Is Mirai the next Sasha? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Is Mirai the next Sasha?

Marrymeyunakim

On the Ice
Mirai, if anything, reminds me of a much bigger version Sasha. Faster, more powerful, bigger jumps but less nimble, (slightly) less flexible and less musical.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Maybe Rachael a little, I would say Mirai is definitely under the radar. With so much focus on Yuna and Mao, pretty much everyone else is under the radar, with the exception of Joannie Rochette because she's the hometown girl and Miki Ando because of four years ago and her quad and good results this season, maybe Carolina too because she finally stopped imploding and just won Euros. I think this will be to the American girls' advantage though, the lack of expectation.

It's good to hear other (the outside worlds) perspective. It let's me know how the real worlds impression is. I am paying more attention to the USA Olympic team this year than any before I have felt from the moment of Nationals start Marai had a chance for gold. And when she talks about her part in the future of F.S. I hope she realizes that COULD be a "two ..... three time Olympic gold Medalist." :)

silverlake22

Record Breaker
It's good to hear other (the outside worlds) perspective. It let's me know how the real worlds impression is. I am paying more attention to the USA Olympic team this year than any before I have felt from the moment of Nationals start Marai had a chance for gold. And when she talks about her part in the future of F.S. I hope she realizes that COULD be a "two ..... three time Olympic gold Medalist." :)

Oh gosh I hope you're right! I agree that Mirai is awesome and hope the judges here do too!

tarotx

On the Ice
I guess Mirai can be the next Sasha: 4th at their first Olympics skating to Carmen :) JK I love both ladies to pieces and hope to see both skate great programs the next 4 years though I expect (and kind of want) Sasha to just be tour pieces.

pshla

Rinkside
Yes. I loved Sasha, and today I fell in love with Mirai. She really has the 'it" factor. She just has to be more consistent and mature a little, and she'll be right up there with Mao and Yuna.

janetfan

Match Penalty
What a great skate from Mirai last night! Maybe skating last suits her - and I thought she really finished off a great evening of skating with a stylish and excting performance.

So much talent and looking forward to seeing her next season. I predict many podiums for Mirai and it feels good to have a USA Lady ready to join the elites.
Go Mirai

R.D.

Record Breaker
Strange that comparisons between these two skaters are being made. I don't think they are alike at all. Cohen has a tense, fragile presence on the ice while Nagasu has guts and spunk (when she's on). They both do uber-flexy moves, I guess, but besides that they have their own styles. Plus, the circumstances in which both skaters finished fourth are completely different as well...Cohen fell, literally, from 3rd to 4th, while Nagasu pulled UP to 4th from 6th, doing almost the best she could have done. I hope, and think, that she might emerge as the leading American.

USFS did Cohen a favor by not putting her on the team. She'd have been decimated by this field, the strongest field ever, arguably...Mirai's 4th place effort would probably have won her a medal in Torino...I was impressed, not one fall among the skaters in the final flight, that must be some sort of record...

P.S. Is 7th the lowest finish at Olys ever for a US ladies champ???

Last edited:

Ren

On the Ice
Strange that comparisons between these two skaters are being made. I don't think they are alike at all. Cohen has a tense, fragile presence on the ice while Nagasu has guts and spunk (when she's on). They both do uber-flexy moves, I guess, but besides that they have their own styles. Plus, the circumstances in which both skaters finished fourth are completely different as well...Cohen fell, literally, from 3rd to 4th, while Nagasu pulled UP to 4th from 6th, doing almost the best she could have done. I hope, and think, that she might emerge as the leading American.

Also, she has a Frank Carroll to guide her who seems to be having success at making her listen to him when it counts. :)

rtureck

Final Flight
For the sake of US Skating I hope we see more of the Olympic and World medals Sasha won for USA.
5th place may be good to new fans - but many of us think of that as a major disappointment. In fact this may be the first Olympics in decades when a US Lady will not be on the podium.

It is very clear we not only need more girls with Sasha's competitive record but her beautiful, stlylish skating is already missed.

I prefer USA furture lady skaters have
Dorothy, Kristi, Peggy, Tara and MK type of competitive record. Beauty and style has nothing to do with competitive record. Beauty and style is completely subjective, you think Sasha has beauty and style other may think she does not. If she is missed so much, good news, the answer is star on ice, or is she stilll working on a Hollywood career? I hope and wish for Nagasu a competitive record more similar to Dorothy, Peggy, Krisit, Tara or MK's. She definitely has the potential, work ethics to totally outperform Sasha's record, Oh BTW, Nagasu's jr record exceeds Sasha's. So far her senior record beats Sasha's (age adjusted of course). How old was Nagasu when she won nats?

janetfan

Match Penalty
I prefer USA furture lady skaters have
Dorothy, Kristi, Peggy, Tara and MK type of competitive record. Beauty and style has nothing to do with competitive record. Beauty and style is completely subjective, you think Sasha has beauty and style other may think she does not. If she is missed so much, good news, the answer is star on ice, or is she stilll working on a Hollywood career? I hope and wish for Nagasu a competitive record more similar to Dorothy, Peggy, Krisit, Tara or MK's. She definitely has the potential, work ethics to totally outperform Sasha's record, Oh BTW, Nagasu's jr record exceeds Sasha's. So far her senior record beats Sasha's (age adjusted of course). How old was Nagasu when she won nats?

I hope Mirai will have a great skating career. Before she can equal Michelle she has to equal or surpass Sasha. Those are just the facts and noboby is a bigger Mirai fan than me.

Last night Mirai finished 4th at her first Olympics. That is exactly what Sasha did at her first Olympics.
At her next Olympics Sasha won Silver. I hope Mirai can do as well or even better. And leading into the next Olympics I hope Mirai can win multiple World medals like Sasha did, or even a WC.

No one wants Mirai to do well more than me. To disregard Sasha's accomplishments is your choice but it doesn't change the facts or erase Sasha's fine Intl record.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I hope Mirai will have a great skating career. Before she can equal Michelle she has to equal or surpass Sasha. Those are just the facts and noboby is a bigger Mirai fan than me.

Last night Mirai finished 4th at her first Olympics. That is exactly what Sasha did at her first Olympics.
At her next Olympics Sasha won Silver. I hope Mirai can do as well or even better. And leading into the next Olympics I hope Mirai can win multiple World medals like Sasha did, or even a WC.

No one wants Mirai to do well more than me. To disregard Sasha's accomplishments is your choice but it doesn't change the facts or erase Sasha's fine Intl record.

I love Mirai, and while she has some similarities with Sasha, I think what makes her so great is that she is unique. Furthermore, she is not only flexible and elegant but also fast and her jumps have become big and powerful! Most importantly, she is consistent and a great competitor! How many times has she skated last and skated clean and beautifully? She is a shining star and I'm glad people are finally starting to take notice. Your rock Mirai! :agree:

dlgpffps

Final Flight
I have one thing to say after having seen her Olympic LP:

She will be even better:thumbsup:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I have one thing to say after having seen her Olympic LP:

She will be even better:thumbsup:

and she was robbed of a medal, like Sasha was. Both finished 4th in their olympic and international debut at the age of 16 as they skated to Carmen.

Layfan

Record Breaker
What a great skate from Mirai last night! Maybe skating last suits her - and I thought she really finished off a great evening of skating with a stylish and excting performance.

So much talent and looking forward to seeing her next season. I predict many podiums for Mirai and it feels good to have a USA Lady ready to join the elites.
Go Mirai

One difference between Sasha and Mirai is that Sasha was considered a medal contender in Salt Lake even if it was her first major international competition. Mirai was not. I'm sure nobody will be underestimating Mirai anymore.:biggrin:

R.D.

Record Breaker
We'll have to see if any of the Olympic medalists retire. As of now I see only Asada sticking around, but who knows.

janetfan

Match Penalty
and she was robbed of a medal, like Sasha was. Both finished 4th in their olympic and international debut at the age of 16 as they skated to Carmen.

I feel OK with the podium last night. The SP scores bothered me more, especially seeing Rachael and Miki placed over Mirai.

About Joannie - I thought her SP was wonderful and that she did enough to hold 3rd last night. Maybe there is no place for sentimentality but it felt right seeing Joannie on the podium last night.

It showed many things - that Ladies don't have to peak at 19, that technical flaws can be corrected with hard work, and that skating can still be about the heart. Joannie may not have been perfect last night but her program is beautiful and sophisticated and her brave performances were a gift to the skakting world.

Last edited:

miki88

Medalist
I think last night definitely showed Mirai has huge potential. She seems to have the speed of Yuna, flexibility of Mao, and the engaging artistry of Michelle. If she continues to polish her technique, I think she has the potential to be one of the greats.

janetfan

Match Penalty
We'll have to see if any of the Olympic medalists retire. As of now I see only Asada sticking around, but who knows.

Rachael may retire too - even NBC noted last night her homework was getting backed up :laugh:

I think Christina will be ready for next season and see Mirai and Christina as our new #1 and #2 Ladies. The third is never as important so whether it is Rachael, Ashley or someone else is no biggie.

Last edited:

dlgpffps

Final Flight

If only she had international credit to back her up... :scowl: Even if she had that national title... Well, at least no one will rule her out now. I see a bright future ahead of her. She reminds me of Sasha a lot, and that bodes well ;)