Sasha's comeback attempt. | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Sasha's comeback attempt.

soogar

Record Breaker
The bigger surprise to me is that she didn't look disappointed after her freeskate. She looked completely gutted after a similar outing at 2006 Worlds. Seems like the time away really gave her some perspective.

I thought that was resignation.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
watching the coverage last night and watching her reaction in the K&C and backstage I wouldn't call this a FAILED comeback

first of all, she didn't fail. she CAME BACK. that's what she said the goal was, to just come and compete and be competitive... that the olympics were certainly what she wanted, but they weren't the be all end all. I believe her.

second, I don't think she has anything to be ashamed of or feel disappointed in. That some fans would now jump ship is not her fault, nor should it be her concern/worry. who wants fair weather fans anyway?

DesertRoad

Final Flight
Let's not sugarcoat it. Sasha failed. She didn't just reenter competitive skating after 4 years because this felt like a good time, she picked this specific year so she can take a stab at the Olympics. She worked for over a year for it, and Washington is as north as she'll go. Failed. Faily McFailed.

That doesn't mean she's now depressed or have any regrets. That doesn't mean she is a failure at anything else. Well, she still has that acting career, right?

R.D.

Record Breaker
...I don't think she has anything to be ashamed of or feel disappointed in. That some fans would now jump ship is not her fault, nor should it be her concern/worry. who wants fair weather fans anyway?

Well said.

OT, but I'm happy for the New Orleans Saints finally making it to the Superbowl :rock: :clap:

krenseby

Final Flight
I too am really sad about her comeback. I wish she didn't try at all because that LP was so bad that it taints my memories of her skating. I hate to see her "pushed aside" and forgotten after the other ladies outperformed her. It is all just my opinion but I felt she could have handled her comeback better and was very sad to see her go the way she had.

I agree that there's nothing glamorous about finishing fourth at US Nationals. At best, it's proof that she can still do the difficult jumps. At worst, it will diminish her reputation and brand her as the once formidable skater who now can't beat Flatt, Nagasu, and Wagner.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
OT, but I'm happy for the New Orleans Saints finally making it to the Superbowl :rock: :clap:

as long as Farve didn't win I don't care much who goes to the super bowl, my team hasn't been good at anything since Steve Young retired.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I agree that there's nothing glamorous about finishing fourth at US Nationals. At best, it's proof that she can still do the difficult jumps. At worst, it will diminish her reputation and brand her as the once formidable skater who now can't beat Flatt, Nagasu, and Wagner.

Is it proof that she can do her jumps? She did not land one clean triple, at least Alissa can say that much. She never finished lower than third at Nationals before and now she did. She was never left off the world/olympic team minus the time she was too young. I think her reputation is slightly diminished. She is no longer the skater who is capable of greatness but just choses not to try the hard jumps in shows, but is not the skater incapable of the difficult jumps.
So sad.

R.D.

Record Breaker
as long as Farve didn't win I don't care much who goes to the super bowl, my team hasn't been good at anything since Steve Young retired.

Well, simply because of what the city has been through, plus they haven't been before.

Of course, being from Houston, I was rooting for the Texans to slip into the playoffs, but alas :( didn't happen

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
were Katarina Witt and Brian Boitano's careers diminished after their comebacks were less than stellar? I was 9 so I honestly don't remember... but judging by their careers after 1994...

R.D.

Record Breaker
The thing about Cohen is that she was/is ALREADY known for skating stellar shorts and failing in the longs. So, things really weren't any different this time around based on her competitive history. But THREE other skaters skated stellar freeskates. In Torino every contender not named Shizuka Arakawa crashed and burned, and Cohen was the best of the rest. Here, she didn't have a chance. Heck, even if she stood up on every jump I doubt it would have been enough based on the difficulty level of the program.

gfskater

On the Ice
I think it is great that she went for it. And hey, she placed fourth at 25 yrs old!

She did great in the short. In the long I imagine that early jump where it looked like her ankle was going to break set the tone for the rest. I was amazed she did not fall.

She is one of the most beautiful and graceful skaters I have ever seen.

yunasashafan

On the Ice
I too am really sad about her comeback. I wish she didn't try at all because that LP was so bad that it taints my memories of her skating. I hate to see her "pushed aside" and forgotten after the other ladies outperformed her.

My feeling is that Sasha's comeback failed due to procrastination and fear of failure. She was given a prime opportunity to come back- 2 Grand Prix events. While I don't doubt she was injured, I do believe that she was afraid of returning to competition with anything less than her former self. With her back against the wall she did go to nationals but she could have gutted out those injuries and put herself out there in the Grand Prix to get the jitters out. I think that while that initial event would have been disconcerting if she had finished last; in the long run it would have been the best for her comeback.

Compare and contrast her comeback with Plushenko- a guy who knows how to compete and knows himself. He gave himself time to get his jumps ready and has progressed steadily throughout the season and made himself perform those jumps. Sasha didn't even run through her jumps all out at nationals practice- would have been ideal to get into the habit of fighting to land her jumps instead of doing it "cold" at nationals.

It is all just my opinion but I felt she could have handled her comeback better and was very sad to see her go the way she had.

I wouldn't call it procrastination. She reportedly started training in Fall 2008. For all we know, she was planning to be at the GPs. But guess what? s... happens! She got injured, her plans were derailed. How many times have you planned to do something but couldn't because of things out of your control?
I agree that it would have been better to skip SOI last year and train full-time. However, Sasha herself said she needed the money. I choose to believe her. She said she was serious about this comeback. A lot of people did not believe her (just like many people still not believe that she was injured in the fall, not lazy, and that she couldn't skip SOI for financial reasons). If nothing, her performance at Nationals shows that she meant what she said about the comeback and maybe, just maybe, she is telling the truth about everything else

krenseby

Final Flight
Is it proof that she can do her jumps? She did not land one clean triple, at least Alissa can say that much. She never finished lower than third at Nationals before and now she did. She was never left off the world/olympic team minus the time she was too young. I think her reputation is slightly diminished. She is no longer the skater who is capable of greatness but just choses not to try the hard jumps in shows, but is not the skater incapable of the difficult jumps.
So sad.

I have to say that a skater who's been active only in exhibitions does have to put in a lot of work to regain the difficult jumps, and it's not very accurate to say that exhibition skaters are leaving out hard jumps by choice: they are probably less successful with the jumps due to lack of practice.

That said, Sasha's lackluster LP will leave a bad memory in the minds of many skating fans, who will see her abilities as diminished in comparison to what they were at her peak. (That said, nobody is down on Kwan and Slutskaya because their triple flip and triple lutz are inconsistent.)

Heck, even if she stood up on every jump I doubt it would have been enough based on the difficulty level of the program.

Actually, that was the biggest problem, perhaps more so than the jumps. For a successful comeback, you need to have a long that earns high COP scores. The fact that she didn't is a sign that her comeback was not well planned.

Last edited:

soogar

Record Breaker
were Katarina Witt and Brian Boitano's careers diminished after their comebacks were less than stellar? I was 9 so I honestly don't remember... but judging by their careers after 1994...

Katarina Witt had a memorable performance at the Olympics. The tech wasn't there and she had a big step out on a jump but I remember that my mother and I had chills down our spines when she skated her long program.

Brian Boitano did not have a good outing at the games- however at that point he had so much respect and numerous signature pro performances and he had that incredible 1988 Olympic FP that had held up over many years as the standard of excellence in men's skating.

Even though Brian Boitano had his troubles at the Olympics, it was widely known that he was injured and not at his peak but he still went for all of this technical content.

Besides both of their comebacks were overshadowed by the whack heard 'round the world.

Sasha on the other hand hasn't really established herself as the premier pro skater (as Brian had.) It's not her fault, there are no pro skating competitions for a skater like Sasha to showcase her skills without focusing on jumps. That LP was so mediocre and she was so tentative- two footing all of her jumps and she still stumbled.. she might as well have gone for broke and skated aggressively- esp after the first few botched jump.

Oh well.

I think it is great that she went for it. And hey, she placed fourth at 25 yrs old!

Arakawa won gold at age 25.

Last edited by a moderator:
A week ago we were all worried that she wouldn't even show up, or that if she did poorly in the competition, she'd petition her way onto the Olympic team. Instead, she arrived, she stuck it out, she skated a grand short program, and she managed pretty well in the long, considering her short training time and lack of competition experience in the past few years. Then when she didn't place as high as she would have wanted, she took it like a champ and graciously left the spotlight to the winners. I suppose this can be called a "failed attempt," but it's by no means a failure. As for whether it will "taint" her career, baloney! Go look at her best performances on YouTube and see whether she suddenly has bad posture or a lower spiral in any of them. No? I didn't think so.

Should she have stayed away? Not if this was what she had her heart set on. She was entitled to show up, she didn't take anyone else's place away, and she didn't let anyone down with her attempt--least of all herself.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
A week ago we were all worried that she wouldn't even show up, or that if she did poorly in the competition, she'd petition her way onto the Olympic team. Instead, she arrived, she stuck it out, she skated a grand short program, and she managed pretty well in the long, considering her short training time and lack of competition experience in the past few years. Then when she didn't place as high as she would have wanted, she took it like a champ and graciously left the spotlight to the winners. I suppose this can be called a "failed attempt," but it's by no means a failure. As for whether it will "taint" her career, baloney! Go look at her best performances on YouTube and see whether she suddenly has bad posture or a lower spiral in any of them.

Should she have stayed away? Not if this was what she had her heart set on. She was entitled to show up, she didn't take anyone else's place away, and she didn't let anyone down with her attempt--least of all herself.

:rock::rock::clap::clap:

yunasashafan

On the Ice
A week ago we were all worried that she wouldn't even show up, or that if she did poorly in the competition, she'd petition her way onto the Olympic team. Instead, she arrived, she stuck it out, she skated a grand short program, and she managed pretty well in the long, considering her short training time and lack of competition experience in the past few years. Then when she didn't place as high as she would have wanted, she took it like a champ and graciously left the spotlight to the winners. I suppose this can be called a "failed attempt," but it's by no means a failure. As for whether it will "taint" her career, baloney! Go look at her best performances on YouTube and see whether she suddenly has bad posture or a lower spiral in any of them.

:agree: :clap: :bow: the girl has guts!

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well said.

Me too! :bow::love: I was really pulling for them tonight and I'd love it if they were to win it all at the Super Bowl! GO SAINTS!!! :clap::rock:

Oh, back on topic, what a mean-spirited thread title! If Sasha's pleased for her comeback attempt and the challenge she embraced in returning, then I'm happy for her. She handled herself with maturity last night and she certainly is not a failure. She can hold her head up knowing that she never gave up on the comeback despite the adversity she faced. Good for her!

Last edited:
N

n_halifax

I give Sasha complete props... coming back to skating competitively during an Olympic year after four seasons away would be completely unnerving to anyone. She trained hard, she tried her best, did a great short program and had a rough night in the free - but giving your all is what competition is about and it was clear she was trying her very best. I think she has a very healthy attitude about her experience in Spokane - at least that is what she has exhibited in interviews. You know what? On top of it all, she SHOWED UP. And to show up and try your best is a lot more than many naysayers expected of her.