Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Olympic CD

Custom Title
    Wow, that was interesting to waqtch all of these videos!
    If I don't mention the fall of Delobel/Schoenfelder, I find the order is like that ( out of recent couples)as top 6.
    1. Virtue/Moir. Fantastic. Perfect technique and "tango-feeling" with a lots of small extra , which creates a feeling it is not even a CD.
    2.Delobel/Schoenfelder. They dancing EXTREMLY closed to each other. They tough with strength, power.
    3.Faiella/Scali. Surprisingly good. The techique is almost perfect.They have the strength, the closenest to each other, and clean edges.
    4.Davis/White. The fastest and most virtuos in its edges. A bit less "tango-feeling".Very clean technique.
    5.Domnina/Shabalin. Good edges, elegant. They are really dancing far from each other. In this way it is the worse of all.
    She can have a little bit more strong" tango" carriage.
    6.Pechalat/Bourzat. very good "tango-feeling". Good edges. Could be slightly more precise.

Let's see what is happening.
    It is really a good part of the competition. The only problem, judges can use their "reputation PC points 3 times during the competition....)

Custom Title
    Check this out. Elena Tchaikovskaya is visiting with D/W and V/M this week before the start of the games to help them with the CD (which she of course designed along with Pakhomova and Gorshkov).

http://www.freep.com/article/2010020...on-ice-dancers

This is really exciting news!
    Last edited by jcoates; 02-08-2010 at 10:39 PM.

Exclamation Elena Tchaikovskaya, A great Russian coach who deserves more recognition

Quote Originally Posted by jcoates View Post
    Check this out. Elena Tchaikovskaya is visiting with D/W and V/M this week before the start of the games to help them with the CD (which she of course designed along with Pahkamova and Gorshkov).

http://www.freep.com/article/2010020...on-ice-dancers

This is really exciting news!
    Elena Tchaikovskaya is a Russian Coach who I have a lot of respect for. She did great work for teams like Drobiasko & Vanagas. I love how Maria Butyrskaya talked about her at the 98 Games as a "strong woman". I think it is fantastic that she is helping out two great American couples with the intention of having them perform their best in the compulsory dance!

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    That's excellent news!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skatetomusic View Post
    Elena Tchaikovskaya is a Russian Coach who I have a lot of respect for. She did great work for teams like Drobiasko & Vanagas. I love how Maria Butyrskaya talked about her at the 98 Games as a "strong woman". I think it is fantastic that she is helping out two great American couples with the intention of having them perform their best in the compulsory dance!
    Agreed. Tchaikovskaya's influence is all over these Olympics. Her Tango Romantica is the CD. She coached Linichuk and Karpanosov as well as Zoueva (at the same time). Igor was coached by Tchaikovskaya's star pupil, Pakhomova. Now four of the top medal contenders are recipients of that influence through their current coaches. Pretty nice story. Good to see her getting some attention. Her record as a coach is overlooked far too often.

I've got to say, it's a bit odd to be having her work on D&W's and V&M's TR at this late a date. It seems that right after the GPF would have been the time to do some tweaking of their form. This is an odd thought...I wonder if Igor is trying to settle an argument between the two couples as to the character of the TR. D&W are doing a more ballroom tango, at least to my eye, and V&M are doing what I think of as a Canadian tango-to get what I mean, check out the OSP of Wilson & McCall at the 1988 Winter Olympics. The ISU document specifies 'some syncopation' to convey the character of the tango. For me, D&W have maybe too much (but frankly, it's no more than Grishuk & Platov) and V&M have too little. However, that's part of the timing, I wouldn't think you should be fiddling with it this late in the game.

I hope she's doing nothing more than adjust head and hand motions.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    I've got to say, it's a bit odd to be having her work on D&W's and V&M's TR at this late a date. It seems that right after the GPF would have been the time to do some tweaking of their form. This is an odd thought...I wonder if Igor is trying to settle an argument between the two couples as to the character of the TR. D&W are doing a more ballroom tango, at least to my eye, and V&M are doing what I think of as a Canadian tango-to get what I mean, check out the OSP of Wilson & McCall at the 1988 Winter Olympics. The ISU document specifies 'some syncopation' to convey the character of the tango. For me, D&W have maybe too much (but frankly, it's no more than Grishuk & Platov) and V&M have too little. However, that's part of the timing, I wouldn't think you should be fiddling with it this late in the game.

I hope she's doing nothing more than adjust head and hand motions.
    Agree it is strange timing but we will have to see what improvements, if any, she makes in their respective presentations. American judge for the CD is Charlie Cyr.

Custom Title
    It could also be just a nice piece of PR engineered by Marina to put the spotlight on the NA teams and to suggest to the judges that these two teams have the approval of the dance's designer. I doubt that major changes will be made. Likely more of a pep talk to absorb her thoughts on what sort of feeling to convey.

Well 2 days for a pep talk is rather long, and getting her to Canton just for a pep talk that could be done over the phone perhaps, is a very expensive undertaking.

Still, it does put the spotlight on the two teams, both medal contenders, in a very equal & positive way. Nice PR move by Igor & Marina, I think.

Custom Title
    Here's more coverage on the training session Tchaikovskaya had with V/M and D/W.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...981/story.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2