I finally did it | Golden Skate

I finally did it

anya_angie

Final Flight
I think this is the first time I've ever posted this type of thing here, but I'm a wannabee choreographer. I see things when I hear music, and write my vision down. The more I learned about skating the more detailed my writing got. Well this has to be the best short program I've ever written, and actually I haven't written that many, only... 10, I'd say.

Well, ever since I saw the movie The Pianist, and learned more about Wladislaw Szpilman, I have dreamt of coming up with a spectacular program that tells the story of this extraordinary experience of survival, and now I have finally done it. I invite you all to share your opinions as I present what I think is my best SHORT program, "Chopin's Nocturne 20 in C-Sharp Minor" dedicated and about The Pianist, Holocaust survivor Wladislaw Szpilman.

Short program
Music: Chopin Nocturne 20 in C# Minor, a 1988 recording by the pianist Wladislaw Szpilman who survived the horrific Holocaust. This program tells the feelings he felt during his ordeal.
Costume: a brown suit, half perfect, half tattered, the tattered side is dirty, rough, and ripped, the perfect side is clean and smooth.

Male skater squats as if he is sitting, hands out as if he is ready to play the piano. It was a day like every other day as the music begins... Skater plays the piano for the first few seconds, then gets up, and during the high notes he portrays peace in light serpentine footwork. Everything's perfectly serene. All of a sudden- 3 Lutz- things are not what they were before, everything has changed. It's scary and heartwrenching- deathdrop. He sees so much suffering and longs to help- illusion-change-illusion- but somehow cannot. He has his own hardships to deal with- camel-hopover-change-camel-hopover-change-sit-change-layback-eggbeater-camel holding leg-donut-scratch-stretch. But he still can't get away from the problems of others- circular footwork. His triple Axel is next, as he disappears into hiding. The approach to the final combination jump is tedious but light as he is weak, but now is when he must truly use his gift of music, or else he's dead. He does a quad toe-triple toe, and then skates back to his opening pose and plays the piano.

I have tons of other programs, if this is well-received I'll post more if you like.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your creation, Anya Angie. The Pianist was a powerful movie, and the book was even more haunting.

One interesting thing was how your program built to the climax of the quad/triple at the end. Most skaters have to put elements like that at the beginning, because they are too tired at the end to do a quad.

When you do these programs, do you usually have a particular skater in mind? That one made me think of Emanuel Sandhu.

Mathman

anya_angie

Final Flight
First I want to thank you for your kind words!

Sometimes I see a particular skater, mostly Yagudin or Plushenko, and sometimes Abt, but mostly when there isn't anyone in mind when I hear a piece of music it's just an imaginary skater. Most of the time I listen, and then when it's over I listen a few more times to get a feel for my vision, then I pause the music and write, unpause, listen, pause, write, etc.,, and then when it's done I look at what I wrote, listen again, and see the whole thing going through my head. Sometimes though in more than one listen I see different things, like with "If I Can't Love Her" from Beauty and The Beast. I would love to come up with an exhibition program to it, but I keep seeing more than one idea for it. I've created a spin (figuratively speaking) that takes off on a long back outside edge (like the Lutz jump) but instead of the Lutz the end result is a flying right back camel, and some of my friends who skate say this is possible. They've never tried it but they say it can be one :D Well if you like I can post more programs. I have an Interview With The Vampire program that would be just perfect for Abt.

You're right, Sandhu would be a good choice for this program!

Sure, post more programs. The creative process of choreography is a part of figure skating that fascinates me, because I know so little about it. All the average fan gets to see is the finished product. I would like to know what goes on in the choreographer's mind when he/she is working.

Do you draw diagrams of where the skater is on the ice for each move? Do certain musical phrases just automatically make certain skating moves jump into your mind. I know that many times, when I watch a skating performance I have the feeling that the choreographer is "wasting the music" -- especially in pairs, where some musical passages just seem to shout "lift me! throw me! death spiral me!"

Mathman

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Chris Dean said in his IFS article that "I see music as movements" or something like that... the article was really good :)

anya_angie

Final Flight
Actually I don't know much about the real process of choreography, I am not a real choreographer lol I just want to be one! However I am friends with skaters, one is a 5-time Novice national competitor, and he wants me to be his choreographer when he goes senior. I hope that works out! He's training with a woman I don't remember her name but he used to train with Frank Carroll, but anyway, I even have a program that is reserved specifically for him when he goes senior! He kept talking about how much he liked my work on it finally I said It's yours!

You know, I don't know at all how to do diagrams, I've seen them but it's very difficult to understand them. I've been posting programs at Plushenko's Russian forum for years and have come up with a spin and told the moderator who is supposedly a good friend of his, and he said he told him about it and Plushenko said he needed more information, a diagram would be useful to him. And I have no idea how to do that at all.

Apparently, he's seen my programs, because there was a rumor that he was going to use the music from "Cats" for his short program in 01-02 season, but ended up choosing Michael Jackson instead but the point is he did it. That was my idea. LOL I died when I heard! But I had no hard feelings when he chose MJ; I think the music worked for him. Besides, I doubt if he was able to find the particular version I had in mind lol.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Hi anya_angie-
I'm like you when I hear music I always think of what movement will go with it. That is why I never could sit still long enough to play a instrument, I always wanted to move to the music not play it! Anyway I searched through my library of skating books and found some for you that might be helpful with skating choreography.

Choreography & Style For Ice Skaters
by Ricky Harris

Skate Your Personal Best
by Sandra Foster & Tracy Prussack

Artistry On Ice
by Nancy Kerrigan

Creative Ice Skating
by Frances Dorsey & Wendy Williams

The Complete Book Of Figure Skating
by Carole Shulman

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
anya_angie:

Choreographer, Sandra Bezic, also has a book. I can't think of the title at the moment, but I have seen the book and it is terrific.

I also think of programs when I hear music. I used to make up programs more when I skated.

Kara Bear

Final Flight
Is Bezic's book called The Art of Skating?

I love your program anya_angie. I too hear music and see skating in my head, but I've never written it down. Its quite beautiful in words.

anya_angie

Final Flight
Thank you so much Kara! And Ladskater thank you for that information, I appreciate it! My friend David wishes me to be his choreographer when he turns senior and he has just turned junior. I can't skate and can barely dance, so something tells me I'll need all the help I can get when this day comes LOL :D

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Sandra Bezic has a book titled "The Passion To Skate" This book has some wonderful pictures in it.

anya_angie

Final Flight
Wow I am amazed you think of my talent enough to make suggestions! I saw your post and will reply to it now.