Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 182

Thread: Ladies Short Program

  1. #121
    I'm out. aftertherain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,228
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    Maybe the result will cause her to change her mind about putting 3A in SP and perhaps put back her 3/3 or at least some other jump. That may actually be the best outcome from this event.
    Or change her mind about adding so many darn loops (triples AND doubles) into her program.

  2. #122
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    572

    Poor Mao

    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    Maybe the result will cause her to change her mind about putting 3A in SP and perhaps put back her 3/3 or at least some other jump. That may actually be the best outcome from this event.
    I feel for Mao. I asked the same question. My understanding is, and someone can correct me on this, that Mao doesn't have a consistent reliable triple triple combo. She has a problem with lutz and she has been called on a flip for wrong edge or the other way around with lutz. This is why she keeps doing triple axel because that is the only way for her to stay competitive with the other top contenders. Which is so taxing on her since triple axel is not a reliable even for men. How many great men have lost gold medals because the axel just wasn't for them. I can think of one. Four time world champion Kurt Browning. Axel left him in 92 and 94 Olympics. Mao went to 4cc to blow away the field. She has a lot of work to do in the long. But she needed a good short too for confidence and silence the dissenters.

  3. #123
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    4,221

    Thumbs up

    Haven't read the thread, too long, but will do so later.

    Just wanted to say that I just now watched Mao Asada's SP here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imvIz8Wrt_o

    And she impressed me, which I wasn't expecting, after my total emptiness inside after Nationals. By the way, I DO CARE about ladies skating (not just the USA, but the World). What I said after Nationals was true, for the moment (lol), I said what I felt at the time. But that has changed, I'm feeling better after a rather disappointing Nationals; I wouldn't consider it one for the ages, like 2008 Nationals was!

    Back to Mao, loooooooooove the Desert Rose pink dress (always have ), and the music lifts me up & makes me want to dance/waltz. And she gave it her all despite the very slight cheat on the 3A (almost 90 degrees, but no cigar, around 120 degrees), but it was the popped 3F that really did her in. Still, it was the performance that impressed me the most! She was so into her other elements, the dance, the character of the peformance ~ everything just flowed from one element to another ~ lovely spirals & spins & speed as well. Odd, Sasha Cohen was the total opposite in her FS at Nationals; her & Mao switched this time. Oops, one more thing I noticed, Mao's 2A was TERRIFIC! I would have given her all +++GOE on it. Her 2A reminds me of Tonya Harding's 3A, both almost overrotated, that's how good they are, no cheat there whatsoever!

    GOOOOOOOO MAO-CHAN!!!!
    Last edited by Nadine; 01-27-2010 at 09:04 PM. Reason: lol, misspelled overrotated, from overrated to overrotated! (:^D

  4. #124
    I'm out. aftertherain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,228
    Quote Originally Posted by nadine View Post
    haven't read the thread, too long, but will do so later.

    ....

    back to mao, loooooooooove the desert rose pink dress (always have ), and the music lifts me up & makes me want to dance/waltz. And she gave it her all despite the very slight cheat on the 3a (almost 90 degrees, but no cigar, around 120 degrees), but it was the popped 3f that really did her in. Still, it was the performance that impressed me the most! She was so into her other elements, the dance, the character of the peformance ~ everything just flowed from one element to another ~ lovely spirals & spins & speed as well. Odd, sasha cohen was the total opposite in her fs at nationals; her & mao switched this time. Oops, one more thing i noticed, mao's 2a was terrific! I would have given her all +++goe on it. Her 2a reminds me of tonya harding's 3a, both almost overrated, that's how good they are, no cheat there whatsoever!
    ...
    RIGHT THERE. I DISAGREE. I don't like it 'cause it just looks like there's a mass of something that shouldn't be there on her chest. ><

  5. #125
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    4,221
    P.S. I wish I could see Mao skate both her SP & LP at the Olympics; same for Evgeni. But, unfortunately, I'm not rich (lol), and can't afford to spend $10,000+ on eight tickets. Otherwise I would be there cheering her on!!!! But nevertheless I will be doing so from the comfort of my house & television set.

  6. #126
    Mashimaro on Ice
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,418
    Quote Originally Posted by aurora100 View Post
    I feel for Mao. I asked the same question. My understanding is, and someone can correct me on this, that Mao doesn't have a consistent reliable triple triple combo. She has a problem with lutz and she has been called on a flip for wrong edge or the other way around with lutz. This is why she keeps doing triple axel because that is the only way for her to stay competitive with the other top contenders. Which is so taxing on her since triple axel is not a reliable even for men. How many great men have lost gold medals because the axel just wasn't for them. I can think of one. Four time world champion Kurt Browning. Axel left him in 92 and 94 Olympics. Mao went to 4cc to blow away the field. She has a lot of work to do in the long. But she needed a good short too for confidence and silence the dissenters.
    She has problems with the lutz. I don't think she has a big problem with the flip (she did a good one at Nationals). Her 3F-3Lo tends to get UR but I heard she was getting better with 3F-3T before she ditched it. Actually Mao's combo and 3A have about the same risk, so I think she chose axel because it's her trademark and she just likes the jump the most. She also likes loop and doesn't like toe or salcow that much.

  7. #127
    I'm out. aftertherain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,228
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    She has problems with the lutz. I don't think she has a big problem with the flip (she did a good one at Nationals). Her 3F-3Lo tends to get UR but I heard she was getting better with 3F-3T before she ditched it. Actually Mao's combo and 3A have about the same risk, so I think she chose axel because it's her trademark and she just likes the jump the most. She also likes loop and doesn't like toe or salcow that much.
    What about her 3L-3L?

  8. #128
    Mashimaro on Ice
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,418
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    What about her 3L-3L?
    Um I don't think she did that in competition before.

  9. #129
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    572
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    She has problems with the lutz. I don't think she has a big problem with the flip (she did a good one at Nationals). Her 3F-3Lo tends to get UR but I heard she was getting better with 3F-3T before she ditched it. Actually Mao's combo and 3A have about the same risk, so I think she chose axel because it's her trademark and she just likes the jump the most. She also likes loop and doesn't like toe or salcow that much.
    But her axel is not working!!!! At this points, it has to be almost a sure thing to work for her! She blew both of her grand prix assignments (in France and Russia) because of those darn axels that she could not land. She salvaged it at her nationals but now in her first international assignment after nationals, and her last international before the Olympics, she is under rotating it, which is like doing a double axel, double toe combo while other ladies will be doing triple triple combo. And when they fail, they get marked for triple double at least, not double double. Mao, drop the axel!!:banging:

  10. #130
    I'm out. aftertherain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,228
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    Um I don't think she did that in competition before.
    Which is why I was asking ... 'cause I saw it here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tN3kFdYskQ and not in competition.

  11. #131
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    448
    If she can't do a 3-3 just do a 3-2. I mean, you're Mao Asada, you're going to get strong GOEs on completed elements and insanely high PCs just from rotating and staying on your feet. So you won't beat Yuna, who cares? At least you won't have totally screwed yourself out of a medal altogether by chasing impossible jumps.

  12. #132
    Mashimaro on Ice
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,418
    Quote Originally Posted by aurora100 View Post
    But her axel is not working!!!! At this points, it has to be almost a sure thing to work for her! She blew both of her grand prix assignments (in France and Russia) because of those darn axels that she could not land. She salvaged it at her nationals but now in her first international assignment after nationals, and her last international before the Olympics, she is under rotating it, which is like doing a double axel, double toe combo while other ladies will be doing triple triple combo. And when they fail, they get marked for triple double at least, not double double. Mao, drop the axel!!:banging:
    She has a backup plan in which she replaces 3A with 3lo in the SP(she loves her loops). But she will keep the 3As in the long. I do kinda think Mao is being stubborn with her layout but I also can't help but feel this is partly TAT's fault. I mean Mao can't come up with the layout all on her own.
    Last edited by miki88; 01-27-2010 at 09:30 PM.

  13. #133
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    572
    Quote Originally Posted by Kissx3 View Post
    If she can't do a 3-3 just do a 3-2. I mean, you're Mao Asada, you're going to get strong GOEs on completed elements and insanely high PCs just from rotating and staying on your feet. So you won't beat Yuna, who cares? At least you won't have totally screwed yourself out of a medal altogether by chasing impossible jumps.
    Exactly, but she is going to try to two triple axels in long. If it works great, if she falls, not great, if she gets down graded and she would end up being marked for like four double axels (as I would assume she would be putting in couple of real double axels in the long). I don't know. I don't understand this strategy. If I were Mao, I wouldn't want to go into the most stressful competition of my life, with the most stressful element, that I must make TWICE, to stand a chance. That's putting too much load on those narrow shoulders. The girls gotta have fun at some point

  14. #134
    Custom Title Phoenix347's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    661
    I don't think Mao can drop the triple Axel right now. She doesn't do the Lutz anymore and even the Salchow is missing. That leaves her with 3T, 3Lo, 3F and 3A. If she drops 3A, she would only have 3T, 3Lo and 3F in her arsenal. That would limit her a lot in FS. She also does not have a reliable 3/3 anymore. They are bound to give her trouble and most likely get called for UR on them. Besides, she hasn't done them for a while in competition so it would be really hard for her to be able to put one in for the Olympics. Right now the 3A is her main point getter and she cannot afford to drop 3A if she wants to be competitive. Unfortunately for her she is having consistency issues with 3A. I believe that her only choice is to get 3A as reliable as possible for Vancouver. If she can do that she'll have a good chance... even for the gold.

  15. #135
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    54
    If Mao would insist 3 triple axels, I think the focus of Mao's training on 3 axel should be on trying to fully rotate it, which may end up with falling more often than landing for now. As long as she mainly tries to land on her axels in any way (during practices and competitions) but not to fall, I am not sure whether her axel problem (e.g., pre-rotation & under-rotation) will eventually get improved even in the future.
    Last edited by so_proud; 01-27-2010 at 09:39 PM.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •