Sasha's comeback attempt. | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Sasha's comeback attempt.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Sandy was also a competitive pairs skater in Canada... Scott Hamilton is just some punk who won four world titles and an olympic championship in the 80s.

:chorus::rock:

Are Scott and Sandra skating people? (Is he Scott Hamilton? I do not know any Sandra though, sorry). If so, it totally makes sense for them to be realistic.

But more generic media people and their interviews with Sasha wanted to make a big story and I do not know if Sasha had ever come out like that.

Sandra was a Canadian Pairs Skater and often choreographs for ice shows and many skaters. She choreographed I believe 1992 Olympic Ladies Figure Skating Champion Kristi Yamaguchi's routines for those Winter Games. I'm not sure but I think she also choreographed 1988 Olympic Men's Champion Brian Boitano's routines for his Games as well.

Scott Hamilton is the 1984 Olympic Men's Figure Skating Champion.

Excuse me while I go get my geritol-the old bones are creaking again..

inside edge

On the Ice
To me, Sasha looked prett relaxed before the freeskate, but I guess it was just a facade. Instead of coming to life when the music started as she did with the short, she seemed to fall apart. I understand that her lack of training prevented sucess with the latter jumps but her first 2 passes were not clean. She looked VERY wobbly, she leg was even unsteady on the spiral. I guess she was terrified, but kept her poker face on.

:yes: :yes:

Hikaru

Final Flight
I agree, but I was still happy to see her skate, her SP was wonderful

I agree with you, it was really a beautiful program... you know, yes, it's a bit sad that she couldn't put everything together to get herself to the olympics, but I was so happy to see her compete again, as I can only see whatever videos are posted on Youtube, so it was very nice to see her again. What I regret is not having the pleasure of seeing these programs earlier in the season, I think both of them had a lot of potential.

There is the aging factor which affects getting it back together again. It is both physical and mental. That one Oly which opened up the whole idea of comebacks (I forget the year) - none of those former Olympians were able to do it. So Sasha remains in good company.

DesertRoad

Final Flight
There is the aging factor which affects getting it back together again. It is both physical and mental. That one Oly which opened up the whole idea of comebacks (I forget the year) - none of those former Olympians were able to do it. So Sasha remains in good company.

It was 1994. And many of those athletes at least made it to the games. And of the returning athletes, Gordeeva and Grinkov won gold.

While Sasha's bid for a return to the Olympics failed this year, there's a good chance Plushenko and Shen/Zhao will succeed.

How long away from Olys had Gordeeva and Grinkov?

I don't think being a real pro would prevent a comeback. Sasha, Evgeni, Xue/Hongbo have all skated for money.

DesertRoad

Final Flight
How long away from Olys had Gordeeva and Grinkov?

G/G's penultimate Olympic was 1988, where they won. So, six years in between Olympics. If you count it from when they turned pro, that was in 1990, so four years. They also took time out to have a kid. Their comeback was spot on, and a model for Shen/Zhao, I believe.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I appluad Sasha for reminding us all the difference between a ballerina on ice and a fierce competitior. I will never, ever think of her as Gumby again... I will always remember that she is a strong young woman who worked hard and did her best. Great Job Sasha! :clap::clap::clap:

"And if you can't respect that, your whole perspective is wack" Jay-Z

janetfan

Match Penalty
I appluad Sasha for reminding us all the difference between a ballerina on ice and a fierce competitior. I will never, ever think of her as Gumby again... I will always remember that she is a strong young woman who worked hard and did her best. Great Job Sasha! :clap::clap::clap:

"And if you can't respect that, your whole perspective is wack" Jay-Z

I keep laughing about the "water" remark that you mentioned elsewhere :laugh:

krenseby

Final Flight
She is not a CoP skater. Spirals and I spins were a hoot from 2002-2006, but the ladies of today do the same flexible positions and more. The Ladies of today have joined the Men in skating for the POINTS. Sasha did her 2004 content-of-program competition that was just plain dated.

It was nice to see her again, and she will always be remembered for skating the most stunning Short Programs in her competitive career.

I think her LP was absolutely not crafted to be a COP winner. Whoever helped put that together for her must have not intended for her to beat the top three at Nationals, considering that their content is much harder. That makes me question her strategy: if you are out to win, why not put together the most point-getting program possible instead of going with something simple?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think her LP was absolutely not crafted to be a COP winner. Whoever helped put that together for her must have not intended for her to beat the top three at Nationals, considering that their content is much harder. That makes me question her strategy: if you are out to win, why not put together the most point-getting program possible instead of going with something simple?

But didn't Sasha work with Lori Nichol so her program would be COP friendly? I remember that being mentioned quite a bit. I think the footwork and spirals were supposed to be better levels, I guess it just didn't work out that way.

I agree with the others that Moonlight Sonata was just not the right music for her.

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
Her short program was really good! I'm proud of her for trying, again.

I caught the long program first, though, and was a bit shocked by her even thinner than usual appearance.

Nadine

Record Breaker
First off let me say that I'm totally proud of Sasha for giving it her all & making a comeback. One cannot say she's afraid of failure or making herself look bad. She put herself out there for all to see, just like Elaine Zayak did in 1994, and so many others that attempt a comeback at a later age. For this she has my deep respect & admiration; what cajones!:thumbsup:

That said, the only thing I was disappointed in was her FS. I truly was expecting/hoping to see a masterpiece that plays to her strengths, like at that one Japan pro/amateur competition she did this past summer. Unfortunately, her "Moonlight Sonata" program works a heck of a lot better as an exhibition piece/SOI routine, not as a competitive one.

All that hard work, all that training, all those muscles & definition, a shame there aren't any more pro competitions for her to participate in (aka World Pros, Ice Wars, etc.). Too bad she won't hang around for 4CC or Worlds, just to finish off the season. But she knows it's all about the process, which is why she has such longevity in the sport. WOW, to think she's been in the sport for over a decade, WOW!:love:

MKFSfan

Medalist
How can you say the LP was not geared towards COP? She had friendly COP spins and spirals-didn't max GOEs, but that is not the choreographer's fault.Her SP FW was a level 3, so my guess is the LP FW was a level 3 on paper, she either didn't complete stuff or just didn't perform enough of the arm flailing, head twisting that seems to be the difference maker. She even had a couple transitions into jumps-slight spread eagle before the 3f/2t and back charlotte into 3s/2t/2t, and I think some turns into solo salchow, most likely included with COP/transitions mark in mind.

The blame falls on the skater not being at the top of her game-whether that means physically prepared or injured, not choreographer or even her coach. The program was watered down a bit, front loaded with the jumps and that pause in the middle of the program to catch her breath, all because she wasn't at top form.

Bennett

Record Breaker
For the record, have never been a Cohen fan, but I take back all the snarky comments I made about her. She gets full credit for me for trying and making it thru both programs and being as close as she was.

I'm sure she's disappointed with the results, but she should be proud of the effort. I know my respect for her has increased dramatically

Yeah, I think she not only saved her face but also even earned respect by showing up, despite that her Olympic chance had been virtually over when she missed the two GPs. If you think purely about competitive chances, it was rather an unrealistic attempt. But I think that it was good for her to prove her sportmanship by showing up and doing her best. If she hadn't shown up, it would have negatively affected her SOI career and all the other public apperances.

R.D.

Record Breaker
But I think that it was good for her to prove her sportmanship by showing up and doing her best. If she hadn't shown up, it would have negatively affected her SOI career and all the other public apperances.

Well, if you can't compete, you can't compete. Not much you can do about that.

But it makes me wonder if she showed up with the intent of competing only her SP, because clearly that was ready. Her FS was just so unlike her that something had to have been off. The fight she displayed in the short simply vanished, and she left stuff out. Maybe it was lack of practice, stamina or something.

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
But it makes me wonder if she showed up with the intent of competing only her SP, because clearly that was ready.

What could she have cited as a reason for withdrawing from FP? It's not a show that she can pick and choose.

janetfan

Match Penalty
From my perspective:

1. She got on the plane with Mr Nicks

2. She skated at her scheduled practice sesssion on Wednesday afternoon

3. She took the ice for her SP and we were treated to another vintage Sasha SP

For me that was mission accomplished and delicious crow dinners were enjoyed by many :biggrin:

The LP, by Sasha's standards was very disappointing - and yet after no competitive skating for four years she managed to make the podium.

I think it will be interesting to hear her thoughts on this and what she had hoped for on Saturday night.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
What could she have cited as a reason for withdrawing from FP? It's not a show that she can pick and choose.

Other skaters have done this before...competing the SP and then WDing from the FS due to injury or other unforeseen mishap.

I think it took an awful lot of courage to skate that LP, especially if it wasn't ready or she wasn't up to snuff for whatever reason. Makes me even wonder if it was fully developed, because it was missing some parts IIRC

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
Other skaters have done this before...competing the SP and then WDing from the FS due to injury or other unforeseen mishap.

I think it took an awful lot of courage to skate that LP, especially if it wasn't ready or she wasn't up to snuff for whatever reason. Makes me even wonder if it was fully developed, because it was missing some parts IIRC

WDing after SP would have put her in a very difficult situation, after two WDs from GPs, healthy SP appearance, and the media hype to see her Olympic quest. It seems out of question however unprepared her LP might have been. If she had thought of WD because of unpreparedness, she would have WDen from the entire comp.