Nightmare Vancouver Podiums | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Nightmare Vancouver Podiums

BigJohn

On the Ice
You think Brian will do something along the lines of the '98 US Olympic Hockey Team and destroy his room in the Olympic Village? I don't think anyone would want to be near to him when he's PO'd.

No, but he'd go on a bigger bitchy tantrum then the one after Buttle won Worlds, and that would be hilarious.

ARipp42014

Medalist
No, but he'd go on a bigger bitchy tantrum then the one after Buttle won Worlds, and that would be hilarious.

That'll be as scary as Faye Dunaway's performance as Joan Crawford in "Mommy Dearest"! NO MORE WIRE HANGERS, EVER!!!!
http://www.tvgasm.com/newsgasm/MommieDearest.jpg

Then again I see someone like Plushenko doing that instead if they don't win.

I can see it now... Joubert skates 1st in the final flight, and thought he got it....
http://p-images.veoh.com/image.out?imageId=media-v6492803ex9Thdmk1206295710.jpg

...only to experience a case of deja vu by the end of the night (insert your favorite other than Evan and Patrick)
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/2010wintergames/figure-skating/singles/1436137/1436160.bin?size=620x400

aurora100

Final Flight
It' like in 2006, I was happy that Asada couldn't go to the Olys, because a new skater winning gold would have just been contrary to what the Olympics is about, but this year I'm praying for her to win a medal..

Where the heck does this rule come from?

Why shouldn't a new skater, if she/he is the best, not be allowed to enter and win the OGM at her/his first try? It's a sport, whoever is the best on that day wins, no matter what age. It's a crying shame Mao and Yuna were not allowed to compete in 2006. They were punished by the rule set up after Tara, who won too early, and she should not have won with her "girly" jumps (no offence to Tara or her fans). But now in order to prevent another Tara, we have a rule that prevents other young skaters, without "girlie" jumps and skating to go to the Olympics. Ironically Tara will be in history books forever as the youngest OGM because under the current rule no one as young as Tara was at the 1998 Olympics could ever enter the Olympics and beat her record. There should be no age limit or newbie limit.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
The Olympics is not about the older and accomplished athletes, it is the same opportunity for everyone who can participate.

Nevertheless, i think the rule was to prevent young athletes from exhausting themselves entering in senior level when their body and mind are not matured enough to handle all this, even emotionally. And to prevent their parents & coaches to push them further in order to fullfill their dreams. Otherwise this 13 old russian girl , Elissaveta, could have taken the gold this year. In gymnastics girls used to arrive at 19 feeling completely useless and old, because the system could use the 13 year olds in big competitions.

That'll be as scary as Faye Dunaway's performance as Joan Crawford in "Mommy Dearest"! NO MORE WIRE HANGERS, EVER!!!!...I can see it now... Joubert skates 1st in the final flight, and thought he got it....
Is this thread created to trash Joubert, Evgeni or whoever we dont like??:frown2: Not funny and it is a turn off.

Even we dont like some skaters, at least there is a funny approach (BoP post:bow:), that was very funny.:p

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Is this thread created to trash Joubert, Evgeni or whoever we dont like??:frown2: Not funny and it is a turn off.

Even we dont like some skaters, at least there is a funny approach (BoP post:bow:), that was very funny.:p

But why doesn't it turn you off when Evan and Rachael get trashed? Or is it only NOT funny when your personal favorites get trashed?
Sorry but what a double standard :disagree:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Hmm..Since when is Joubert my personal fav???
I used an example because it was the last post above mine. I didnt read any sharking comments or mocking pics for Evan and Rachel in this thread except for being on a nightmare podium, maybe I skipped them?
Read back what I have written concerning nightmare podiums anyway.

ARipp42014

Medalist
Hmm..Since when is Joubert my personal fav???
I used an example because it was the last post above mine. I didnt read any sharking comments or mocking pics for Evan and Rachel in this thread except for being on a nightmare podium, maybe I skipped them?
Read back what I have written concerning nightmare podiums anyway.

Sorry! Just bringing some humor to the whole "will Brian have an epic freak out if he finishes 4th or lower and everyone above him does not have a quad". I do have the utmost respect for Brian and his quads (and for every skater, even though some are not my cup of tea) and if it came across as "trashing" him, sorry. Then again anyone have a Joan Crawford "NO MORE WIRE HANGERS" freak out at the Olympics would be scary.

All I really want is no splatfests and fair judging on all events.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I agree with Buttercup's recent post on this topic.
Let's not trash any skaters or complain too much until after they have skated and we have seen the podiums.

Yes, I believe you did skip the "sharking comments" about Evan and Rachael at this topic. That is your choice but then don't sound so upset if Plushy is getting trashed because he is not the only one.

I think this is an unfortunate thread but it seems to be very popular with GS posters.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
In the post I used as just an example Joubert was the one mentioned if finished fourth not Plush, but thanx for giving me directions how to behave here.

janetfan

Match Penalty
In the post I used as just an example Joubert was the one mentioned if finished fourth not Plush, but thanx for giving me directions how to behave here.

I could say "look who's talking" ;)

Back on topic - what is all this talk about Joubert NOT being able to handle a 4th place finish? Wouldn't that be better than a 6th place finish or an 8th place finish?

Is he really such a poor sportsman?

I remember Joubert's disappointing performance at TEB this season and comments young skater Adam Rippon made about Joubert. He said something like "Brian came back and shook his hand and congratulated him on winning his first Sr GP medal."

Rippon said he thought it was a very nice thing for Joubert to do - and that Joubert's kind gesture meant alot to him and made him very happy.

I hope Brian skates his best in Vancouver and I supsect no matter what the results are he will handle it with class and good sportsmanship. I like his interviews and never take them too seriously even if they can be fun to talk about.

Last edited:

BigJohn

On the Ice
Back on topic - what is all this talk about Joubert NOT being able to handle a 4th place finish? Wouldn't that be better than a 6th place finish or an 8th place finish?

Well any interview I saw of people finishing 4rth at the Olympics said it was the worse feeling in the world. Just saying.

Also, there are many threads I do not like or approve of, and what I do about them is simply ignore them, not read them, and certainly not post in them. I mean come on... Don't be party poopers. Fine if you consider yourself above this thread, but actions (or lack of in this case) speak louder than words .

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Well any interview I saw of people finishing 4rth at the Olympics said it was the worse feeling in the world. Just saying.

Also, there are many threads I do not like or approve of, and what I do about them is simply ignore them, not read them, and certainly not post in them. I mean come on... Don't be party poopers. Fine if you consider yourself above this thread, but actions (or lack of in this case) speak louder than words .

Fair enough points but it might seem to some there is quite a difference in arguing about the results of a competition as opposed to wishing bad luck to certain skaters or as Buttercup mentioned - trashing them before they have even skated. Last time i checked this thread was not locked and only availbale tor posters who agree with it's premise.

Maybe you don't agree ot see any difference but I do. I am opinionated and I have my favorites like many here do. But I will not have a "nightmare" if certain skaters win medals in Vancouver.

seniorita

Record Breaker
funny janetfan after all the double standar I have we seem to agree, i m quoting myself
Is this thread created to trash Joubert, Evgeni or whoever we dont like??:frown2:
and I had just said the same as you. Maybe i dont have as much softisticated english but that was my point. I didnt know I had to make a list of all eligible skaters, I thought whoever covered that.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I don't see anything wrong with this thread. Sports fans do this all the time for the major sports- what makes skating any different? ;) That is, if you believe it ;)

janetfan

Match Penalty
I know how to make this thread credible. Simply take you dream podium and say that your nightmare podium would be one without said skaters x, y, and z.

You are always so tricky AJ.

I get that this topic is mostly for fun and it's OK with me. The plain truth is I don't have a Nightmare podium.
I am not a big Joubert fan - but I am not against him either. Maybe he needs to medal or not finish 4th :laugh: - either way I hope he brings his best to Vancouver.

I don't have a dream podium either - maybe I am lacking in imagination :biggrin:

I do have a reality podium OK. Does that count :think:

futureidol

On the Ice
I gotta add another nightmare: NBC showing a fluff on Johnny Gaga singing to Carrie Underwood's "Before He Cheats" during their broadcast. If you haven't seen it, it's on the nbcolympics.com under videos.

(wait that might possibly happen)

And I agree Wicked... I don't think Brian would take it well if he finishes 4th. But I think it could be a reality. :cry:

Oh the more Johnny fluff the better! Pour it on NBC! That clip was adorable BTW. I think all the non-Johnny fans may be a little bit jealous that Johnny gets all the press and publicity. But that's because he has a personality, he's witty, constantly entertaining, true to himself, and he's magnetic, artistic and just all around fabulous. He is a global phenomenon and a superstar. No matter how many golds Evan and Jeremy collect they can never reach the superstar legend status that Johnny is achieving as we speak. And watch out Vancouver he's ready to rock the tassel!

sillylionlove

Medalist
I don't think that there is anything wrong with saying who you don't want to win. That being said if the mens podium includes Plushenko, Joubert and/or Lambiel I will be very disappointed.

If Shen/Zhao do not win gold I will probably scream very loudly.

If Domina and Shablin or Dolebel and Schoenfelder win any medal I will scream very, very loudly.

i love to skate

Medalist
Oh, the thread is all in good fun people! Relax!

I think this is an unfortunate thread but it seems to be very popular with GS posters.

There were many "unfortunate threads" and posts about Rachael Flatt after she won Nationals too. This thread is sunshine and butterflies compared to those posts....

Last edited:

prettykeys

Medalist
I know how to make this thread credible. Simply take you dream podium and say that your nightmare podium would be one without said skaters x, y, and z.

Already did that. Page 5. :p

Although I didn't list just a "dream podium", I listed other "acceptables" as well.