Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Nightmare Vancouver Podiums

Tripping on the Podium
    My nightmare podium...which unfortunately has a HIGH possibility of coming true. oh noes!

Men:
    Plushenko, Evan, Joubert (in any order)

Ladies:
    Carolina on the podium, doesn't matter where.

Pairs:
    Zhangs, K/S, D/D. Will literally break out in hives.

Dance:
    DomShabs, agian, doesn't matter where.

Custom Title
    My nightmare podium includes a Russian guy... I won't give names, let's call him E. Plushenko... nah, too obvious, OK let's call him just E. P. (I'm a genius ) who wins gold, and from the highest part of the podium, start screaming "did you see that ISU? transitions are just for %#?!&" While in the rest of the podium, an angry Frenchman and his even more angry mother start arguing with an American who doesn't know that black is not the only colour in the rainbow.

Later in the press conference when the Russian is asked about his choreography he answers "chor...what? sorry, I don't like reading"

Shoe Diva
    My nightmare podium does not exist. I watch the Olympics to see who will shake off the pressure and snatch the gold medal from the other competitors. I admit to being disappointed when my favs don't win (called off work in 2002 when Kwan lost, pouted all day in 2006 when Shen & Zhao placed third while stomping my little foot in a huff when Z/Z won the silver...) but the whole idea of Nightmare Podium is foriegn to me... I also believe that's its easier to appease the skating gods with a little humility and a "may the best skater win" mentality than all the venom expressed in this thread. Life just might be too short for this kinda drama. But that's just me...

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    No, it's not just you!

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwanford Wife View Post
    I also believe that's its easier to appease the skating gods with a little humility and a "may the best skater win" mentality than all the venom expressed in this thread.
    There's no fun in that

Well, the Saints won the SB...My alternate (i.e. 2nd-choice) US Olympic team (Rachel/Mirai) became a reality...Cohen didn't steal a spot from the other US skaters...things have been going relatively well so far as R.D.'s wishes are concerned. Let's hope it continues into next month

I think people need to get off their high horse and go back and read the first post of the thread:

Quote Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
    Understand that this is not for those easily offended, nor for those who are politically correct. This is just for fun.
    This was all supposed to be fun! There are plenty worse things that are stated in various threads about skaters than has been said in this thread!

I think it's one thing to post a list of people you don't want on the podium and quite another to write how you'll enjoy watching skaters you dislike suffer if they miss out on a medal, which some people have done (for the record, I've done neither). Missing out on a medal is not the end of the world - Kurt Browning's life doesn't revolve around not being an Olympic medalist, for instance - but Olympic disappointment would be a difficult thing for any skater to deal with, especially considering how young many of them are.

For me the bottom line is this: we don't know any of these skaters personally. Our perceptions are filtered through media coverage, rumors and often through language barriers and cultural differences. We do know that everyone we will see competing in Vancouver has spent almost their entire lives training for this opportunity and that they have sacrificed a lot and suffered through injuries and disappointment along the way. I suggest that everyone keep that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I think it's one thing to post a list of people you don't want on the podium and quite another to write how you'll enjoy watching skaters you dislike suffer if they miss out on a medal, which some people have done (for the record, I've done neither). Missing out on a medal is not the end of the world - Kurt Browning's life doesn't revolve around not being an Olympic medalist, for instance - but Olympic disappointment would be a difficult thing for any skater to deal with, especially considering how young many of them are.

For me the bottom line is this: we don't know any of these skaters personally. Our perceptions are filtered through media coverage, rumors and often through language barriers and cultural differences. We do know that everyone we will see competing in Vancouver has spent almost their entire lives training for this opportunity and that they have sacrificed a lot and suffered through injuries and disappointment along the way. I suggest that everyone keep that in mind.
    Good post!

I agree that taking pleasure in other's misfortunes is not cool but I don't see a problem with posters listing the people they do not want on a podium. I don't find it any different than other sports fans hoping a certain team loses, hoping a hockey player chokes on a penalty shot, or wanting a certain team to not win the Stanley Cup. I have many a team that I cheer against I actually find it interesting to see how many people's nightmare podiums are the same as many poster's dream podiums!

Shoe Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post
    I think people need to get off their high horse and go back and read the first post of the thread:

This was all supposed to be fun! There are plenty worse things that are stated in various threads about skaters than has been said in this thread!
    Skate - please. spare me.

Skate - please. spare me.
    Wife - please. spare me the idea that this thread contains anything worse than a multitude of other threads and posts that we have seen this year. In sports people have favorites, not so favorites, and athletes that they can't stand. I don't see anything wrong with people listing who they don't want on the podium.

I bet if anyone went to a hockey or football board there would be very similar discussions going on...

Shoe Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post
    Wife - please. spare me the idea that this thread contains anything worse than a multitude of other threads and posts that we have seen this year. In sports people have favorites, not so favorites, and athletes that they can't stand. I don't see anything wrong with people listing who they don't want on the podium.

I bet if anyone went to a hockey or football board there would be very similar discussions going on...
    As usual, you miss my point. I was responding to the thread. I do not have a Nightmare Podium. I was amused by other posters and those they'd hate to see win a medal of any color. I simply choose not to root against skaters but for skaters. Because I've come to terms with the sacrifice the skate gods require. That's just me.

The "spare me" stems from posters who will draw blood if anyone says anything about any skater at anytime that they disagree with who then turn around and lecture about high horses. Its laughable. I am of the "draw blood" catergory as well, so I feel that I am on safe ground with this assessment. I sold my horse three years ago. You might want to do the same.

As usual, you miss my point. I was responding to the thread. I do not have a Nightmare Podium. I was amused by other posters and those they'd hate to see win a medal of any color. I simply choose not to root against skaters but for skaters. Because I've come to terms with the sacrifice the skate gods require. That's just me.

The "spare me" stems from posters who will draw blood if anyone says anything about any skater at anytime that they disagree with who then turn around and lecture about high horses. Its laughable. I am of the "draw blood" catergory as well, so I feel that I am on safe ground with this assessment. I sold my horse three years ago. You might want to do the same.
    Well I apologize if I missed your point but I only remember conversing with you one another time, so I don't know where the "as usual" comment came from. As for the "lecturing" part I was simply pointing out that the whole point of the thread was in good fun and not something to be taken so seriously...
    Last edited by i love to skate; 02-08-2010 at 07:33 PM.

Men:
    Plushenko with gold
    Weir on the podium
    Evan not on the podium

Pairs:
    My only nightmare would be S/Z off the podium. It would be a horrible dream if they don't win gold

Medalist
    I do not have anything against any skater personally. But I would not like to see podiums with triple wins, I mean all top three from the same country or even the same continent. I also hope that the winners come from different countries. If "nightmare" most of the medals to same countries or continents happens, it is booorriinggg...let's hope so many countries as possible can enjoy success of their skater.
    Last edited by TT_Fin; 02-11-2010 at 01:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post

I completely agree.
    I believe nightmare podiums are more about "who would you least like to see beat your favs?", it's not necessarily personnal against the skaters. i believe that the best skaters on the night should win - but there are just some more than others that I hope will have a good performance. :-)

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast