fight in the Olympics and not a splatfest.

Um so does that mean only Yuna is the favorite, everyone else is a darkhorse? :p Then I am really rooting for all the darkhroses because seeing the favorite have an easy win is so yawn :cool:

Layfan

Record Breaker
Um so does that mean only Yuna is the favorite, everyone else is a darkhorse? :p Then I am really rooting for all the darkhroses because seeing the favorite have an easy win is so yawn :cool:

Absolutely. Yuna, of course, is not immune to a meltdown. But that's the one thing I most don't want to happen at the Olympics. First of all, it's breathtaking to see her skate well and would be heartbreaking if she didn't. Second of all, I want her to do her best and see if anyone can beat that. Therefore, I want the others to have great skates, too.