Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Ladies Short Program

Custom Title
    Here are some articles on SP. I think Mao should have dropped her 3A. ugh.
    Icenetwork:

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

" The short program still remains a big hurdle for Mao Asada.
    Asada cheated her triple Axel and singled a flip in the ladies short program on Wednesday at the Four Continents Figure Skating Championships. The mistakes placed her in third with 57.22 points.

Asada was very unhappy with herself for the downgraded Axel and the single flip.

"I am disappointed, because I couldn't do two of my highest scoring jumps. It's not good to make mistakes, but it's better that it happened now than at the Olympics," the Japanese Champion explained. "I'm really irritated about the errors."

ESPN

http://sports.espn.go.com/olympics/w...ory?id=4862447

JEONJU, South Korea -- Japan's Akiko Suzuki took the lead Wednesday at the Four Continents championship while favorite Mao Asada was third after a flawed performance in the women's short program.

Asada, the 2008 world champion, underrotated her trademark triple axel and also popped a triple flip.
    Last edited by figurejennah; 01-28-2010 at 02:50 AM.

I feel that the takeoff of Mao's 3A looked strange. She pre-rotated really a lot. I do not think that she did so before as much as that. But she says that she did it in the same way as her practices. Strange..... I agree with miki88 that her 3A was better at nationals.

Custom Title
    Interesting that both Christina Gao and Murakami placed 5th at Senior Nationals. Stylistically Murakami might have the edge but Christina's jumps are perfection! wonder how junior worlds will play out

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    I feel that the takeoff of Mao's 3A looked strange. She pre-rotated really a lot. I do not think that she did so before as much as that. But she says that she did it in the same way as her practices. Strange..... I agree with miki88 that her 3A was better at nationals.
    I think Mao's jump mechanism is irrecoverable.. It's gone long time ago.

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
    I disagree, I think she will attempt it; she has all season long, even at Japan Nationals. No stopping now nor taking the coward's way out IMHO. The only thing I wish/pray for is that she does *not* pop jumps or double them. That will be her downfall, as we saw in the SP. JMHO, of course.
    But the Japanese media even devoted a news section for her backup plan, so I think it's important enough for her to publicize it. And seeing that she didn't get 3A ratified in SP again, she may go with Plan B. I think that's a better choice but only because I am worried about her. With that said, if Mao really shocks everyone and lands three 3As then it will be a miracle and the most exciting Olympics ever. Cause honestly, the ladies event at Olympics haven't been exciting since '98 where Tara beat Michelle who had a clean skate! Now that's what I call a contest. Here's my ideal scenario: Mao lands three 3As, Miki lands a quad in LP, Yuna breaks 300. Everyone's happy Best Olympics ever

Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    But the Japanese media even devoted a news section for her backup plan, so I think it's important enough for her to publicize it. And seeing that she didn't get 3A ratified in SP again, she may go with Plan B. I think that's a better choice but only because I am worried about her. With that said, if Mao really shocks everyone and lands three 3As then it will be a miracle and the most exciting Olympics ever. Cause honestly, the ladies event at Olympics haven't been exciting since '98 where Tara beat Michelle who had a clean skate! Now that's what I call a contest. Here's my ideal scenario: Mao lands three 3As, Miki lands a quad in LP, Yuna breaks 300. Everyone's happy Best Olympics ever
    300?? Not even Plushenko can do that with his quads! Mao landing 3A is very possible... whether or not if all of them get ratified would be another question. Also, I would doubt that Miki would try a quad at the Olympics. I seriously don't think Morozov would want her to take that kind of risk. I think Yuna would be thankful just to break 200. One that left out is Joannie... I think she's the real dark horse in the games. If she brings her "A" game, it going to be very interesting. She has such good technique on all her jumps. So powerful too.

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix347 View Post
    300?? Not even Plushenko can do that with his quads! Mao landing 3A is very possible... whether or not if all of them get ratified would be another question. Also, I would doubt that Miki would try a quad at the Olympics. I seriously don't think Morozov would want her to take that kind of risk. I think Yuna would be thankful just to break 200. One that left out is Joannie... I think she's the real dark horse in the games. If she brings her "A" game, it going to be very interesting. She has such good technique on all her jumps. So powerful too.
    That's why I said IDEAL situation (meaning highly unlikely ). Oh yea. I left out Joannie. Yea she should skate the lights out and have back to back clean programs. Then it will be a perfect Olympics where all the fans of these skaters can be happy.

Custom Title
    Cause honestly, the ladies event at Olympics haven't been exciting since '98 where Tara beat Michelle who had a clean skate! :
    I wonder if Tara would beat Michelle with the same programs skated under current scoring system. Tara's jumps were so small in height or distance covered she would get no GOE nor in spiral or spins. She got the Gold because she did triple triple combo Michelle didn't have, IMHO

Custom Title
    One that left out is Joannie... I think she's the real dark horse in the games. If she brings her "A" game, it going to be very interesting. She has such good technique on all her jumps. So powerful too.
    The big Q mark for Joanne would be what would skating in Olympic home ice would do for her? She has had inconsistent season, even at the nationals. She was second to Phanef then came back with a strong long program to take the lead although she had a fabulous event at Skate Canada. On balance she does better at home than abroad I feel, so she could have the skate of her life and who knows? That would be something if she brings home the first Ladies (or any gold in figure skating) Olympic Gold for Canada. Goodness knows Canada is "entitled" (I don't like this word but..) to one given how big figure skating is in this country, much more than it ever was in US in its hey day.. as big as it is in Japan I would say

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by aurora100 View Post
    I wonder if Tara would beat Michelle with the same programs skated under current scoring system. Tara's jumps were so small in height or distance covered she would get no GOE nor in spiral or spins. She got the Gold because she did triple triple combo Michelle didn't have, IMHO
    Sometimes, little things like that determines the game. Also Tara was totally on fire that night, while Michelle was more cautious. I still prefer Michelle over Tara, but I have to admit that Tara was a tough competitor and she really rivalled Michelle in a lot of things. It was a different system back then, but I think if she skated under CoP, she'd probably adapt to it quite well.

A Youtube video of Amanda Dobbs' SP. Not the best quality but better than nothing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN9yzgP2HDg

Custom Title
    Sometimes, little things like that determines the game. Also Tara was totally on fire that night, while Michelle was more cautious.
    I agree with you there. Same thing could and would happen if Yuna becomes the new 2010 Michelle, though I havn't figured out who would be the new 2010 Tara. While Yuna has faltered at times this season, largely due to her mental game rather than external threat, she hasn't had a consistent competitive challenger, this Olympic year. I think Rachel is closest Tara for this season. Everyone else has had their own ups and downs.

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by aurora100 View Post
    I agree with you there. Same thing could and would happen if Yuna becomes the new 2010 Michelle, though I havn't figured out who would be the new 2010 Tara. While Yuna has faltered at times this season, largely due to her mental game rather than external threat, she hasn't had a consistent competitive challenger, this Olympic year. I think Rachel is closest Tara for this season. Everyone else has had their own ups and downs.
    Rachel and Tara are on a whole different league. Tara was the previous World Champion going into the Olympics. She was head to head with Michelle. Rachel got lucky cause Yuna faltered at one event, so I don't think she is even close to Tara. IMAO. There is no such rivalry in this pre-Olympic season, which makes it less exciting for me.

Custom Title
    A Youtube video of Amanda Dobbs' SP. Not the best quality but better than nothing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN9yzgP2HDg
    Thanks for the link! I don't want to rain on her parade, but doesn't her salchow look pre-rotated by half a turn? Also, the second toe in the combination looks like a toe axel to me. I am not sure, still trying to learn my jumps

In any case, great job Amada

Down With It
    There is no such rivalry in this pre-Olympic season, which makes it less exciting for me.
    ITA. I can't believe it. The Olympics less than a month away and I can't even muster excitement.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast