Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Ladies Short Program

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    She win here yes. But nobody really cares about winning 4CC, certainly not a skater of Mao's status. The real problem is that unless the ladies short in vancouver is a splatfest, a SP like that from Mao will put her pretty much out of medal contention considering her less than spectaular history concerning the LP this season.
    Sadly, I have to agree you. Mao really cannot make silly mistakes in SP. But maybe it's a good thing she makes mistakes at this non-important event, because it will be really frustrating to get a time deduction at the Olympics. However, maybe not doing well at Olympics can finally make Mao realize she needs a good full time coach. If that is what it takes for her to realize that, then I can accept it.

Quote Originally Posted by ehdtkqorl123 View Post
    If TAT were there with Mao, would the result be different?
    It is hard to anwser that question. But let's consider the last two times Mao skated very well.

That would be last season at WTT and this season at Natls. Tat wasn't there for either event. But Tat is also not at 4CC so the "mini pattern" I alluded to was just broken.

I think another question could be if Tat was actually training Mao full time rather than serving as an advisor and doing her choreo would it make a difference?

I don't know the answer to either question but so much of figure skating depends on consistency. Mao is still super talented but seems to have become inconsistent.

It is easy to think a strong coach working with Mao on a daily basis could make Mao more consistent but there is no proof of that. And doesn't she have Tat's assistant working with her and possibly others?

I think after several years of very successful skating Mao has been greatly effected by some of the recent rule changes in the IJS. The tech callers ever increasing domination of the scoring has hurt Mao alot. We have seen Yuna effected as well with some very questionabe UR's an edge calls on her 3 flip.

It feels like after the Olympics and Worlds ISU will have alot to consider.
    The Ladies events have always been important to ISU but we hear more and more fans shifting their interest to the Men's or team disciplines as the Ladies and CoP are not working out so well.

A step in the right direction might be having less harsh dg's for certain infractions and higher rewards for elements that are performed very well.

This might encourage less conservative and robotic skating and would reward skaters in a more positive way. One thing is sure and that is that we are seeing very few happy looking and relaxed looking Lady skaters this season.

Akiko Suzuki's SP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T4yQrFT0uw

Very nice step sequences.

Former figure skater and HUGE figure skating fan. n_halifax's Avatar
    I have to express a lot of concern with Mao Asada's performance in the SP here. While ANYONE can have an off day, someone who we are to consider a medal contender at the Olympics should not theoretically EVER be finishing below an also ran from U.S. Nationals (no offence to Amanda Dobbs intended). The benefit of the doubt should definitely be given to Mao though - I very well could be eating crow while she nails her FS at this event. Who knows? While I am very concerned with Asada's performance, we can't forget that Caroliina Kostner finished second at her Nationals this season with a disastrous FS and went on to win another European title shortly thereafter. Skating is a slippery sport and anything can and will happen... to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by n_halifax View Post
    I have to express a lot of concern with Mao Asada's performance in the SP here. While ANYONE can have an off day, someone who we are to consider a medal contender at the Olympics should not theoretically EVER be finishing below an also ran from U.S. Nationals (no offence to Amanda Dobbs intended). The benefit of the doubt should definitely be given to Mao though - I very well could be eating crow while she nails her FS at this event. Who knows? While I am very concerned with Asada's performance, we can't forget that Caroliina Kostner finished second at her Nationals this season with a disastrous FS and went on to win another European title shortly thereafter. Skating is a slippery sport and anything can and will happen... to anyone.
    It's too soon to know, but Mao and Carolina don't seem to be having the same problem. Carolina has terrible nerves, but I get the sense it's something else for Mao.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by inskate View Post
    I'm not in agreement about Mirai getting higher PCS in general - maybe PE or IN if she's on fire, bur in terms of SS Mirai's not quite up to the level of Mao/YuNa/Miki/Joannie/CaroK, etc. (though I'm sure she'll get better in time, she's still young and better than most girls her age).
    To me Mirai is like Mao (graceful, flexible with beautiful lines) with much much more speed (in and out of jumps/ spiral/ overall), intricate steps in between (e.g. jump entrances), fire, speed at which she reaches optimum positions, etc. To me this contributes to higher PES, especially SS and transitions.

Yay to Akiko's L4 step!
    Last edited by hikki; 01-27-2010 at 04:35 PM.

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
    It's too soon to know, but Mao and Carolina don't seem to be having the same problem. Carolina has terrible nerves, but I get the sense it's something else for Mao.
    Maybe lack of support and too much pressure. The Japanese media is always hounding her and her coach or whatever TAT's role, is never really present to help her with decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by hikki View Post
    To me Mirai is like Mao (graceful, flexible with beautiful lines) with much much more speed (in and out of jumps/ spiral/ overall), intricate steps in between (e.g. jump entrances), fire, speed at which she reaches optimum positions, etc. To me this contributes to higher PES, especially SS and transitions.

Yay to Akiko's L4 step!
    Mao and Mirai are both lovely skaters, but I think I like Mao's soft fluidity a little more. And Mao's basic skating skills are much stronger (although, it's not an entirely fair comparison as Mirai is 3 years younger.)

I am sad that Mao attends so many competitions without her coach. I know it's not Tat's fault; I just wish Mao had someone who was more of a constant in her training & competing experiences. Also, the deduction for the time of her SP was rather harsh. It didn't disrupt the impression of her program at all...I don't believe in following rules to a Tee "just cuz rules are rules".

And this is no dig at Akiko, but I must admit I am not impressed by what constitutes a "Level 4" step sequence... :indiff:

Quote Originally Posted by prettykeys View Post

And this is no dig at Akiko, but I must admit I am not impressed by what constitutes a "Level 4" step sequence... :indiff:
    Going to have to agree with you on that one.

I think (correct me if I'm wrong) but Kostner is the only other female skater with a Level4 Step: 2007 NHK Carolina Kostner FS (starts at 2:58), but this one too (although good) didn't impress me too much in terms of L4 worthy. But then again I'm not completely familiar with foot work step-sequences so not really able to tell whats difficult or not.

Quote Originally Posted by prettykeys View Post
    She easily has the best footwork in the world. Look at all those turns and steps. If you're not impressed, you should try it!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemom1122 View Post
    She easily has the best footwork in the world. Look at all those turns and steps. If you're not impressed, you should try it!
    I think Mao's footwork in her 2008 SP, 2009 SP, 2009 LP, 2010 LP are way more impressive than Akiko.
    The Euro boys/Dick/Peggy/Kurt/Tracy went gaga for her 2008 SP footwork.
    The Euro boys went nuts for her 2009 LP footwork.

They are only level 3.

Maybe she prerotated her body too much in the footwork portion.

Banned
    Why did Mao bother with this competition?

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by lcd View Post
    Why did Mao bother with this competition?
    Test out her triple axels for the last time before ISU judges and boost her confidence for the Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    Test out her triple axels for the last time before ISU judges and boost her confidence for the Olympics.
    Which is what it was supposed to do, but is not doing so far.

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    Which is what it was supposed to do, but is not doing so far.
    Maybe the result will cause her to change her mind about putting 3A in SP and perhaps put back her 3/3 or at least some other jump. That may actually be the best outcome from this event.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast