Nightmare Vancouver Podiums | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Nightmare Vancouver Podiums

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is Chan's third full year on the senior circuit so I would say he is in the middle of his career. Also, your logic doesn't make sense you have no problem with skaters mouthing off.....so why are you making such a big deal/taking issue with it? SC doesn't control the skaters and make them say certain things - we live in a free country here after all. Your previous point about Kurt Browning carries no weight as he is not directly involved with Skate Canada - also the interview Tonichelle provided clearly shows what happened in the Browning/Joubert conflict. How exactly is SC "slyly trying to discredit other skaters"? Like I said Chan is an invididual and SC has not made any derogatory statements towards skaters from other countries that I am aware of.

Chan's first really successful year was the 2008-2009 season, and at that point his criticism of the 'quadders' was targeted at some pretty distinguished company: Joubert, Plushenko, Lysacek and Lambiel. Among them, they have won 1 Olympic gold, 2 Olympic Silver, 7 World Championships, and 9 World silver and bronze medals. Chan, who at 19 has won just one World medal, would appear to be a journeyman presumptuously placing himself at the same level as a group of high elite skaters who have distinguished themselves multiple times at the World level. It's no wonder his brash statements have drawn fire. And IMO, Skate Canada has nothing to do with it. Chan just is too immature to know that sometimes it's best to keep one's thoughts to oneself.

mishieru07

On the Ice
My nightmares, in order of severity:

1) Blatant WUZROBBING. Regardless of who gets the short end of the stick.

2) Splatfest.

3) Boring, uninspiring OGM performances.

I love Chan's skating but ITA that he needs to learn some discretion in voicing his opinions. I thought SC told him off for it and sent him to media handling classes? He still hasn't learnt to shut up though. I wish he would.

Anyway, I agree with chuckm that a single skater isn't representative of the whole federation or nation. Would Joubert be representative of the FFSG? (AFAIK, DelSchoes are lovely and gracious people)

I never realized that SC was that good at gaming the system, so to speak. Frankly, I really don't mind, they're playing by the book and there's nothing I can fault them for.

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
:scratch:I don't understand the bolded part of your statement at all. The Olympic motto is "Swifter, Higher, Stronger" and in skating the Olympics are (usually) about who skates the best on that night. So what if a new skater wins gold? They have trained and worked just as hard as the skaters who have been on the circuit for longer than them. Hughes and Lipinski deserved their medals - they didn't want to compete anymore, had injury problems, wanted to go to college, pursue other interests etc. so they left competitive skating. What is wrong with that?

It's not about whether they deserve the medal or not, that isn't what I'm trying to say. It's just that a s aspectator and skating fan, I see the OGM as the hight of a skater's career, so it's better if they win it after a certain amount of seasons - OGM shouldn't really be one of the first medals a skater wins, that's all. I'm not questioning the fact that Hughes and Lipinski deserved their medals, it's just that when one looks back a OGM history, people want to see skaters who they remember for more than one performance.

schiele

Final Flight
It's not about whether they deserve the medal or not, that isn't what I'm trying to say. It's just that a s aspectator and skating fan, I see the OGM as the hight of a skater's career, so it's better if they win it after a certain amount of seasons - OGM shouldn't really be one of the first medals a skater wins, that's all. I'm not questioning the fact that Hughes and Lipinski deserved their medals, it's just that when one looks back a OGM history, people want to see skaters who they remember for more than one performance.

:agree::agree:

i love to skate

Medalist

I guess we will have to disagree because even though it may have been an early medal it still is the highlight of their career. I look at the Olympics is terms of performances rather than longeveity I guess. Sarah Hughes' look of disbelief and happiness after her long program and then her reaction to winning the gold are some of my favorite Olympic moments - and I'm saying this as a girl who grew up idolizing Michelle Kwan and who bawled at each of her Olympics.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
I guess we will have to disagree because even though it may have been an early medal it still is the highlight of their career. I look at the Olympics is terms of performances rather than longeveity I guess. Sarah Hughes' look of disbelief and happiness after her long program and then her reaction to winning the gold are some of my favorite Olympic moments - and I'm saying this as a girl who grew up idolizing Michelle Kwan and who bawled at each of ther Olympics.

I agree with you and this "Joubert really deserves it" is not just unsporting but wrong. Joubert deserves what he can earn by the way he skates in Vancouver. If Patrick or anyone else outskates Joubert they deserve to be placed over him. There is nothing wrong with having sentimental favorites but this is supposed to be a real sport with real and fair competition.

As long as a skater is age eligible and a member of their Olympic team they have as much right as the older skaters to try and realize their dream.

Last edited:

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
I agree with you and this "Joubert really deserves it" is not just unsporting but wrong. Joubert deserves what he can earn by the way he skates in Vancouver. If Patrick or anyone else outskates Joubert hey deserve to be placed over him. There is nothing wrong with having sentimental favorites but this is supposed to be a real sport with real and fair competition.

As long as a skater is age eligible and a member of their Olympic team they have as much right as the older skaters to try and realize their dream.

ITA: it's about who does it on the day, not who has put in the most years. To keep the Olys from being a nightmare, I want the judges to judge what they see on the ice following the CoP whether fans agree w/ CoP or not. If they can do that, then the results will be 'fair' whether they are what we, as individuals, would want or not.

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
I guess we will have to disagree because even though it may have been an early medal it still is the highlight of their career. I look at the Olympics is terms of performances rather than longeveity I guess. Sarah Hughes' look of disbelief and happiness after her long program and then her reaction to winning the gold are some of my favorite Olympic moments - and I'm saying this as a girl who grew up idolizing Michelle Kwan and who bawled at each of ther Olympics.

I agree that whatever happens it's the highlight of their career. I do prefer it when people who have been heavyweights for several years win gold, but on the condition that their performance on the night is worth it. I'd rather see Patrick Chan win gold with an amazing performance than have a repeat of 2006 (ie: Plush wins gold but with as much artistry as a banana).

seniorita

Record Breaker
I agree with you and this "Joubert really deserves it" is not just unsporting but wrong. Joubert deserves what he can earn by the way he skates in Vancouver. If Patrick or anyone else outskates Joubert they deserve to be placed over him. There is nothing wrong with having sentimental favorites but this is supposed to be a real sport with real and fair competition.

I totally agree here, it is a competition and not a coronation, and I know many people had said that last olympic mens competition was a coronation, at least plush and his banana artistry (what else I will read here about Plush, lol) won it fair and square and the guys made it too easy for him. I would not enjoy a men olympic champion though with the jumping content of lepisto's fs, as much artistry as he has, which is always subjective. Thats why there is the competition first place.

My nightmares, in order of severity:

1) Blatant WUZROBBING. Regardless of who gets the short end of the stick.

2) Splatfest.

3) Boring, uninspiring OGM performances.

:rock:

Well put although I'd probably reverse #2 and #3. I'd rather have a great skate with splat than a dull skate without it.

Whatever I think of specific skaters, I really dislike the idea of labelling anyone as a "nightmare" medalist.

Barb

Record Breaker
my nightmare podium could be in women the OGM other girl that is not Mao, Yuna or Joannie, and the worst if it is for Rachel.:no:
Men OGM Evan:sheesh: and silver Jhonny, noooo please.
Pairs OGM is not for Xhen Shao, the worst would be OGM for Mukortova:mad:
Dance I dont like it.

Wicked

Final Flight
This is not a podium nightmare, but I'd hate to see Brian finish 4th. I don't think he could handle it. And I shudder to think what the reaction of the French federation would be to that finish.

ARipp42014

Medalist
I gotta add another nightmare: NBC showing a fluff on Johnny Gaga singing to Carrie Underwood's "Before He Cheats" during their broadcast. If you haven't seen it, it's on the nbcolympics.com under videos.

(wait that might possibly happen)

And I agree Wicked... I don't think Brian would take it well if he finishes 4th. But I think it could be a reality. :cry:

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
I gotta add another nightmare: NBC showing a fluff on Johnny Gaga singing to Carrie Underwood's "Before He Cheats" during their broadcast. If you haven't seen it, it's on the nbcolympics.com under videos.

Ugh! Canadians can't see it!

Last edited:

Layfan

Record Breaker

Awwww, that is cute.
I'm with you on this one. The Olympics comes only every four years so and it's not fair or realistic to expect many skaters to go to more than one so that the OGM can be a career achievement. For some skaters, the Olympics comes around when they are only 16 but that may be their best chance to win gold. Who know what will happen four years later??

Oksana Baiul and Tara Lipinski had short competitive careers but when their Olympics came around they were considered favorites for the OGM and they need to go for it right then and there, regardless of their age or how many worlds they had gone too. (And for what it's worth Tara's "upset" is not remotely on the same plane as Sarah Hughes'. Tara was already a national and world champion and she was a very tough rival for Michelle Kwan. Her OGM was not out of the blue at all. True she looked like she was 12 and not 15 but that's a whole different thing :p)

ARipp42014

Medalist
Ugh! Canadians can't see it!

Guess we're even because it sucks not to watch Canadian Nationals on cbc.ca! Just joking! ;)

I'm sure it'll be on YouTube along with "Ain't No Sunshine". I'm surprised he chose that song and not "Poker Face" (ala Cartman from South Park). But for those who wants to see it (and have access to it): http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/as...c-3f443a461e60.html#johnny+weir+sings+karaoke

Back to nightmares... another possible nightmare (or dream if you're a guy), a wardrobe malfunction for a certain American ice dancer's recent FD dress.

BigJohn

On the Ice
This is not a podium nightmare, but I'd hate to see Brian finish 4th. I don't think he could handle it. And I shudder to think what the reaction of the French federation would be to that finish.

Now that is something I'd love too see. Especially if he lands a quad and those ahead of him don't.

That would make my day.

ARipp42014

Medalist
Now that is something I'd love too see. Especially if he lands a quad and those ahead of him don't.

That would make my day.

You think Brian will do something along the lines of the '98 US Olympic Hockey Team and destroy his room in the Olympic Village? I don't think anyone would want to be near to him when he's PO'd.

dannyascii

On the Ice
Honestly, there are certain skaters I just feel are "better": they have shown more natural talent and conditioning and have better choreographed routines this season. Those are the skater's I'd love to see on the podium. However, as long as the winner is deserving, I'll be happy with whoever is on the podium. That said, I'd really prefer to NOT see:

Men:
Plushenko or Weir on the podium. I simply cannot take Plushenko seriously with his spins. They are a nightmare in themselves. I don't think I really have to worry about Weir winning, but I just really don't like either of his programs this season and to see one of those programs beat out some of the great ones this season would be somewhat disconcerting.

Pairs:
While D/D, S/Z, and S/S all have spectacular FSs this season, it's S/Z's time. Period. Any podium without them on top would be sad. One where Z/Z placed ahead of them again would be horrible.

Ladies:
Kostner or Rochette finishing ahead of Mao and Yuna.

Dance:
I actually like most of the top teams. I don't think I'll be too crushed whichever way it goes.