Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Ladies Short Program

I watched Mao's SP. I have to say that I was not impressed at all. Just nothing really great about her programs this season. I used to watch her programs over and over and never got tired of watching them. Since last season, I only watch once and that's it. Mao said she's been struggling with the flip jump since the begining of this season. Isn't this why you need a coach who can point out what might be causing her to struggle with one of her favorite jumps? I can't see her medaling at this Olympics at this point. She'll end up somewhere around 5th and 8th.

Quote Originally Posted by aurora100 View Post
    Kwak will grow up to be an older Kwak. She reminds me of Yuna the most but she is even in better form than Yuna was at her age.
    I don't think so. At Kwak's current age (16) Yuna was breaking world records and getting much higher scores in SP (60-70 range compared to 53 for Kwak.) Also Kwak skates rather cautiously and with not much speed. I don't think Kwak will get anywhere near Yuna's level or even be a rival for any of the up and coming ladies.

As for Mao, I think people should not be giving up on her just from this SP. I know it wasn't one of her better efforts but hopefully she'll regroup and do much better in the FS. It is concerning that her skating seems not a spirited as before. Maybe she's worried about Tat being hospitalized. Anyway, I'm pretty sure that she'll do fine tomorrow.

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix347 View Post
    I don't think so. At Kwak's current age (16) Yuna was breaking world records and getting much higher scores in SP (60-70 range compared to 53 for Kwak.) Also Kwak skates rather cautiously and with not much speed. I don't think Kwak will get anywhere near Yuna's level or even be a rival for any of the up and coming ladies.

As for Mao, I think people should not be giving up on her just from this SP. I know it wasn't one of her better efforts but hopefully she'll regroup and do much better in the FS. It is concerning that her skating seems not a spirited as before. Maybe she's worried about Tat being hospitalized. Anyway, I'm pretty sure that she'll do fine tomorrow.
    I will never give up on Mao. Actually, I am okay with her making mistakes if this could help her rework somethings in her layout for the Olympics. Isn't this what this competition is for her? A preparation for the Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix347 View Post

I gave up on Mao not for this SP. I gave up on her when she decided to keep on going with Tarasova(even though she isn't there 100% of the time) and when she decided not to change her horribly choreographed programs.

Custom Title
    I will NEVER give up on Mao because I am a lifelong fan, not a fairweather one. The latter type is only there when good things are happening, whereas the former is there no matter what, through the good times & the bad!

My favorites been Miki and Mirai but I really loved Mao's programs.until she left Aurtunian. I really don't enjoy Mao's programs anymore, she is no longer elegant nor graceful. Plus she thinks her mom and she can coach herself.. no wonder her jumps are getting worse. She is just too stubborn. That turned me off. I have to say, Yuna's programs are beautifully choreographed. I can't see Mao winning with that programs. I so totally see Yuna, Joannie or Miki winning because their programs are very intelligently choreographed to their strengths, unlike Mao's. It's almost as if she wanted to fail so bad or Tarasova did, otherwise you wouldn't make programs to show case your weaknesses.

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    My favorites been Miki and Mirai but I really loved Mao's programs.until she left Aurtunian. I really don't enjoy Mao's programs anymore, she is no longer elegant nor graceful. Plus she thinks her mom and she can coach herself.. no wonder her jumps are getting worse. She is just too stubborn. That turned me off. I have to say, Yuna's programs are beautifully choreographed. I can't see Mao winning with that programs. I so totally see Yuna, Joannie or Miki winning because their programs are very intelligently choreographed to their strengths, unlike Mao's. It's almost as if she wanted to fail so bad or Tarasova did, otherwise you wouldn't make programs to show case your weaknesses.
    I don't think Mao's mom coaches her at all. I dunno about Miki's programs....... especially her LP costume.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    What do u mean everything in their arsenal? Do you mean all the jumps? Because no current female skater has a complete set of jumps.
    I would say Joannie has the complete set of jumps (except triple axel)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by hikki View Post
    Unfortunately my guess is that Mao is too proud to 'settle' for less at this moment... Better fail with ambitious contents than being 'just good.'
    But Mao's triple axel strategy is not an "ambitious contents", going by the threads, it's a "defensive contents". She has to keep trying her triple axels because she lack triple triple combo and reliable triple lutz and sal. That's what keeps in risky situation every time she's out. She knows it and that keeps her defensive.

On the Ice
    Im shocked that Amelie and the rest of the Canadians did so poorly. They have the content and skills. bad showing

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aurora100 View Post
    But Mao's triple axel strategy is not an "ambitious contents", going by the threads, it's a "defensive contents". She has to keep trying her triple axels because she lack triple triple combo and reliable triple lutz and sal. That's what keeps in risky situation every time she's out. She knows it and that keeps her defensive.
    I completely agree with you. My message would've been clearer had I put "" in "ambitious" contents.

Again as worried as I am, I wish her the best of luck.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
    I will NEVER give up on Mao because I am a lifelong fan, not a fairweather one. The latter type is only there when good things are happening, whereas the former is there no matter what, through the good times & the bad!
    I will never stop rooting for her, and expecting her to turn it around, but as for this season, (and probably next unless she makes a major coaching change) I will stop expecting Gold medals. I will just keep hoping.

Custom Title
    I just have to say one thing. Flip escapes the ladies in olympic seasons.
    Seriously, what's with all these ladies changing their flip technique? Mao, Yuna, Carolina, etc. Yuna had a legit reason to work on it, but why Mao and Carolina? They had gorgeous flip before, and now it's MIA.

mylastduchess
    How did Mao get a time penalty she finished right on time?

Quote Originally Posted by mylastduchess View Post
    How did Mao get a time penalty she finished right on time?
    Your answer on page 7:

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory View Post
    Her music is arranged within 2:53" from the begining. The judge starts counting from when Mao starts moving. At the begining of the program, Mao keeps posing for a second even after the music starts, so she is usually able to finish the program within 2:50". But this time, she started moving a little faster than usual. That's why she got the time penaltiy even though she finished the program on the timing when the music stopped.

I've borrowed the Japanese media's explanation

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast